Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2011, 10:00 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hey smc , my mom used to live up on the hill over looking the ocean near Sidney. I've been out a few times. I try and get out every 5 years, but it's been 10 and still counting. Have you ever done one of those "photgrapher cruises " where they take you up and down the coast in a converted trawler and zodiac you in to all the photographic hot spots?

01-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
hey smc , my mom used to live up on the hill over looking the ocean near Sidney. I've been out a few times. I try and get out every 5 years, but it's been 10 and still counting. Have you ever done one of those "photgrapher cruises " where they take you up and down the coast in a converted trawler and zodiac you in to all the photographic hot spots?
I haven't, but I'd love to someday. Last time I spoke to oneill he was going on a trip a little further north to take bear shots......grizzlies I believe. Luckily those are limited to the north tip of the island and the mainland.

This time of year there can be some very dramatic winter storms on the east coast of the island, but for the most part it just rains a lot. Summers here are nice though.
01-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I haven't, but I'd love to someday.
Yes they are kinda like every photographers dream. Travel to a different location every night while you sleep, get up in the morning anchored in a new cove with bears or orcas or great vistas. Real expensive, but... one of these days.

This is one of them.

Vancouver Photo Excursions, Vancouver Photo Tours, Vancouver Boat Charters
01-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #34
Veteran Member

my dad lives out in Victoria, he's been trying to Convince my wife and I to come out and do one of the trips up to Alaska. Can't convince her (she's not a photographer though and her Idea of the ideal vacation is Europe - she doesn't drive either so she gets to sit back and enjoy the scenery while I do all the chauffeuring)
I would think the East coast could be a stunning trip as well

Last edited by eddie1960; 01-27-2011 at 11:01 AM.
01-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #35
Pentaxian

I've seen some amazing pictures of Newfoundland Labrador, but nothing like those bears fishing during the salmon run, or the white-ish bears from the Spirit Bear forest (or the Haida Guaii). And the mountains are always spectacular. As for Europe, the thought of going places where people don't speak english makes me cringe... why is that fun? I know some people see that as a thrilling challenge to be overcome. I consider getting close enough to a Spirit Bear to take a picture with my Tamron 90 the kind of challenge I might be more interested in. (I went to Spain once, I just found the language issues took away from the experience.) Oh well, to each his her own.
01-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I've seen some amazing pictures of Newfoundland Labrador, but nothing like those bears fishing during the salmon run, or the white-ish bears from the Spirit Bear forest (or the Haida Guaii). And the mountains are always spectacular. As for Europe, the thought of going places where people don't speak english makes me cringe... why is that fun? I know some people see that as a thrilling challenge to be overcome. I consider getting close enough to a Spirit Bear to take a picture with my Tamron 90 the kind of challenge I might be more interested in. (I went to Spain once, I just found the language issues took away from the experience.) Oh well, to each his her own.
I enjoy the experience of another Culture. I speak enough French to get by in France, Got by in Italy quite well by starting in Butchered Italian and they frequently switched to English. But I must say it was a joy to be in England this year where we speak the same language (to some degree)
01-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
It is my understanding that the US residents use Imperial (is it called "imperial" or is that a Canadian term?)
Oh, my gosh no--we'd never use a measurement that was explicitly a legacy of the Empire. Ours is the US liquid gallon and, just to be ornery, we seem to have made it slightly different in volume than the Imperial Gallon.

01-27-2011, 01:50 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Well hopefully someone out in Alberta can help out the OP with the request.

My time spent in Nova Scotia was amazing. Winter was actually a very good time to go exploring. It seemed like there were small fishing villages around every corner and Halifax was a lot of fun.

dadipentak - I had a feeling that "Imperial" would not be the term of choice for measurements in the US. I think the Ton was different too.
01-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #39
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
A big chunk of the over 65 population does end up in FLA
Gee, thanks!

HAH!!!
01-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I'm from Victoria...born and raised. My family still lives there (Colwood/Langford...now known as "The West Shore") right in the edge of Royal Roads forest. My Dad goes fishing regulary for salmon and owns a boat. I used to fish with him almost every weekend growing up.
LOL people still ask me why I moved to Calgary...reason at least it is sunny in the winter. Yes it can get as low as -40C but it is sunny. Not the 40 days and night of rain and clouds that I am used to in Vic'. Used to wear on me desperately.

While I am in Calgary, it is still about 3 hours south of Edmonton. If the OP's friend were to come down here I would be more than happy to help out.
01-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Gee, thanks!

HAH!!!
hah not aimed at you Ira (don't know if the shoe fits)
but it is true that there are big areas of FLA full of canadians. Quebecersa seem to have a particular fondness for FLA there was even a french canadian movie shot there called Elvis Gratton that I quite enjoyed
02-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #42

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
A little perhaps

the uk would fit within either quebec or ontario with room to spare. but most of us just live in a small strip along the southern edge of these 2 provinces. the further north you go the more scenic it gets but you may not want to live there in winter
for instance Attawapiskat on the Hudson Bay in Northern Ontario near polar bear park is running a balmy -29 Celsius today. they are having a warm spell
1 my friend, live in the Hudson Bay
02-05-2011, 02:37 PM   #43

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by casil403 Quote
I'm from Victoria...born and raised. My family still lives there (Colwood/Langford...now known as "The West Shore") right in the edge of Royal Roads forest. My Dad goes fishing regulary for salmon and owns a boat. I used to fish with him almost every weekend growing up.
LOL people still ask me why I moved to Calgary...reason at least it is sunny in the winter. Yes it can get as low as -40C but it is sunny. Not the 40 days and night of rain and clouds that I am used to in Vic'. Used to wear on me desperately.

While I am in Calgary, it is still about 3 hours south of Edmonton. If the OP's friend were to come down here I would be more than happy to help out.
Let's ask