Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2007, 06:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Grey market cameras and lenses

I've seen the term grey market used in several threads yet, when I ask the question about what people are refering the question is either missed or for some reason, ignored.

So here's a direct question: What are grey market cameras and lenses? No way you'll miss a whole thread eh!

Thanks

10-04-2007, 07:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Generally speaking, grey market items are items that are not produced/distributed for their specific region. When items are distributed, they're distributed to a specific region, such as Japan. But, places online can get their hands on these items and sell it in the US, therefore making it a grey market item. Technically they're not illegal, just being sold outside of normal distribution channels. Most of the time, you don't get warranty for these items.

Grey market - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Toshi; 10-04-2007 at 09:52 AM.
10-04-2007, 09:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Toshi, for enlightning me. Here I was thinking Grey Market were fakes.

Also, please see your PM.
10-04-2007, 09:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

JC, emailed replied. Let me know if you didn't get it, the email form was kind of lagging when I sent it

10-04-2007, 09:53 AM   #5
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just a note that it is possible to get international warranty for Pentax lenses, but normally you get the warranty for the country you buy the lens in, you then need to exchange that warranty card for an international one, most likely you can only do that in the country where the lens was bought.