Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Westboro Church's Tucson Funeral Protests to be met by "angels"

Funeral pickets to be met by 'angels' - CNN.com

QuoteQuote:
Tucson just isn't that kind of town, says Christin Gilmer.

Gilmer is referring to the actions of Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kansas, which has made its name protesting the funerals of people who died of AIDS, gay people, soldiers and even Coretta Scott King.

But when the church announced its intention to picket the funeral of a 9-year-old girl -- one of six people who died Saturday during the attempted assassination of U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords -- Gilmer and others put their feet down.

Tucson is a "caring, loving, peaceful community," according to Gilmer, who said two of the six people killed were friends.

"For something like this to happen in Tucson was a really big shock to us all," she said. "Our nightmare happened when we saw Westboro Baptist Church was going to picket the funerals."

They're planning an "angel action" -- with 8- by 10-foot "angel wings" worn by participants and used to shield mourners from pickets. The actions were created by Coloradan Romaine Patterson, who was shocked to find the Topeka church and its neon signs outside the 1999 funeral of Matthew Shepherd, a young gay man beaten and left on a fence to die in Laramie, Wyoming.

"We want to surround them, in a nonviolent way, to say that our community is united," Gilmer said. "We're a peaceful haven.
They are simply trying to defend themselves from these monsters.
The Westboro Baptist Church has taken another step WAY OVER the line. What the hell would they want to protest a 9-year-old girl's funeral for? A 9-year-old girl that died most likely in terror and pain, a way nobody should have to die? Somebody who never got the chance to live out her life?
These "people" sicken me.

01-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Where do these Westboro clowns get their funding? How can they afford to move from place to place protesting and being jerks?
01-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #3

Original Poster
They describe themselves as one large "family" with lots of interior funding. Sounds a bit like the Mafia to me.
01-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SMPhoto Quote
They describe themselves as one large "family" with lots of interior funding. Sounds a bit like the Mafia to me.
The question is how do they get that funding... did someone win the lottery or do they own some kind of business that we can boycott and protest outside of.

I'm thinking a GOD HATES INCEST sign.

01-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what a bunch of mental ill people
01-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
I'm thinking a GOD HATES INCEST sign.

The only thing I could find is that the Phelps family are all lawyers (of course.. chilling thought) and that they all make 6 figure salaries. Not sure any company, except maybe a giant evil corporate such as Monsanto or Haliburton, would steep so low as to fund a group like this with strong ties to the KKK.

EDIT: Just remembered that Visa and MasterCard both have links on the KKK's main website for donations, and say they will let them stay there (WikiLeak's Visa donation widgets, on the other hand, were promptly removed). Wouldn't be surprised if they do the same for Westboro. Unfortunately there is virtually no way of boycotting either of them, unless you love American Express.

Last edited by SMPhoto; 01-11-2011 at 11:27 AM.
01-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Big daddy Fred Phelps is a disbarred lawyer and as Matthew says, the rest are mostly lawyers as well. Most of their money has been raised suing people who interfere with their right to protest.

Frankly they are all a bunch of sick a-holes and one of these days (and I am not advocating violence here or trying to give anyone any ideas) someone is going to run over the lot of them with a Mac truck.

This is a copy of the announcement... (click for larger view)

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Last edited by MRRiley; 01-11-2011 at 12:07 PM.
01-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Where the hell have you been, Mike?
01-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

hiding...
01-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #10
Todd K.

As I Christian I am offend and deeply saddened by their behavior.
01-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #11
Banned

Inside the Westboro Baptist Church - Photo Gallery - LIFE

an interesting set of photographs. im not a christian, but if I was, I would be utterly ashamed. I am ashamed of them as human beings of course. my question is, why do other christian denominations in this country (or the world even) not stand up as christians and do something?

I just don’t get it. christianity is a religion based on the foundation of judaism and nurtured and built up on the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth, neither of which would ever condone such actions, beliefs and teachings, correct? what kind of ‘christians’ then do the people claim to be?
01-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd K. Quote
As I Christian I am offend and deeply saddened by their behavior.
Baptists *sigh* the american equivalent of the taliban.
01-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #13
Banned

thats a bit rough. im an atheist and a good friend of mine is a baptist preacher. he personally is quite disgusted by the westboro congregation, as is the church in which he preaches in. in fact, during the times in which I have lent a helping hand in church fundraisers working with other local baptist churches, I would say that they were all nothing like these people and I don’t think its fair to assume they are. also, lumping the taliban as a legitimate ideal of islam is just as bad as lumping (your idea) of baptists as a legitimate ideal of christianity. because it simply isn’t.
01-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #14
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
thats a bit rough. ...........
A bit rough? You must be competing for the "Understatement of the Day" award.
I can think of several other adjectives to describe a statement like that, but maybe it's best to just stick with "a bit rough". It would be really embarrassing to have to give myself an infraction.
01-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
A bit rough? You must be competing for the "Understatement of the Day" award.
I can think of several other adjectives to describe a statement like that, but maybe it's best to just stick with "a bit rough". It would be really embarrassing to have to give myself an infraction.
not aware of such an award, and frankly I don’t give a crap about any infractions in which you deem necessary to give yourself for any comments made. it just seems to me that when concerning the number of Christians in the United States alone, and the number of those who follow the Baptist denomination, it seems rather ridiculous to make such a comparison (especially when that comparison in itself, regarding the taliban and islam is ridiculous in its own right) unless you can prove that the majority of Baptist Christians think and act in a similar way (which I doubt either of you can do) it is as usual, rather ignorant and pathetic to make such sweeping generalizations.
Closed Thread