Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

How would arming the victim have helped here?

Just curious.....

http://www.wtvr.com/news/wtvr-child-robbed-at-gunpoint-in-richmond-011111,0,5160281.story

01-14-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It could not have, in hindsight. However there was an armed civilian who held him until the police arrived. That man refused to shoot him as he felt it unnecessary. It is legal to carry a firearm in Arizona.
01-14-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
It could not have, in hindsight. However there was an armed civilian who held him until the police arrived. That man refused to shoot him as he felt it unnecessary. It is legal to carry a firearm in Arizona.
Wheatfield's link talked about a robbery in Richmond, VA, not the shooting in AZ.

If you are talking about the guy named "Joe?", then he said on TV last night that as he ran out of the drug store, he had his hand on the butt of his pistol, and was thinking about shooting the guy he saw holding the gun, but found out at the last second that the guy holding the gun had already taken it from the shooter. "Joe" said....."I almost shot the wrong guy, and I would have killed him". This is what can happen when people walk around with loaded weapons. Still think it is a good idea?
01-14-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Wheatfield's link talked about a robbery in Richmond, VA, not the shooting in AZ.

If you are talking about the guy named "Joe?", then he said on TV last night that as he ran out of the drug store, he had his hand on the butt of his pistol, and was thinking about shooting the guy he saw holding the gun, but found out at the last second that the guy holding the gun had already taken it from the shooter. "Joe" said....."I almost shot the wrong guy, and I would have killed him". This is what can happen when people walk around with loaded weapons. Still think it is a good idea?
Actually, it happens on occasion with trained law enforcement people. I'm not anti-gun but the idea of the general public walking around the streets armed is a scary prospect, a very bad idea. The people I know who sound off the loudest on this issue are people I don't believe should allowed to be within a mile of a firearm. Ever.

01-15-2011, 06:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

...I suppose what could help is that every American gets a personal armed body guard...

The argument from yesterday about home invasions being a reason for owning guns for self defense... with correct gun safety, especially in a household with youngsters, is to lock up the gun and keep the ammo separately locked up in a different location... or at the very least, if you have a loaded gun, to have that especially secure.... so yeah, the gang invades your home and you tell them what? Hold on till I get my key to the gun rack and trigger guard, oh wait, and do you mind if I go downstairs for my ammo?
01-15-2011, 06:39 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
...so yeah, the gang invades your home and you tell them what? Hold on till I get my key to the gun rack and trigger guard, oh wait, and do you mind if I go downstairs for my ammo?
I suppose some people might do it that way; but the people who actually know something about guns, shooting sports, etc., would pick one of the numerous safes or cabinets that have cypher or fingerprint locks that can be opened by the owner as quickly as if they weren't locked.
01-15-2011, 06:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I suppose some people might do it that way; but the people who actually know something about guns, shooting sports, etc., would pick one of the numerous safes or cabinets that have cypher or fingerprint locks that can be opened by the owner as quickly as if they weren't locked.
I didn't even know there are such locks! Cool, is that stuff that mainly gun folks know about?

01-15-2011, 07:13 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, possibly. The only place I see them is in gun shops, or the shooting departments of stores like Bass Pro, or Cabela's. The one with the finger print locks are relatively new, within the last couple of years. The one I have is a common cypher lock and is 20 years old.
01-15-2011, 10:04 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
...I suppose what could help is that every American gets a personal armed body guard...

The argument from yesterday about home invasions being a reason for owning guns for self defense... with correct gun safety, especially in a household with youngsters, is to lock up the gun and keep the ammo separately locked up in a different location... or at the very least, if you have a loaded gun, to have that especially secure.... so yeah, the gang invades your home and you tell them what? Hold on till I get my key to the gun rack and trigger guard, oh wait, and do you mind if I go downstairs for my ammo?
Nah, just be a typical Second Amendment rights defender, keep a loaded gun beside you at all times.
When the someone rings your doorbell, put a couple of rounds through it and kill the girl scout who wants to sell you some nice cookies.
No one really likes Girl Scout cookies anyway.
01-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

You know, wheatfield, some peoples' ideas and misconceptions scare me a whole lot more than the threat of any overt violence does.
01-15-2011, 11:02 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Except for the misconceptions of the NRA?

Most gun owners can't afford such locks, so they do keep their guns pretty handy.
Perhaps the NRA could help fund such locks for those that can't afford them.

Most gun nutters are truly deluded
01-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Nah, just be a typical Second Amendment rights defender, keep a loaded gun beside you at all times.
When the someone rings your doorbell, put a couple of rounds through it and kill the girl scout who wants to sell you some nice cookies.
No one really likes Girl Scout cookies anyway.
If someone I don't know knocks on my door (night or day), I am either armed or have one close by. Paranoid? Perhaps in your eyes. If I never need that weapon, I will be happy - in fact joyful. If on the other hand, I did need it and didn't have it, and something happened to my family, I would be forever remorseful. If someone is breaking down your door at night, which number will do the most good in shortest amount of time: 911 or .357? Some response times on 911 calls in the US run into the hours, not minutes or seconds. Speaking of police, the U.S. Supreme court has issued a ruling that police are not responsible for providing protection to every individual citizen, only the populace as a whole.

Getting back to my 'paranoid' statement, you should be aware that over the course of the past 10 to 20 years, two important changes have taken place: Nations like Canada and England have steadily decreased the amount of legally owned firearms in the hands of their citizens, while those in the US have increased. Violent crime on the other hand has continued to rise in Canada and England while it has decreased in the US. Add this to the fact that both Canada and England have more police per capita than the US, and it's a bit puzzling for anti gunners to make the connection, but it's obvious that having more police is not making you safer, but having more firearms is. During the past 20 years in which violent crime rates have fallen in the US, several states enacted "shall issue" laws, which in essence say that anyone who has not committed a felony or is adjudged mentally incompetent shall be issued a license to allow them to carry a concealed weapon. In every one of those states, the left predicted a return to the old west with shoot-outs at the OK corral happening every Saturday night. Instead, the opposite has happened: crime rates in every state to enact such legislation has decreased.

While I know I can never sway you from being anti gun, I hope I can open your eyes to why pro gun people feel the way they do. I also hope that neither you nor anyone you love is ever put into a situation where a firearm could have saved yours or their life.

I'll end by saying this: when one anti gunner asked a pro-gunner why he felt he needed to carry a firearm with him all the time, the pro-gunner replied 'because policemen are too heavy".
01-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
Except for the misconceptions of the NRA?

Most gun owners can't afford such locks, so they do keep their guns pretty handy.
Perhaps the NRA could help fund such locks for those that can't afford them.

Most gun nutters are truly deluded
The cost of a fingerprint lock-box is about $200. A keypad one about $100. Most guns run about $500 and betweeh $15-20 for a box of ammo.

How do you imagine people who can afford guns can't afford a lock box?

Someone is deluded.
01-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Oh, really?
Then why is it that the gun nutters aren't demanding as a point of law?
Along with biometric triggers it could go a long ways.
01-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
Oh, really?
Then why is it that the gun nutters aren't demanding as a point of law?
Along with biometric triggers it could go a long ways.
Biometric triggers? You really have NO idea about the engineering of a firearm, or the use thereof.

And why would I demand specific technology for storage? A firearm under my direct control is not a danger to someone. Locked in a safe with a combination lock, in a storage box with a key lock, who cares?

A determined individual will gain access to any of these things with time and tools. Locks keep honest people honest. Occasionally they delay the ignorant.

In the end, laws are obeyed by the law abiding. Those who wish to break the law will do so.