Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Internet keyword filter?

For my 2000th post, I figured to make it one to help me as well as the rest of the thinking human race if there is an answer to meet my question/fantasy.

My question is: Is there such a software or otherwise way to have the internet filter any story/article/result/etc with a particular and specific keyword?
For example...Let's say I want to filter the word "Kardashian" from my results and end up that any story/result on any web page I visit which contained that keyword would excluded from view completely? Also true for any example with the keywords "Aguilera", "Lohan", "Bieber", etc, etc etc.

If this software or ability exists, can you point me in that direction?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

(and, happy new year to all!)

01-06-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On google I think you can use -(keyword) to exclude a keyword from the results.
01-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yup, Adam is right. Every search engine I'm aware of allows the use of the minus sign to exclude words.
01-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think I am being misunderstood here. Let me re-phrase the thought and question. I am aware of how to use the (-subject) command to filter out a search when you want to eliminate those words with any other search word, I am talking about something that will refuse to appear as an image or text in any place I may be online at the time. Say I want to look something up on nytimes.com and on their front home page is something having to do with Pepsi Cola, be it an advert or a story about their stock prices, as an example. Let's say I had the key word "Pepsi Cola" on my eliminate list.....and when I logged on to nytimes.com, because I had the filter on, that advert or story would not appear on that web page. simply as a missing image and/or text and the stories or adverts that did not contain those keywords appeared as normal. This is an example only.

Jason

01-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Sounds like a high-tech killfile. I dunno if that's possible fully, but I think some security suites might allow some of it. Parental controls, perhaps.
01-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Parental controls, perhaps.
Indeed. Define COCA-COLA and CANON and CHEDDAR and KIT-LENS as rank obscenities; define PP and DRY-CLEANING and PRAYING and WORKING as deviant sexual acts; and you can skip any and all mention of them. Hmm, folks of any particular political-religious-social bent could auto-censor all news that disturbs their preconceived notions. But isn't that already rampant?
01-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Indeed. Define COCA-COLA and CANON and CHEDDAR and KIT-LENS as rank obscenities; define PP and DRY-CLEANING and PRAYING and WORKING as deviant sexual acts; and you can skip any and all mention of them. Hmm, folks of any particular political-religious-social bent could auto-censor all news that disturbs their preconceived notions. But isn't that already rampant?

But you'd never get rickrolled again!

Could be kind of fun if you could have it find-and-replace common buzzwords with Mr. T. quotes or something. Then you could read the news and play Mad Libs at the same time.
01-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I think I am being misunderstood here. Let me re-phrase the thought and question. I am aware of how to use the (-subject) command to filter out a search when you want to eliminate those words with any other search word, I am talking about something that will refuse to appear as an image or text in any place I may be online at the time. Say I want to look something up on nytimes.com and on their front home page is something having to do with Pepsi Cola, be it an advert or a story about their stock prices, as an example. Let's say I had the key word "Pepsi Cola" on my eliminate list.....and when I logged on to nytimes.com, because I had the filter on, that advert or story would not appear on that web page. simply as a missing image and/or text and the stories or adverts that did not contain those keywords appeared as normal. This is an example only.

Jason
Under what you are describing, no it's not possible. While you can focus a search with various modifiers, searchs only work on external information about the page, not the page content itself, nor any internally linked advertisers.

01-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

As said, the parental controls of internet security products (or the browser) would probably work for text. Pictures are a lot hairier to deal with (which probably is why some spammers are fond of sending them).