Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2007, 10:46 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
I orginally upgraded from a SP1000 screwmount Film Pentax to a K100D for backwards compatability with a small collection of lenses I owned, read reviews and with the price of a K100D and pentax kit lens online being affordable... Logical choice...

What I discovered after the K100D arrived.
- Noticeably smaller viewfinder that the WIDESCREEN Pentaprism of the old SP1000
- The Pentax 18-55 Kit lens is great
- Change the colour setting to Vivid as I have always loved superbright photos I would get with my 55mm F2.0 on ISO100 Film
- Bright sharp images that pop out of the screen/print
- LBA has struck with an order now placed for FA 50mm F1.4

Oh yeah one other reason.. (Well three actually... ) My Triplet daughters...

10-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Grew up with Pentax.
My father bought the first model SLR Pentax and he, and I, have been there since. On his passing I inherited several Pentax lens so was a natural progression.
Lens compatability, Pentax and other brand lenses, old and new, coupled with size and quality of results, innovation of technology etc. etc. etc , just begin to explain my dedication to Pentax.
10-05-2007, 02:36 PM   #33
Veteran Member

- Features / Dollar
- Body SR
- Available Optical Quality and Large Buffer in RAW
- Price of body and lens
- Ergonomic Praises
- 2 e-dials

And there's something about not following the main stream and still getting an excellent (in this case, better) product.

Moved to a DSLR over my advanced prosumer because I wanted the option to have less depth of field and faster shot to shot speeds.
10-06-2007, 07:22 AM   #34
Veteran Member

1974....a friend gave me a k1000
1998....heading to england, bought a zx-10 cause i had four pent' lenses
2005... converted to digital and bought a "ds "....now had five lenses + 2 kits with the ds
2007....added the k10d.....passed on the k1000 to a friend that dropped it and seperated the coupler from the body.....superglued it back on and it works fine.......
Pentax rocks !.....they have never been a lesser choice, only an undiscovered one.......

........" the best tool to have ?.......the one you need at the time !

10-06-2007, 11:11 PM   #35
Pentaxian

(I'm using my reply to the question when it was asked in Oct 06...)

32 years ago I bought my second SLR - a Canon EF - that was sitting right next to a Pentax. Both were $300 with a 50mm 1.8. I don't recall what the deciding factor was.

About 30 years, three bodies and 5 lenses later (not counting Bronica 6x6), most of it was sitting in a closet because I was sort of burnt out on lugging it all around. Then I had a bit of extra $$$ for toys, I decided to "try" digital photography in the form of a Canon A95. I liked it well enough to buy an A620 after the A95 was stolen in a burglary.

However, the focal length of the A620 was a bit limiting (35-140 equiv) especially wide angle, and conversion lenses are somewhat disappointing.

So, I was reading the reviews on DSLSs on another forum, and talked myself into getting a DSLR.

I started shopping with the Canon XTi (a bit small) and the Nikon D80 (a bit large).

I figured I would get three lenses, and though I did not have a specific budget I quickly decided I was not going to invest in Canon or Nikon lenses at about $1000 a pop.

With that brand restriction removed, it became much easier to shop. I saw the Pentax 10-17mm fisheye which brought back fond memories of my Canon 15mm 2.8.
10-07-2007, 02:25 AM   #36

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gpaual Quote
1974....a friend gave me a k1000
Wow, I wasn't even born then

My first camera was an Agfa ISO-Rapid (1 I think) that I got from my uncle (who was very much into photography back then but he stopped and sold everything and switched to computers. That was in the 80's I guess).

The ISO-Rapid was a nice camera IF you rememberd that the viewfinder was not inline with the lens so the subject in the middle of the viewfinder would actually be on the left side of the picture (so anything on the left would fall off).

I still have that one but I guess it's hard to find lightbulbs for the flash (I know it was extremely hard to find bulbs and batteries when I got the camera and that's 20 years ago orso).

My next camera was a very cheap one and I don't think it was any brand.

My first digital camera was the FujiFilm FinePix A204 followed by the Canon PowerShot A510 and now replaced by the K100D Super.

I also made some B&W pictures a few years ago with my fathers camera (was an adventure since I needed a lux-meter (light meter) to set the correct shutter time and Aperture for the film but I didn't have such a meter so I had to borrow one from my uncle who fortunatly kept one around when he sold everything). My fathers camera was a Yashica "J" (claimed to be sold to people who had a name starting with the letter J and however my father's name is Jean he claim to have gotton it from his brother when he bought a better one. and his name is Pierre so that story is a myth ).

Anyways, I would love to scan the B&W images and post them here for review but unfortunatly my brother gave the pictures AND the negatives to someone else a few years ago and I never saw them again

So as you can see I have no real experience with a "real" camera (SLR or dSLR) so it's gonna be a challenge for me to figure everything out and I'm planning on at least learning howto do stuff manually (focus and stuff like that).

which leaves me with another question, do you set all these things on the lens like with older camera's (except for ISO since that was the film type and you couldn't change that) Aperture and shutter time or do you do this in the camera these days (electronically instead of manually like before).

Pentax rocks !.....they have never been a lesser choice, only an undiscovered one.......

........" the best tool to have ?.......the one you need at the time ![/QUOTE]
10-07-2007, 10:56 AM   #37
Inactive Account

I researched for weeks (months?) before I decided on the K100D...for me it was value, in-body SR and the fact that Pentax has been on the cutting edge in all sorts of optics for decades.

10-08-2007, 07:01 PM   #38
jro

I wanted to shoot in low light without a flash for as cheap as I could get away with. Getting a K100D meant I could use some old manual K mount lenses I had, including a 50mm f/1.7, and the in-camera shake reduction would be a big benefit. The value represented by the K100D, 18-55, and 50-200 lenses (with combo rebates) was unbeatable. Of course, 2 weeks later I decided I wanted some more glass, so I wound up replacing the 50 f/1.7 anyway, but I think I've got a pretty nice setup for about $1150 total.
10-09-2007, 04:03 PM   #39

I also researched a lot, having made the decision not to let lens compatibility interfere with the decision - my film SLRs were Minolta, so that part was easy!!

My short-list was the Pentax K10D, and a Canon and Nikon in roughly the same price-range - forgotten the model numbers by now, I'm afraid!! On paper I really liked the Nikon, but oddly enough it just didn't feel right in my hands - can't say why. I think this is probably the most important step when choosing a new camera body - you have to hold it, handle it, and then switch the brain off and the guts and heart on!

A bit more mulling and thinking and reading forums like this, and ultimately there were two things that decided it for me:

1. the weather-proof body - I travel a lot, to very out-of-the-way places (Gobi desert, Iraqi / Turkish border, on small boats in rough seas etc) and expect my cameras to trot along without complaint.

2. this forum, and others like it - I found that the other cameras, while generally very highly thought of, had the occasional user here and there who just didn't like the camera. Pentax users, however overwhelmingly loved their cameras. (Maybe we're just a rose-coloured bunch of Polyannas?) The only two complaints were the lack of saturation / sharpness out of the box, which is eminently "fixable" if a real problem at all, and the occasional "lemon." I made sure I avoided the latter potential pitfall by buying more expensively from a real camera shop with a good reputation for putting wrongs right, and, as it happened, got a perfect camera which I adore.

Long story... sorry!
10-10-2007, 07:09 AM   #40

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mandi Quote
I found that the other cameras, while generally very highly thought of, had the occasional user here and there who just didn't like the camera. Pentax users, however overwhelmingly loved their cameras. (Maybe we're just a rose-coloured bunch of Polyannas?)

Long story... sorry!
Well I see nothing wrong with being honest about the camera but I don't know if that's the same as don't like the camera.

what I mean is when someone asks about the K10D and you personally have an isue with 1 or more features I would find it better that you just said something like : "I love my K10D But I have an issue with the noise the mirror makes when taking pictures" then to just state something like "The K10D is PERFECT" (off course that's fine if you really feel like that).

but I guess you're talking about people who are not happy with 1 or 2 minor problems but people who are really unhappy about the entire camera.
10-10-2007, 11:52 PM   #41

Yeah - or perhaps they were unhappy with things that really wouldn't have mattered to me - the only example I can think of is perhaps someone who was seriously into sports photography would have chosen the Canon (I think) which can shoot faster for longer than anything else and therefore might have felt the Pentax was too slow. The chances of my ever even shooting three or four shots in a row are minimal. So I would have not even thought of that as a "complaint!"
10-11-2007, 02:55 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mandi Quote
... the only example I can think of is perhaps someone who was seriously into sports photography would have chosen the Canon (I think) which can shoot faster for longer than anything else...
Then this person could get a Canon body for sports - compared to those Canon fast sports lenses, a body isn't much really.
And she/he still can use Pentax for everything else.
10-11-2007, 06:21 AM   #43

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ddhytz Quote
Then this person could get a Canon body for sports - compared to those Canon fast sports lenses, a body isn't much really.
And she/he still can use Pentax for everything else.
but wouldn't most photographers stick with 1 brand (their favorite) ?

I mean, I recently (April) bought a Road racing bike (my first) from a local cycle store. I'm very happy with the bike and IF I would buy a 2nd one (or a replacement one in a few years) I would very likely buy one from that same brand as well, since I know it's a good quality product.
This doesn't mean that other brands are bad just that I prefer this brand (for the moment).

I think it would be the same for a camera and other products.
10-11-2007, 07:27 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I took a class in college and my dad bought me an SLR for it. Pentax ZX-7 and I loved it. Never shot with a canikon or anything else. Been with pentax ever since.
10-11-2007, 07:44 AM   #45
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Cloudy Wizzard;103166]Wow, I wasn't even born then

........then you my friend are in the birthing room of the digital age.....study well, but neglect not.....FUN !