Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
Banned

Keith Olbermann gone from MSNBC !

QuoteQuote:
Keith Olbermann and MSNBC have ended their contract, according to a statement from MSNBC. The last episode of "Countdown" will air this evening, Friday, January 21.

MSNBC's statement reads as follows:

MSNBC and Keith Olbermann have ended their contract. The last broadcast of "Countdown with Keith Olbermann" will be this evening. MSNBC thanks Keith for his integral role in MSNBC's success and we wish him well in his future endeavors.
Keith Olbermann Ends Contract With MSNBC

As for the updated schedule, Lawrence O'Donnell's show will be moved to 8 PM; while "The Ed Show" with Ed Schultz will air at 10 PM. Rachel Maddow will stay in her regular slot at 9 PM.

MSNBC released the following statement on their new programming order:

Starting Monday, January 24, "The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell" will move to 8 p.m. ET/PT and "The Ed Show," hosted by Ed Schultz, will move to 10 p.m. ET/PT on MSNBC. The announcement was made today by Phil Griffin, President of MSNBC. "The Rachel Maddow Show" will continue to air live at 9 p.m. ET/PT.
Also starting Monday, Cenk Uygur, MSNBC contributor and host of the popular web show "The Young Turks," will be filling in as host of the 6 p.m ET hour.

Last edited by jogiba; 01-21-2011 at 07:36 PM.
01-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
Banned

Original Poster
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lztVh06uVuY[/YT]
01-22-2011, 06:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
... sorry to see him go... but [fantasy alert] I predict Keith will re-surface on Fox, where Murdoch, having done exhaustive market research, has concluded that he's ridden the lunatic-right thing long enough; and in order to keep his market share and profits, he must recast Fox as a lunatic-left thing, and Keith will be the stabilizing Old Hand anchoring the nightly parade of talking heads...
01-22-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I stopped watching him years ago. I watched back when his show was one of the few sources of frank and critical information and comment about the wars, but it soon became as tiring to me as Fox. You could log on to HuffPost and, in 5 minutes, pretty much know what Olbermann would say that night in an hour. I also tired of his having guests like Eugene Robinson (an affable and thoughtful person) whose sole purpose was to say "yes" to a convoluted leading question.

That being said, he made left leaning opinion TV successful, and that was necessary given the broadcasters going the other way.

01-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just when you thought there couldn't be any more corporate media consolidation...

Didn't waste any time, did they?
01-22-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Just when you thought there couldn't be any more corporate media consolidation...

Didn't waste any time, did they?
Not sure I get it, but didn't waste any time doing what? My understanding is he will be replaced by Lawrence O'Donnell, who is no more corporate than Olbermann. I'm guessing there is a personality thing going on.
01-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I think RML might be talking about the Comcast takeover of MSNBC news (I think it what it is called).

01-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
I think RML might be talking about the Comcast takeover of MSNBC news (I think it what it is called).
Thanks. I do get the impression that Mr. O. is not the easiest guy to work with, though. It takes something for a new owner to get rid of a top-rated personality.
01-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #9
Banned

Original Poster
UPDATE: The New York Times' Bill Carter reports that Keith Olbermann's exit from MSNBC was "weeks in the making." According to Carter, Olbermann and MSNBC have both signed on to an agreement which bars Olbermann from returning to television for a period of time, though he is free to take a job on the Internet or the radio. Olbermann is also not allowed to comment publicly on the specifics of the deal, and there are restrictions on when he can give interviews about his departure.

Carter notes that the terms of the deal are similar to the one NBC struck with Conan O'Brien upon his exit from the network--exactly a year before Olbermann's.

01-23-2011, 03:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

One down. Many to go... We must rid of all this opinionated trash calling themselves journalist.
01-23-2011, 07:20 AM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

I pretty much threw my hands up in disgust when CNN hired Jack Cafferty:

I suffered my entire youth in NYC watching this stuffed shirt try to engage in amusing banter with Chuck Scarbrough and Sue Simmons.

Now Sue Simmons--there's a newswoman!
01-23-2011, 07:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chwisch87 Quote
One down. Many to go... We must rid of all this opinionated trash calling themselves journalist.
Trade you MSNBC for FOX.
01-23-2011, 08:08 AM   #13
Banned

Original Poster
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39qtPewLVxg[/YT]
01-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I suffered my entire youth in NYC watching this stuffed shirt try to engage in amusing banter with Chuck Scarbrough and Sue Simmons.

Now Sue Simmons--there's a newswoman!
Ah yes, I'm glad Jack's gone from the local news... and Sue's being Sue if even more so now... she was recently off air for a while - lots of female anchors in NYC have recently simply disappeared without explanation, or been busted down to location reporters - but it turns out she was having back surgery... and is back where she rules, next to Chuck.
01-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The fact that the news IS the news is precisely what's wrong with the news.