Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #1

Fisheye Lens question

Hi Y'all, Happy new Year!!
I recently just purchased Opteka 0.35 x AF HD2 fisheye lens. I am trying to search for camera settings for this lens & having no luck. The lens did not come with instructions at a;; & I went to the site to see if their were any tutorials.

I have a k-7 & it is compatible with my camera. Does anyone have any experience with this would not mine helping me!!

Here is the link: Opteka 0.35x High Definition II Wide Angle Panoramic Macro Fisheye Lens for Digital Cameras

Thank you in advance

01-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Attach it to the front of an existing lens using the filter threads. Then shoot as normal.
01-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, you'll probably want to go manual, there, too. Add-on 'fisheyes' are going to be weird at best. That's the fun part, cause technically, they're just awful. Embrace the weird, don't try to emulate good optics. Try it on different lenses, if you have em, and not just the widest ones. Fun, not picky! Fun!

(The compatibility, btw, is not about the camera, it's about the lens you attach the adapter to. Most notaby, the filter thread size of said lens, if you want to attach it, but there are step rings. Also, the shape and design of the lens itself matters regarding how they work, but most lenses you are likely to have will allow you room to play. )

(Assuming you have a kit lens (18-55 of some description) and the fishie thing attaches, though, try setting yourself to Av mode and selecting an aperture of 5.6 or a higher number: quite possibly higher is better, at least to a point: try shooting there and changing your aperture setting upward, and see what you get. Do the same with zooming. (start from the widest setting: lowest number) See what you get. Don't worry about coming back with any more questions, (whether you do that or not) )

Anyway, what you've got coming isn't something your camera's computer knows a thing about, can't find out about, wouldn't know about if it were a computer piece with a big cord, plug, and an AOL subscription offer: anyway, it's just a funny add-on lens you can screw on. But that's where the fun actually can begin, however we may say 'Shame, shame,' when someone claims it is like some kind of programmed peripheral.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 01-03-2011 at 02:11 PM.
01-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #4

Original Poster
I am playing around with it..and yes I have a kit lens & also 3 other lenses as well! It did come with the stepping rings (I did have some already) This fisheye has a macro lens that is detachable & when I use it on my lens, it is all blur...will not focus at all! Not sure what is up with that! I appreciate all of your help. I definitely will be playing with it. If you know anything about the detachable macro, please let me know!

Thanks again guys!

01-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There should be nothing else to it Debra. Plug and play.
Let us know if there is anything specific you want to know about it.
01-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Debra Heschl Quote
I am playing around with it..and yes I have a kit lens & also 3 other lenses as well! It did come with the stepping rings (I did have some already) This fisheye has a macro lens that is detachable & when I use it on my lens, it is all blur...will not focus at all! Not sure what is up with that! I appreciate all of your help. I definitely will be playing with it. If you know anything about the detachable macro, please let me know!

Thanks again guys!
Separate 'macro' lenses will be just as they appear: magnifying glasses. Nothing will likely look clear until you get very close to something.
01-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Debra Heschl Quote
Hi Y'all, Happy new Year!!
I recently just purchased Opteka 0.35 x AF HD2 fisheye lens. I am trying to search for camera settings for this lens & having no luck. The lens did not come with instructions at a;; & I went to the site to see if their were any tutorials.

I have a k-7 & it is compatible with my camera. Does anyone have any experience with this would not mine helping me!!

Here is the link: Opteka 0.35x High Definition II Wide Angle Panoramic Macro Fisheye Lens for Digital Cameras

Thank you in advance
What you purchased is not a lens but a lens Attachment. As noted you just put it on to one of your existing lenses and fire away. You'll probably find that with some lenses (or settings on zooms) there is a considerable amount of vignetting.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Separate 'macro' lenses will be just as they appear: magnifying glasses. Nothing will likely look clear until you get very close to something.
VERY close. It's been my experience that with closeup lenses, focal lengths are in the order of a couple inches and DOF is almost nil.

01-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Right, Jeff. Of course, this kind of thing isn't so much about what you can buy in a nice SLR, as what you *can't.* Part of that can in fact involve finding out what you get when you combine optical things in ways the name on the prism housing never intended. Just ask 13-year-old me.