Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-18-2011, 07:01 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
How's that work out for telemarketers?
They move to Florida where Canadian laws don't affect them.

Seriously though, We have a do not call list which takes care of some of them, and I took the bull by the horns last year and spent some time researching who was calling me, and then got in touch with them and asked to be taken off their call list.
An hour of my time well spent as far as I am concerned.

We get perhaps one call every couple of weeks now, and if I could train my wife to answer the phone and tell the person who eventually shows up to take us off their call list, those would stop too.
She just doesn't answer the phone if it's a 1-800, which tells the dialer drone to call at a different time.
Ironically, it was the marketing end of the Canadian Police Association (I donated to their charity for several years) who was the hardest to get rid of. I put myself on their no call list 3 times over a couple of year period and finally got into a rather rancorous email exchange with them before they stopped.

01-18-2011, 07:45 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
They move to Florida where Canadian laws don't affect them.

Seriously though, We have a do not call list which takes care of some of them, and I took the bull by the horns last year and spent some time researching who was calling me, and then got in touch with them and asked to be taken off their call list.
An hour of my time well spent as far as I am concerned.

We get perhaps one call every couple of weeks now, and if I could train my wife to answer the phone and tell the person who eventually shows up to take us off their call list, those would stop too.
She just doesn't answer the phone if it's a 1-800, which tells the dialer drone to call at a different time.

Ironically, it was the marketing end of the Canadian Police Association (I donated to their charity for several years) who was the hardest to get rid of. I put myself on their no call list 3 times over a couple of year period and finally got into a rather rancorous email exchange with them before they stopped.
Ironic and funny. Charities are a very mixed bag here. Many sell their name to companies who do the actual solicitation and keep a share (usually quite large) for themselves. I wonder if that was true in your case.

Then there are those that are purely bogus. We have one in Michigan that claims to be collecting for all the police departments. I fell for it one year and contributed, but then I asked around (I had several friends on different police forces) and found out no one had ever heard of them. So the next year when they called, I asked to speak to a 'manager', and told them why. That went no where and was the last time I ever heard from them. As a side note, they send out a window decal for people to put in their window showing their support. I make it a point to talk to those people whenever I see them to let them know where their money isn't going.
01-18-2011, 08:35 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Ironic and funny. Charities are a very mixed bag here. Many sell their name to companies who do the actual solicitation and keep a share (usually quite large) for themselves. I wonder if that was true in your case.

Then there are those that are purely bogus. We have one in Michigan that claims to be collecting for all the police departments. I fell for it one year and contributed, but then I asked around (I had several friends on different police forces) and found out no one had ever heard of them. So the next year when they called, I asked to speak to a 'manager', and told them why. That went no where and was the last time I ever heard from them. As a side note, they send out a window decal for people to put in their window showing their support. I make it a point to talk to those people whenever I see them to let them know where their money isn't going.
I no longer donate to most of the charities I used to support for that reason, and when I do donate, I try to ensure that I am direct donating rather than going through a charity collection service as it gets the most of my money to where it is going.
I also now target my donations to what can only be described as those that pertain to my self interest.
Diabetes runs in my family, so I give to causes that are trying to find better ways of dealing with that, for example.