Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
US falling more into totalitarianism

how easily the barriers crumble......
Court: No warrant needed to search cell phone

QuoteQuote:
"This ruling isn't just wrong, it's dangerous," said Rasch, now director of cybersecurity and privacy at computer security firm CSC in Virginia. "It's remarkable, because it simply misunderstands the nature of these devices."

The door is open for police to search the entire contents of iPhones or other smart phones that people routinely carry, he said.

"In fact, I would be shocked if police weren't getting instructions right now to do just that," he said.

By applying the "personal property on the defendant's person" standard, Rasch said, the ruling could logically extend to tablets or even laptop computers, he said.

It also flies in the face of established law, which prohibits the warrantless search of briefcases by police, other than a quick search for weapons, Rasch said.

In its ruling, the majority likened cell phone inspection to police inspection of a cigarette pack taken from a suspect, which was ruled a legal search in a prior case. A second ruling was cited involving the search of clothing removed from a suspect.

Rasch said the analogies don't hold, however, as modern phones that can store years' worth of personal information are a far cry from drugs hidden in a cigarette case or clothes pockets.

"There is a process for looking at data inside devices,” he said. “It's called a warrant."
Court: No warrant needed to search cell phone - The Red Tape Chronicles - msnbc.com
Another look in case msnbc it too "biased" for you all.......
http://blogs.forbes.com/kashmirhill/2011/01/04/why-your-cell-phone-is-more-p...mepagechannels
http://www.sconet.state.oh.us/PIO/summaries/2009/1215/081781.asp

Last edited by jeffkrol; 01-04-2011 at 06:29 PM.
01-05-2011, 03:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm just so proud of are country police state moving in
01-05-2011, 06:49 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Good reading for anyone concerned about history repeating itself can be found here.
Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany: Amazon.ca: William L. Shirer: Books
Were I an American I would be very concerned.
01-05-2011, 07:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Good reading for anyone concerned about history repeating itself can be found here.
Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany: Amazon.ca: William L. Shirer: Books
Were I an American I would be very concerned.
We may need breathing room........ of course south is warmer...

01-05-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
Inactive Account

The biggest threat to freedom and privacy and the biggest step towards totalitarianism that was ever taken in recent times in the US was the PATRIOT Act. It has been unfortunate to see it get renewed by congresses controlled by both parties and signed by presidents of both parties.

Hatred of freedom and privacy seems to be an area of bipartisan agreement in washington.
01-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
The biggest threat to freedom and privacy and the biggest step towards totalitarianism that was ever taken in recent times in the US was the PATRIOT Act. It has been unfortunate to see it get renewed by congresses controlled by both parties and signed by presidents of both parties.

Hatred of freedom and privacy seems to be an area of bipartisan agreement in washington.
agree............
01-05-2011, 11:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Totalitarianism (or totalitarian rule) is a political system where the state, usually under the control of a single political person, faction, or class, recognizes no limits to its authority and strives to regulate every aspect of public and private life wherever feasible.
[2] Totalitarianism is generally characterized by the coincidence of authoritarianism (where ordinary citizens have less significant share in state decision-making) and ideology (a pervasive scheme of values promulgated by institutional means to direct most if not all aspects of public and private life).
[3]
Totalitarian regimes or movements stay in political power through an all-encompassing propaganda disseminated through the state-controlled mass media, a single party that is often marked by personality cultism, control over the economy, regulation and restriction of speech, mass surveillance, and widespread use of state terrorism.

now lets be honest do you really think that we are there?
01-05-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JACOBY Quote
I'm just so proud of are country police state moving in
I'm just so proud of our educational system.

01-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hookt on fonix reely wurkt fur mee.
01-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I'm just so proud of our educational system.
Yeah Jimmy really improved it when he started the DOE didn't he? Another great move Jimmy.

Another department that can be abolished.
01-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's all the hippies' fault! Didn't they know thinking about not getting ripped off on health insurance would lead to this stuff we're doing!

It's your fault for not successfully-stopping us!

Now look what you let us do! Let us do more or we can't avoid it!

If we don't stop 'The Left' from getting in our way, they'll make us take even more 'jobs' away!

Stop hitting yourself! Hey, judo's no fair!
01-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
Totalitarianism (or totalitarian rule) is a political system where the state, usually under the control of a single political person, faction, or class, recognizes no limits to its authority and strives to regulate every aspect of public and private life wherever feasible.
[2] Totalitarianism is generally characterized by the coincidence of authoritarianism (where ordinary citizens have less significant share in state decision-making) and ideology (a pervasive scheme of values promulgated by institutional means to direct most if not all aspects of public and private life).
[3]
Totalitarian regimes or movements stay in political power through an all-encompassing propaganda disseminated through the state-controlled mass media, a single party that is often marked by personality cultism, control over the economy, regulation and restriction of speech, mass surveillance, and widespread use of state terrorism.

now lets be honest do you really think that we are there?
Do you really not feel that things are moving in that direction on more than a few metrics in your country?
01-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Do you really not feel that things are moving in that direction on more than a few metrics in your country?
what does that expression mean?..never come across it before...
01-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I suppose a direct affect of the bastards bombing you..are less freedom and a lot more big brother ...for your own good that is... personally Id rather somebody s Iphone is searched toot sweet ...and prevent a few deaths..

when I was a kid growing up..bombs were blowing up Pubs and army barracks all over the UK..thanks to the IRA { some of that funded by American sympathiser :{ } ...so the government introduced a SUSS { suspect} law... basicly ..if you looked suspect..they could snatch you off a street..and stick you in the Nick for 24hrs without cause or charge......if that prevented a bomb or two going off, bloody good job

the problem with these laws..is making sure they are removed once the threat has passed
01-05-2011, 05:12 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
what does that expression mean?..never come across it before...
Parameters, categories, that sort of thing.
I picked the term up from my workplace, so I expect it is business speak.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote

the problem with these laws..is making sure they are removed once the threat has passed
That's one problem. The other is the application of them. For example, the police don't like being photographed, so they trump up a lame duck excuse about photographers being akin to terrorists and then harass photographers.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 01-05-2011 at 05:19 PM.