Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
USA "Going down the tubes"

Comedian Colin Quinn on “O’Reilly Factor” – 1/14/11Mofo Politics | Mofo Politics

01-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
'The Costco of Empire declines'

Funny clip.

That Mofo politics is a pretty hideous site though. 'Your daily dose of hoping Obama fails'? Picture of him in a turban? Poll - which leader is Obama most like: Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini or Mao? REALLY??? There's your evidence of the USA going down the tubes right there!
01-23-2011, 06:31 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

This should be amusing. A Canadian and a Brit regaling each other with how much they think they know about the U.S.

corn
01-23-2011, 07:12 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
This should be amusing. A Canadian and a Brit regaling each other with how much they think they know about the U.S.

:corn:
Agreed.

01-23-2011, 07:18 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't need to live in my neighbor's house to know that his lawn needs cutting, he needs to put up new eaves troughs, his fence is falling apart and the paint is peeling, revealing a lot of rot in the structure below.
01-23-2011, 07:43 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

You are right, Bill. The problem here is that you cant see my house. All you can see is what the media tells you about my house and then, as is human nature, filter that information through your personal beliefs and predjudices ending up "knowing" what you choose to know.
01-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not much of any substance in the interview to tell me whether Quinn's take makes sense, but the part about what we make (or don't make) was pretty interesting. We don't provide true financial services but now offer people talking about (really betting on) money in the future.

01-23-2011, 05:46 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

You are right, Bill. The problem here is that you cant see my house. All you can see is what the media tells you about my house and then, as is human nature, filter that information through your personal beliefs and predjudices ending up "knowing" what you choose to know.
Except that a lot of what I know about your house is coming from your own room mates.
01-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Except that a lot of what I know about your house is coming from your own room mates.
does that mean if we talk to someone from Quebec that we can say that all Canadians are occupying forces?
01-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
does that mean if we talk to someone from Quebec that we can say that all Canadians are occupying forces?
I could probably ask you the same thing about Texas....

However, with a large portion of my local branch of the Federal civil service in my part of the country being from Quebec, along with official bilingualism applied to everywhere but Quebec (where monolingual ism is rigorously enforced by the French language police), I'd have a hard time thinking of Canada as an occupying force in Quebec with any seriousness.

Consider for a moment that English signs are illegal in Quebec.....
01-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

:corn:
who better than a Brit to add comment... don't forget we had empire, bigger than any before or since..we founded the USA and canada...{ just dont ask the french} ..so who better to add comment to yet another crumbling empire...we pissed ours up the street...just as you yanks are doing with yours!!!
01-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
who better than a Brit to add comment... don't forget we had empire, bigger than any before or since..we founded the USA and canada...{ just dont ask the french}
Last I heard, they did lose at the Plains of Abraham.
01-23-2011, 08:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Last I heard, they did lose at the Plains of Abraham.
I had to look that one up in Wikipedia,,LMAO....we sure did do those French good... didn't stop Quebec outlawing English street signs today though

I do love it when the most powerful military nation in the world has to own up and admit it speaks English....my mother tongue ....and theirs !

crikey..I feel like singing "God save the queen " next...
01-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I could probably ask you the same thing about Texas....

However, with a large portion of my local branch of the Federal civil service in my part of the country being from Quebec, along with official bilingualism applied to everywhere but Quebec (where monolingual ism is rigorously enforced by the French language police), I'd have a hard time thinking of Canada as an occupying force in Quebec with any seriousness.

Consider for a moment that English signs are illegal in Quebec.....
well last time they had a vote 2.9 million or so of the of the 5 million registered voters in Quebec voted to form their own nation and leave Canada.
01-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
well last time they had a vote 2.9 million or so of the of the 5 million registered voters in Quebec voted to form their own nation and leave Canada.
Actually, it was 2,308,360 who voted yes (49.42%), and 2,362,648 (50.58%) who voted no, so while it was close, it was not the win for the separatists that it would have been if the numbers you made up were correct.
It would have been a very interesting time if they had voted yes, since the backlash from Canada would have been pretty harsh, I expect.
There is absolutely no guarantee that a yes vote and sovereignty declaration from Quebec would have had the desired result for them.
Odds are we would have handed them their respective hats and shown them the door, which is not what the Referendum question was presuming would happen.
As it is, Quebec got far more by staying in Canada than it would have gotten by separating, including the right to be just about the most racist region in the Western Hemisphere.

IIRC, at the time, the Parti Quebecois, which was the separatist party of Canada was in fact the official opposition in Parliament.
There is a certain irony that at the time, a political party whose sole function at the time was to machinate the break up of Confederation was part of the government and not swinging by their necks for treason (about the only crime you can pay for with your life up here)