Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Asus laptops

Anyone ever use one or own one? Not sure if it is a quality product/company or not. I've been using a sony vaio for the last couple of years, But I'm in the market for a new laptop and the features for the price seems very good. And I hear their customer service and warranties are decent too. I guess if anyone has any experience with their products just let me know, I'm pretty interested and looking to buy within the next couple of weeks. Thanks guys.

01-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have ASUS - a netbook about 3 years old and 2 computers, one over a year old and a new one . All on Linux. No problems.
01-16-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks. They seem to be a really good bargain. So that's why I'm wondering if its one of those "too good to be true" things.
01-16-2011, 10:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Most definitely not "too good to be true". I have had mine since the beginning of college (now in my 6th semester).

My only complaint is the screen has a bluish tint that I can't get rid of because it is not backlit but lit from the bottom I believe. It is barely noticeable and it wouldn't be noticeable at all if I didn't have a second monitor, but if you plan on doing photo editing you might want a separate monitor. I just used the one from my old desktop. Also the screen doesn't reach to the edges of the lid which makes the screen seem smaller.

For computing power though it really can't be beat. For most of Asus's stuff, they are priced much lower than comparable Dell's and HP's. It's funny because Asus actually manufactures many of the components (like motherboards, etc.) that end up in Dell and HP computers. Asus also has the lowest repair or return rate for any of the major manufacturers. I have only needed customer service on 1-2 occasions (due to my stupid mistakes lol) and my only issue with that is there tends to be a bit of a wait for a rep. Other than that though they are friendly and helpful (and speak English).

My model is the Asus N51VF-A1 if you'd like to look it up. I know this sounds like I work for them or something, but I really do like their product. My next laptop will likely be from them as well if I don't jump ship to Apple, then again Apple is the opposite of a bargain.

01-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

ASUS is definitely a brand that I would trust. I'm also currently in the market for a new laptop after using a Vaio for the last 5-6 years and ASUS had 2-3 laptops that I took a serious look at. I'm very picky though and ASUS didn't have 1 laptop that covered all of me wants/needs. They had some that were great performers but only lasted 1.5 hrs, and others that lasted > 5hrs but was a slow performer. In the end I went with a HP Envy 14 customized and have not regretted it, yet!!!
01-18-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've had two ASUS laptops and one ASUS workstation/desktop and have no issues with any of them.
01-18-2011, 08:15 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Many computer are using Motherboard from ASUS. This is a huge company and they produce Laptop for other company
01-26-2011, 02:12 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I've been using a N71J series laptop for the last 4 months and have been very satisfied.

I went with Asus because of their reputation and because it offered much better bang for my buck than any other off the shelf laptops. The fact that they offered a 2 year international warranty (I'm living away from home for 12 months) instead of the stock 12 month local warranty sealed the deal.

01-26-2011, 07:00 AM   #9

I bought my Asus laptop in April 2006 and still using it. I had a two year international warranty on it, mouse and computer bag, plus Asus CD-Roms to reinstall Windows XP + Drivers (and not a partition on the hard drive).
If they are still doing the same, I would buy again without hesitation.
01-26-2011, 09:05 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Le Ugim Quote
I bought my Asus laptop in April 2006 and still using it. I had a two year international warranty on it, mouse and computer bag, plus Asus CD-Roms to reinstall Windows XP + Drivers (and not a partition on the hard drive).
If they are still doing the same, I would buy again without hesitation.
I told my mum to buy an Asus, as they're by far the least crap brand in your average chain computer store. They also install the least amount of useless crap on the laptops, and the Windows version they've got on their is as close to stock as possible (when people have problems with Windows on pre-built machines, chances are it's more to do with some other crap the manufacturer's put on there.)

Speaking of partitions: Asus actually has the OS on a separate partition, which is excellent. First time I'd seen it done on a mass-market machine, and very smart in case you have to nuke the OS and start over. You can keep your data safe on the other partition.
01-26-2011, 09:11 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Asus has been one of the top motherboard manufacturers in the world for years and their name is well known to those build and upgrade their own systems. While I don't own one of their laptops, I would have no hesitation in buying an Asus product. Their reputation has been built by supplying high end components to the gaming world and to system builders.
01-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Speaking of partitions: Asus actually has the OS on a separate partition, which is excellent. First time I'd seen it done on a mass-market machine, and very smart in case you have to nuke the OS and start over. You can keep your data safe on the other partition.
The reason I don't like partitions for reinstall are:
- the fact you lose some space (even if I have to admit, that isn't that big compared to the size of the actual hard drives),
- and the fact that if your hard drive becomes unserviceable for any reason, you also lose all your programs for reinstall. With the CDs, you can upgrade to a bigger HD and do the reinstall without being a pro.
01-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well looks like i'll be getting an asus in a couple of weeks here. As soon as I get my tax return! Now to decide which model. I'm thinking one with an i5 processor....
01-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Where is the data that Asus has fewest returns/repairs?

I'm looking at the CostCo website (where I buy electronics) for high-end machines, and user reviews ding Asus keyboards as flimsy. Any responses here?

My leading contenders so far are a Toshiba x505, and some Lenovo T-series (but that may be too small). I need fast and affordable, and a big screen helps.

PS: I have had crappy experiences with HP and Dell service; as with JVC camcorders, NEVER AGAIN!
01-27-2011, 03:20 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Le Ugim Quote
The reason I don't like partitions for reinstall are:
- the fact you lose some space (even if I have to admit, that isn't that big compared to the size of the actual hard drives),
- and the fact that if your hard drive becomes unserviceable for any reason, you also lose all your programs for reinstall. With the CDs, you can upgrade to a bigger HD and do the reinstall without being a pro.
No, no - it still has a proper reinstall CD (or DVD, it's Win 7. Another thing that impressed me is that it was one of only two or three laptops that actually had the 64-bit version.)

The other partition was just an empty partition, for storage. If it all goes tits ups, you still have the reinstall DVD.