Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe I should sell Mine....

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I could buy a true 500mm (about the only thing I use mine for) with this kind of money..

Pentax smc Pentax - F 1.7x AF Adapter - eBay (item 250757132395 end time Jan-20-11 17:17:40 PST)

01-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

That was quite some price!
01-20-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I saw that tonight as well. My first thought was to list mine right away in case whoever didn't win still wanted one!
01-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
That was quite some price!
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I saw that tonight as well. My first thought was to list mine right away in case whoever didn't win still wanted one!
I have a camera listed with a starting bid of $50 and a BIN slightly higher. Maybe I'll get a fortune for that. I guess somebody REALLY had to have that adapter (I kind of smell a shill in that auction but haven't looked into it at all).

01-20-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I have a camera listed with a starting bid of $50 and a BIN slightly higher. Maybe I'll get a fortune for that. I guess somebody REALLY had to have that adapter (I kind of smell a shill in that auction but haven't looked into it at all).
That was my other thought.
01-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

[expletive deleted]
01-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I do wonder how well those things might work in practice. I've never been big on TC's, but hey. Say if I got a decently-fast 200 or 300 of decent quality, (Say, an older prime) would one of those be worth wanting for focus help, or would you be better off not putting a TC on there?

Just wondering, cause about all I know about these is that lots of people want them.

Sometimes I struggle with slower lenses, when my eyes are tired, you see. I tend to figure the price of those makes the notion unlikely, anyway, but I was curious. (I'm mostly not thinking, 'Will this make razor-sharp wildlife photos' so much as 'Long scenic details.' Though I do like birdies. )

My general vision is likely I'll be using like a nice old Soligor or maybe a longer Takumar. (The former's not a brand I consider razor-sharp lenses to begin with, but I like some of their other qualities.) I'm thinking more maritime scenes and general rambles-with-tripod than running around playing Art Wolfe or anything.

So I was just curious if they'd give you some focus precision if you need an aid, or if you'd be better off just putting it in the lens. (I tend to assume the latter)

01-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Actually it works quite well. I think Pentax rates it for an f2.8 or faster lens but I've used it plenty with my DA*300 f4. I've also gone wide angle with it (28mm f2) with success. The AF range on it isn't very far however so for best results, you need to be Close, on the lens. That is, it won't take a lens that is focused at infinity, and focus 4 feet away with it. You need to be in the range for it to work otherwise, it's going to hunt like crazy. It also doesn't transmit focal length information (I don't think it was ever intended to) so for all intents and purposes, it works as an auto focus A type lens with anything that transmits aperture. Of course, the FL is also multiplied by 1.7x. Still, $570+ is a lot of money to pay for one.

01-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Cool, Jeff. Getting close wouldn't be the issue, I'm sure. If I found one for not-market-price I'd probably just check it out for myself and be inclined to trade for something more-urgent, to someone who wnats one of *those* more, but I was just wondering.

I'd sure trade one for or toward about any Limited lens at that price,though, no question. Long (And wide) lenses are mostly where I'm willing to have a bit of fun and use quirky glass, but actually sometimes in small towns you're the only photog available. Which does tempt one to go cover like a ski meet even if it's really not your kind of scene. (This is where Winterized Riding Emus come in. )