Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2007, 01:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photog jobs

Over the last 2 months, I have been picking up a few part time photography assignments. The jobs varied from interschool competitions to birthday parties. Among them, the most challenging ones are weddings!

Here are some feelings of mine towards the pentax gear.

Sports: AF is really a waste of time. A* 300 f2.8 with various adaptors beats Fa* 300 f4.5 by a mile. This lens did not get me many photos but gave me a few winners. The school editing departments loved some particular shots of the scholarship winning pupils. Therefore some of the shots will be used for their school open day exhibition etc.

From time to time, I had to take 1ds mark II out with EF 400 f5.6 hooked on. Simply because I need a number of "thumbnail" shots for the schools. Therefore details are not really a concern. I felt "capturing" the moments are still very important and it was not hard at all using this set up.

Parties: Really Da 14 f2.8 is probably the only lens really needed. Fa 31 ltd could be of some use but DA 14 still wins. The parties have a lot of dark lighting. The most imporant thing is to capture the theme with a bit of surrounding details but just not one person's face. Da 14 with ISO 500 and SR really works out well most of the time. Fa 43 ltd hunts all the time and lacking the details needed; Fa 77 wide open suffers poor details in these situations (limited space inside people's houses anyway)

Weddings: Still learning to do it better. Preferred photojournalistic style since I just simply do not have the experience to do the traditional wedding photography which is simply to create photos. I love Fa 31 ltd and Fa 77 ltd for this purpose. But I wish I will have my Da* 50-135 so much sooner!! This lens will save me headache of changing lenses during a busy fast-paced wedding ceremony.

I am taking next year off my medical job, just to pick up more expiriences in various aspects of photography. This is really fun when I get to learn when I was in the field (revealin how incompetent and clumpsy I was).

Cheers - just something to share

10-05-2007, 11:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you for sharing

It is so good to hear your various sharing on different settings of photo jobs. Among all, I like to hear which one is your favorite photo job. I visit your blog and you have outstanding photographs and you strike me as an outstanding photo journalist. By any chance, are you planning to do photo jobs as part time or full time.

All the best.
Hin
10-09-2007, 04:10 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations on your decision to take a year off to work with photography.

Also i apreciate you sharing your experince. I recently took some pictures of a theater performance. Shooting the performance and working with the better images in photoshop later left me with a feeling of wanting to incorporte photography as more than a hobby. (better finish my masters degree first though!)

Shot a wedding for som friends this summer, not the "wedding photos", but the ceremony and party. Although they were pleased with the results, i was not. various lighting was the most difficult aspect of it in my experince. Kudos to all who take up that area of photography professionally :-)

Regards