Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I am officially done with UPS

I'm still sitting here waiting for my new kx. My package has been "on the truck for delivery" for 3 days now. Unfortunately the whole situation is a cluster. Last Wednesday I ordered my camera. I tried to order it from adorama but they were sold out so I went and ordered it through abes of Maine. First mistake. The people in that company have terrible customer service/people skills. This was my first time ordering from them (usually go through amazon). I get a call and an email an hour later saying they needed some "more information" from me about the order. Never had any other place ever call me so I'm thinking there's some sort of a problem. After sitting on hold 15 minutes because I want to get everything straightened out, I get some clown trying to upsell me every accessory he can think of. Telling me I only get a 30 day warranty with my camera blah blah blah. When he finally realizes that I am buying the camera and only the camera he starts to get short with me, cut me off, and hang up on me. Ok....

So I have been keeping a close eye to make sure these clowns are actually shipping my package. And yes, it shipped out UPS ground. I have been tracking it. 2 days ago (tuesday) it arrives at the hub in my city 5 minutes from my house around 5 am. Awesome right? Wrong. It says out for delivery 7 am the same day. So I make sure I try to be around the house as much as possible so I don't miss the ups guy. Heaven forbid he has to wait more than 5 seconds after he knocks. No one shows up. Ok, maybe they were busy, I understand they have a lot of packages that go out and mine was ground and not priority, so the others come first. I track the package and they change the schedule delivery date to Wednesday (instead of Tuesday). Ok, great wednesday works too. Can't complain a whole lot.

So wednesday comes and goes. Same thing as Tuesday, no package, no word from ups. The tracking status changes again saying it will be delivered today. Well today I didn't sit around all day like an idiot. And of course no one showed up, delivery status is the same "on truck for delivery". So I just got off the phone with ups and they offered zero help. Just "I'm sorry, we can start an investigation if you'd like"... Yeah, that's what I want, an investigation. Just give me the damn camera, no one cares about an investigation. So here I sit 500 dollars poorer and no camera. Sorry for such a huge post guys, but I just had to vent. Any help or suggestions?

01-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mustangjoey Quote
I'm still sitting here waiting for my new kx. My package has been "on the truck for delivery" for 3 days now. Unfortunately the whole situation is a cluster. Last Wednesday I ordered my camera. I tried to order it from adorama but they were sold out so I went and ordered it through abes of Maine. First mistake. The people in that company have terrible customer service/people skills. This was my first time ordering from them (usually go through amazon). I get a call and an email an hour later saying they needed some "more information" from me about the order. Never had any other place ever call me so I'm thinking there's some sort of a problem. After sitting on hold 15 minutes because I want to get everything straightened out, I get some clown trying to upsell me every accessory he can think of. Telling me I only get a 30 day warranty with my camera blah blah blah. When he finally realizes that I am buying the camera and only the camera he starts to get short with me, cut me off, and hang up on me. Ok....

So I have been keeping a close eye to make sure these clowns are actually shipping my package. And yes, it shipped out UPS ground. I have been tracking it. 2 days ago (tuesday) it arrives at the hub in my city 5 minutes from my house around 5 am. Awesome right? Wrong. It says out for delivery 7 am the same day. So I make sure I try to be around the house as much as possible so I don't miss the ups guy. Heaven forbid he has to wait more than 5 seconds after he knocks. No one shows up. Ok, maybe they were busy, I understand they have a lot of packages that go out and mine was ground and not priority, so the others come first. I track the package and they change the schedule delivery date to Wednesday (instead of Tuesday). Ok, great wednesday works too. Can't complain a whole lot.

So wednesday comes and goes. Same thing as Tuesday, no package, no word from ups. The tracking status changes again saying it will be delivered today. Well today I didn't sit around all day like an idiot. And of course no one showed up, delivery status is the same "on truck for delivery". So I just got off the phone with ups and they offered zero help. Just "I'm sorry, we can start an investigation if you'd like"... Yeah, that's what I want, an investigation. Just give me the damn camera, no one cares about an investigation. So here I sit 500 dollars poorer and no camera. Sorry for such a huge post guys, but I just had to vent. Any help or suggestions?
I know it must be tough sitting and waiting for something you really want to have it now, trust me I know that feeling with my 400+ lenses that I bought and have them delivered over the years.

Since the UPS hub is pretty close to you house why don't you tell UPS to just leave your package there and you will come and pick up yourself? That way you don't have to rely on their delivery schedule anymore.
01-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can call or stop by the local office and tell them to hold it, then go pick it up yourself during their business hours.

I have very low expectations of all shipping companies and almost always resort to this.

Par for the course, unfortunately.
01-06-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I think I'm going tomorrow. Unfortunately tomorrow is Friday. So if they set it aside Friday when the driver gets back that means no camera for me until Monday. Awesome.

The only place I've never had a problem with is usps

01-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yeah, I think I'm going tomorrow. Unfortunately tomorrow is Friday. So if they set it aside Friday when the driver gets back that means no camera for me until Monday. Awesome.

The only place I've never had a problem with is usps
If you have them hold it tomorrow, you should be able to pick after 8pm the same day. At least that's how it works when I have to have something held and picked up at UPS.
01-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Abe's of Maine- similar experience!
01-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
If they don't have it at Adorama, B&H, or a local retailer, I don't want it.
01-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
Not my experience. Because I live in Upstate NY UPS service from the NY/NJ area is usually 1 or 2 days. What I don't like about UPS is the fact that they ring the doorbell, or not, and run away. Even if its raining or snowing.

It's gotten to the point that if the seller is west of the Mississippi and they don't offer USPS shipping, I won't buy it.

The stupidest service offered by UPS is the one where they ship it by truck cross country, then give it to the USPS locally to deliver. For the same price the USPS will deliver it in less time.

01-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am having problems with 2 amazon issues now, the first was an item orderd last thursday, a flash and a bounce for it. The flash was here tue, the bounce has not changed shipping status since monday, that's with usps.

The other issue is with a dolica tripod that was ordered on dec 18 for $29. I was told its back ordered, yet the price went up to $65 and the stock changed back to in stock. When I asked amazon they said I could cancel my order and order the $65 one. Obviously they think I'm stupid. Its the same tripod, they just don't want to honor their low price.

I think no matter who you go with you get screwed. Good luck with yours.
01-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I agree. It's like trying to find the lesser of three evils. If I could have found the kx local and in white I would have bought local. Just to save this kind of headache.
01-07-2011, 04:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

You sound extremely uptight and impatient. Why not just accept the fact that if you paid for ground shipping, it will take a few days...how long have you been waiting, 3-4 days? Waiting a few days is not the end of the world.

When your K-x arrives (probably today), you'll be in an another world, enjoying your camera and the trivial things will be laughable.

Jason
01-07-2011, 07:45 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Update: I tracked my package this morning and it is now in Commerce City, CO. I live in Rockford,IL. Umm.... How does that happen. It is now due here next Tuesday. Thank you UPS.
01-07-2011, 07:52 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
It's not that I'm uptight or impatient. It's that I sit around waiting at my house all day two days in a row because the tracking info says it is on the truck to be delivered that day. There's a difference, between being impatient and getting bent over by them. I'm doing the latter. I could care less if it takes a couple weeks to get here. But don't tell me it's on the truck on it's way to my house in my city. Then the next day tell me it's in Colorado 3 states away.
01-07-2011, 07:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Update: I tracked my package this morning and it is now in Commerce City, CO. I live in Rockford,IL. Umm.... How does that happen. It is now due here next Tuesday. Thank you UPS.
I'm wondering if after UPS made three attempts to deliver it, they may have sent it back to the sender (I think that is their policy if you don't call to have it held). But if you say it's due on Tuesday then I'm not really sure what is going on.
01-07-2011, 08:23 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Over a one year period, a few years ago, I had exactly 20 packages sent to me via UPS. 7 of them showed up with the contents mangled, shattered, or otherwise destroyed. 3 of them never showed up at all. My favorite was when one day they delivered a package to my apartment, and the very next day listed it as an undeliverable address.

Both my wife and a couple of my friends have worked at the local hub during the holiday rush period over the years. It is always the same story - towards the end of a long night out on the tarmac, "Fragile" translates to "Take it out on me".

I have never had a problem with FedEx, and their delivery persons are always courteous and respectful. On the other hand I have nothing but problems with UPS, or as I call it, "Oops". I could make a privately owned ruck vs. unionized employee statement here, but in this circumstance the two examples have already done it for me.