Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2011, 07:11 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Diagonal Method

What do you think of this: http://www.diagonalmethod.info/

It is a theory of photographic and visual arts composition.

Last edited by Sparkle; 01-05-2011 at 01:22 PM.
01-05-2011, 08:00 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
it looks like a link to some external .info site that won't work because it has 2 http's in it and no explanation as to why I should visit it.
01-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Now working.
01-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Interesting theory, perhaps it supports something about what looks right with a why.

But I find the application thereof a bit situational: e.g. Nick Cage with the watch gets two diagonals, but whatshisname with the Ixus only gets one. Yet, the other diagonal would cross his visible eye.

This is an intersting thing to be aware of in addition to the rule of thirds, but the whole thing would have been better if they illustrated ALL the diagonals, the way they did with the r'o'3rds diagrams.

01-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is what I do all the time. LightRoom has the possibility to show the diagonals in the cropping tool, instead of the thirds-lines.....
01-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Interesting theory, perhaps it supports something about what looks right with a why.

But I find the application thereof a bit situational: e.g. Nick Cage with the watch gets two diagonals, but whatshisname with the Ixus only gets one. Yet, the other diagonal would cross his visible eye.

This is an intersting thing to be aware of in addition to the rule of thirds, but the whole thing would have been better if they illustrated ALL the diagonals, the way they did with the r'o'3rds diagrams.
He does mention in the camera ad that the only thing that matters is the camera.
01-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It's an interesting article, and it makes a lot of sense. Rather than presenting an intellectual argument for the reason for the concept, it makes an intuitive argument instead. In other words it says that what feels right, from the eye of the artist, is probably right intuitively, because it will be intuitively understood by the viewer.
01-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Saw this same article linked in another post (Takumar thread I think) a year or so ago, and it changed the way I shot and edit in PP. Like Rense said, you can turn on this grid type in Lightroom....I did so, and haven't looked back.

01-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I am not a believer based on those images.
01-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

IMHO one may draw virtual lines all over images to try to impose some compositional scheme or another, but I'm not sure they're really meaningful or useful. That's like looking for acrostic bible codes. See some books on page layout and typography for compositions that have worked for centuries.

Meanwhile, I prefer my diagonals a bit more fully realized and up-front. Like, I often spin and crop so that angled lines hit the frame corners. I guess that's one of my style 'signatures' -- not full-across diagonals, or even necessarily parallels, just lines angled into corners. Try it.