Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Guns and ammo

Think back to winter and spring of 2009 after Obama was inaugurated and the dems had total control over congress...

Do you remember all the stories about gun and ammo prices shooting through the roof and gun shops were selling out of ammo? The story was that the wackos were hording ammo because they were afraid Pelosi and Obama were going to take away their guns and ammo.

Does anyone know if this is still the case? I don't know b/c I don't have any guns and therefore don't need any ammo, shooting can even more expensive hobby than photography. But it seems like the risk of any gun laws being passed is much lower now that republicans have control over the house.

01-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, the mad stampede has stopped and things are pretty much back to normal. I am an avid shooter and yes, it can be very expensive but reloading keeps the cost down. The irony here is that Nancy Pelosi, in an interview over a year ago, said that they would not be pushing for any new gun laws because of what happened in the 1994 mid-term after the passage of the Assault Weapon Ban legislation. They didn't want to risk loosing control of the House again. (How's that workin' for ya?)
Gun and ammo sales went crazy in November of 2008. Obama won the award for gun salesman of the year.
01-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Actually, the mad stampede has stopped and things are pretty much back to normal.(edit:) I am an avid shooter and yes, it can be very expensive but reloading keeps the cost down. The irony here is that Nancy Pelosi, in an interview over a year ago, said that they would not be pushing for any new gun laws because of what happened in the 1994 mid-term after the passage of the Assault Weapon Ban legislation. They didn't want to risk loosing control of the House again. (How's that workin' for ya?)
Gun and ammo sales went crazy in November of 2008. Obama won the award for gun salesman of the year.
errr.. kinda supports the crazy right theory don't ya think.........

kids do the darnedest things........

Scenes From the Real America | The Washington Independent
Opps.. full link:
http://washingtonindependent.com/37360/scenes-from-the-real-america

Last edited by jeffkrol; 01-10-2011 at 09:05 PM.
01-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
.50 cal machine guns? If so, no wonder it gets expensive :-)

01-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
.50 cal machine guns? If so, no wonder it gets expensive :-)
$120 to fire 75 rounds w/ an AK-47.........
01-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
Banned

Actually, the mad stampede has stopped and things are pretty much back to normal. I am an avid shooter and yes, it can be very expensive but reloading keeps the cost down. The irony here is that Nancy Pelosi, in an interview over a year ago, said that they would not be pushing for any new gun laws because of what happened in the 1994 mid-term after the passage of the Assault Weapon Ban legislation. They didn't want to risk loosing control of the House again. (How's that workin' for ya?)
I see they are 100% correct when they say conservatives are filled with fear.

Conservatives Scare More Easily Than Liberals, Say Scientists :

Conservatives Scare More Easily Than Liberals, Say Scientists | Wired Science | Wired.com
01-10-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It is not expensive if your employer pays for it

A once in a lifetime opportunity as there was left over ammo and they allowed about 50 of us to volunteer to fire two types of machine guns a shot gun, assult rifle and a pistol (unfortunately ran out of ammo before my turn on the hand gun)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 40D  Photo 
01-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #8
Banned

I have an Expert badge with the M60 machine gun from FT Ord CA in early 1966 and was paid by the US Army to shoot it. And when I was in Alaska in the 172nd Infantry Brigade I was on the Brigade rifle team and was on indoor and outdoor ranges for many months just shooting many weapons.

Here is a photo I shot with my Canon Pellix QL w/58mm F1.2 during one of our winter war games.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYXsKPdGf4E[/YT]
01-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
Pentaxian

If they gave out badges I would have easier got the extreme novice or pre novice ones
01-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Shoot primative firearms almost all the time, which isnt easy to do on a public
range anymore, primarily because of safety issue's related to loose powder.
can see little difference between the thought process involved there or when
I load a roll of film into an old body and start "bangin away" that way.
One shot at a time,with a lot of thinking in-between.

As far as any gun legislation, who's going to bring it to the floor for a vote?
Who's got the gavel?

Think that kid up there knock'd on the door trick or treating
at least, wanna hope so.

Last edited by BillM; 01-10-2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: spelin
01-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote

As far as any gun legislation, who's going to bring it to the floor for a vote?
Who's got the gavel?
I rather imaging that it would be open season on politicians if anyone tried to bring in gun legislation. Americans are too hung up on their toys that kill to allow any sort of rational thought about them.
01-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

C'mon Wheat, everyone, inclusive?
But when I look at that kid in the silly little hat, you have a strong argument.
01-10-2011, 10:44 PM   #13
Inactive Account

So...you're saying he should've banned them?

QuoteQuote:
Those meth-heads who were looking to go all Texas Book Depository on Obama had certainly gotten all their gear together.

Classy.
01-11-2011, 05:52 AM   #14
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

As to how you got that from what I wrote I am, to use jogiba's favorite word, clueless. My point was that the irony is in the fact that they refrained from doing what they really wanted to do for fear of political defeat and got their hats handed to them anyway.
01-11-2011, 06:18 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
looking at american kids wearing nazi hat and with all the availability of weapons...I am not surprized what happened to Giffords or anyone else before
Closed Thread