Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
Banned

Bill O'Reilly is clueless about the Tides !

O'REILLY: I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam, in my opinion: tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that.
SILVERMAN: Tide goes in, tide goes out?

O'REILLY: See, the water, the tide comes in and it goes out, Mr. Silverman. It always comes in, and always goes out. You can't explain that.

Bill O'Reilly on Science: You Can't Explain the Tides - O'Reilly flubs science in debate with man behind atheist billboards

01-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
" The Spin Stops Here" must be interpreted to mean that no one can put a better spin on things than that blowhard. Interesting program however!
01-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It is unimportant what he credits God for. It's that he credits God.
01-07-2011, 01:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't get it. Is this O'Reilly show regarded as entertainment only or is it for real?

I saw a short clip for a long time ago where he were clueless about something else (I think it was energy production/consumption in scandinavia). He was telling lies without hesitating. I disregarded it as right wing misinformation/lobbying from FOX at the time but later thought that it may have been just for fun.

01-07-2011, 01:53 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Mr. Silverman (above), who O'Reilly had on his show, is head of an Atheist association in the USA. The hour long show on Fox airs weekdays at 8 pm, 11 pm, and 5 am EST. It has over 3 million viewers and is rated the # 1 news show in cable TV. Its been on since 1996. He personally makes $10,000,000.00 /year. He is a devote Irish bred Christian.
01-07-2011, 06:14 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
....... He was telling lies without hesitating.
They teach that in journalism 101.
01-07-2011, 06:34 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
He was telling lies without hesitating. .....
When an ignorant person utters an untruth is it a lie? I think not; to tell a lie implies intent to deceive.

He likely believes the ignorant foolishness he spouts and thinks his passion is sufficient proof of truth; unfortunately, much of the public apparently agrees.

01-07-2011, 07:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
When an ignorant person utters an untruth is it a lie? I think not; to tell a lie implies intent to deceive.

He likely believes the ignorant foolishness he spouts and thinks his passion is sufficient proof of truth; unfortunately, much of the public apparently agrees.
When a Republican says something you fail to agree with it's a lie. When a democrat utters something you fail to agree with they ram it down your maw and make it a law.

Parallax, that only occurs in the liberal colleges. Which is almost all of them eh?
01-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnInIndy Quote
When a Republican says something you fail to agree with it's a lie. When a democrat utters something you fail to agree with they ram it down your maw and make it a law....
Ignorance is ignorance regardless of political or philosophical bent. Neither passion nor faith implies truth (except maybe in religious or political philosophy where truth is predefined and independent of reality.)
01-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

If O'Reilly doesn't know that almost any child can explain how the tide comes in and goes out, then when he says 'You can't explain that' ...Well, colossal ignorance or massive dishonesty, take your pick.
01-07-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

ok without looking at wikipedia or anywhere else give me the reason for the tides coming in and going out.
01-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
ok without looking at wikipedia or anywhere else give me the reason for the tides coming in and going out.
Here's a clue - look up in the night sky...
01-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

simplistic answer and the moon is not the only cause of a wave the moons gravitational effect has influence on the height of the waves it is not the cause of the waves. try again
01-07-2011, 09:28 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Back in seventh grade, the tides were caused by the gravitational pull of the moon and the earths rotation. Did something change?

There are many unexplainable forces. The tides are not one of them. If Bill O'Reilly wants to debate the issue of creation and religion vs scientific theory, he shouldn't be asking questions that can be answered on the "Ask a Fifth Grader" show.
01-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #15
Inactive Account

My thought is that, like many, that it is , as the Lady above says "colossal ignorance". IMO it is predicated on a fear to understand the reality. The fear of diminishing the concept of a god. But let us not get into that again.

My question is why are people afraid to call another a "lier". News commentators and others insist that one has "mis-spoken" when clearly the person has lied. One may mis-speak if one uses a malaprop or mis-reads a word or accidentally mis-quotes someone for examples. However, one who makes a false statement with a deliberate intent to deceive is a lier.
Closed Thread