Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2011, 07:58 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The damn yanks tricked us in to going metric. They said they were going, so we decided we were going first, then they backed out. They ruined my life.

But yes, I live in Ontario, but it would take me two days to drive to Thunder Bay. Ontario, 4 if I was stopping for pictures along the way.. it's an incredibly scenic drive.. and if you continue on along the North Shore in Minnesota, unbelievable photo opportunities. Anyway after Thunder Bay, you still have a few hours in Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and then most of Alberta to get to Edmonton. That part only takes one day, if you drive till you drop, 2 if you don't have a second driver, because the prairies are so flat, but again if you're stopping to take pictures... From where the 90% of Canada's population live to Edmonton, traveling with a DSLR, I'm guessing at least 5 days. There is a great Pentax store in Calgary, I picked up a used SMC 100mm macro K-mount there once, (worked great on my *ist even given manual focus) so the trip might not be entirely for nothing.

But I digress ,the point is.. I live in Canada, but unless you're paying mileage and hotels and at least half my meals, I'm not driving to Edmonton for you. Call me selfish or whatever, it's just the way I am.

Last edited by normhead; 01-27-2011 at 09:57 AM.
01-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Center of Canada

Never thought about this, quite a surprise!
Attached Images

01-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Maybe you should rephase the question "those who live in Edmonton"

Understand Canada is 3,500 to 3,800 kilometers wide by road, depending on the highway you take.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
It's just short of 8,000 km or 5,000 miles from coast to coast. Population about 34,000,000.
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
By car you'd get almost to Blind River, Ontario before you ran out of kilometers.
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
That's what you get for going metric.
Cabbage, I didn't think was as "generic" say canda, it is great you see.
Then I think that live beyond that be nice, is a different thing that see him on the map.

A friend of mine was in canda for six months, I've seen photos and is really nice.

change name to post gold

pranksters
01-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
It was -11 (c) here last night so maybe I live in Canada now, eh?
here -7 @ 7.30 Am

01-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The damn yanks ricked us in to going metric. They said they were going, so we decided we were going first, then they backed out. They ruined my life.

But yes, I live in Ontario, but it would take me two days to drive to Thunder Bay. Ontario, 4 if I was stopping for pictures along the way.. it's an incredibly scenic drive.. and if you continue on along the North Shore in Minnesota, unbelievable photo opportunities. Anyway after Thunder Bay, you still have a few hours in Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and then most of Alberta to get to Edmonton. That part only takes one day, if you drive till you drop, 2 if you don't have a second driver, because the prairies are so flat, but again if you're stopping to take pictures... From where the 90% of Canada's population live to Edmonton, traveling with a DSLR, I'm guessing at least 5 days. There is a great Pentax store in Calgary, I picked up a used SMC 100mm macro K-mount there once, (worked great on my *ist even given manual focus) so the trip might not be entirely for nothing.

But I digress ,the point is.. I live in Canada, but unless you're paying mileage and hotels and at least half my meals, I'm not driving to Edmonton for you. Call me selfish or whatever, it's just the way I am.
no problem, no one asks you to spend much money, par go there.

Thank you
01-23-2011, 05:06 AM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Really? Or is that the width of the roads? I think they are something like 1 chain wide.
Where's Arpe when we need him?
01-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Where's Arpe when we need him?
booooo

01-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I'm from Quebec, Canada ! :-)
01-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I have no idea what I was talking about.

Thank you for paying attention...
01-27-2011, 05:40 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I have no idea what I was talking about.

Thank you for paying attention...
No problem--now, um, what was it you were saying?
01-27-2011, 06:24 AM   #26
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
It's just short of 8,000 km or 5,000 miles from coast to coast. Population about 34,000,000.
Biggish place then this Canada
01-27-2011, 07:00 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Biggish place then this Canada
A little perhaps

the uk would fit within either quebec or ontario with room to spare. but most of us just live in a small strip along the southern edge of these 2 provinces. the further north you go the more scenic it gets but you may not want to live there in winter
for instance Attawapiskat on the Hudson Bay in Northern Ontario near polar bear park is running a balmy -29 Celsius today. they are having a warm spell
01-27-2011, 07:32 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
A little perhaps

the uk would fit within either quebec or ontario with room to spare. but most of us just live in a small strip along the southern edge of these 2 provinces. the further north you go the more scenic it gets but you may not want to live there in winter
for instance Attawapiskat on the Hudson Bay in Northern Ontario near polar bear park is running a balmy -29 Celsius today. they are having a warm spell
I'm constantly amazed that Canada has a year-round population.
01-27-2011, 07:36 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I'm constantly amazed that Canada has a year-round population.
It's actually far more livable in Toronto in the winter than say Syracuse or Rochester just across the lake.
A big chunk of the over 65 population does end up in FLA/Phoenix in the winter though
01-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Actually it'll be 50 F or 10 C here in Victoria today (it did go down to 3 C last night though). Canada is second only to Russia in size (not population obviously) @ 9.9 million square kilometers (3.8 million square miles). Even the little Island I live on is about the same size as Israel and about 2.5 times the size of Connecticut.

I had to work last spring in Halifax. I would get up at 4:30AM to take an Airbus 330 with one stop and a short layover in Toronto. I would get into the hotel in Halifax at 7:00 PM at night . There is of course 4 different time zones between the two cities.

We went Metric when I was in elementary school and I still use some imperial and some metric now.... It is my understanding that the US residents use Imperial (is it called "imperial" or is that a Canadian term?) but Medical, NASA and the US military are Metric. (?)