Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-26-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
eReaders Anyone

I'm considering grabbing an eReader in the near future. I'm leaning toward the Nook Color because I like the idea of being able to download magazines and that it is possible to root (hack) it to use as a tablet. Downsides are price and battery life. It's about 100.00 more than the B%W version and has only about 10 hrs of battery life. If I go with B&W I'll probably go with either a Nook or Sony because of their compatibility with ePub formatted documents that the Kindle doesn't have. I can also get a student discount on the sony, 116 bucks for the cheapest one and 206 for the mid priced model.

Any experience or opinions?

01-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I have the Nook, BW version....3G and wireless. Bought mine off ebay from BN as a refurb for 99+ tax, free delivery. Didn't know if I'd like it or not, and didn't want to invest lots to find out. Turns out its great. Wonderful if you travel a lot.....slim and easy to carry. Battery life is great if you turn off the wifi. I was rather surprised at how good the screen is. As for surfing the web?? Its terrible...but then again, its not designed to excel in that area. Overall, I'm happy I bought it.
01-26-2011, 05:04 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I have the nook color and completely enjoy it. For me the only downside is the battery life compared to other readers. Besides books, I have added music and epub books using a micro sd card. Surfing the web on the small screen can be a little aggravating, but once you turn the screen sideways it isn't to bad. I haven't had any problems with accessing wireless networks, I mostly use the home network, but I have tried it at work.
I would make sure the magazines you want are available before you use that as a deciding point. I have a subscription to reader's digest and the issue downloads as soon as it is available. It is easy to archive books and magazine issues with B&N once you have read them.
Is there a specific question you have?

Delia
01-26-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The Nook Color is both a decent eReader (though not as good as a pure eReader as those that use E-Ink) and a fantastic tablet deal. If it gets hacked to run Honeycomb you're golden.

I own a 2nd gen Kindle and like it a lot.

01-26-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Here's a good one if you want to download ebooks to your pc and not have to worry about wireless. It also doesn't use e-ink, so no screen flashes.
Amazon.com: Libre Ebook Reader Pro (black): Electronics

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DeliaRana Quote
I have the nook color and completely enjoy it. For me the only downside is the battery life compared to other readers. Besides books, I have added music and epub books using a micro sd card. Surfing the web on the small screen can be a little aggravating, but once you turn the screen sideways it isn't to bad. I haven't had any problems with accessing wireless networks, I mostly use the home network, but I have tried it at work.
I would make sure the magazines you want are available before you use that as a deciding point. I have a subscription to reader's digest and the issue downloads as soon as it is available. It is easy to archive books and magazine issues with B&N once you have read them.
Is there a specific question you have?

Delia
+1 On the Nook Color. I have rooted mine and I am running Android 2.1. Once 2.2 gets released for the NC I will root that as well. It has been a great purchase for me.
01-27-2011, 05:58 AM   #7
Banned

Original Poster
Decided on the Nook B&W. I liked the battery life and eInk display better than the color. The kindle was nice but no ePub support for free books & library checkouts knocked it out of the running. And the reasonable priced Sony was just too small. So far I like it a lot, great display and easy to use. And I found out that my College's library supports ePub checkouts which will be nice.

01-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My wife has been going through the eReader jungle (Kindle, Nook, PanDigital, etc.) since before Christmas. She has finally settled (I think) on one called the Cruz. Anyone heard of it? They sell them at Borders, but hers came from QVC. She can also surf the web with it, plus she has a netbook (talk about duplication). I am rather old school as I like to have the physical book in my hand. Even traveling, I simply like to have the book. Good luck with whatever you decide.
01-27-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

calibre - E-book management

This freeware program pretty much makes the question of format a non-sequitur. I read e-books in a number of different format on my computer using it.
01-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #10
Banned

Original Poster
Got Calibre. Loving the Nook so far. I looked at the Cruz but I eventually decided on the nook because it seemed a lot more readable than the color readers. And I didn't want a computer. I've got a touch & laptop, I didn't want yet another device that I would have to keep synched with everything else. I've also found that its perfect for reading while on my bike trainer. I see why everyone that owns one seems to love it.
01-28-2011, 08:43 AM   #11

Well just call me old fasioned, but if i am reading a book or magazine i love to hold it, take it out with me and never need to worry about how long a battery will last.
I use a laptop and that is for coming onto the internet and for my photography but that's it.
In many ways i believe that we have become to dependent on technology and we have forgotten how to do things for ourselfs. I like many people will remember the days when things like home computers, mobile phones, Sat Nav's, micro wave ovens and much more were just things of science fiction.
I just think that if we become to dependent on all this stuff and never go out to buy things anymore and in doing so meeting people for the first time and so on what will that do for man kind.
I am meeting friends online but when you think about it we are just electronic friends as most of us will never meet each other.
Don't get me wrong as with technology there has been many advancements in health, living and so much more and i hope that this continues for millenia to come but i am just probably sounding like an old wet fart, well maybe i am.
Anyway that is just my view but i will say i hope that you enjoy your readers and may the battery last long enough to finish what you started.
01-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #12
Banned

Original Poster
Snap Happy,

I can understand your concerns and feelings. I look at the eReader as a book and not a computer or really a gadget in the normal gadget sense. Mine doesn't do anything except let me read books. Every person that I know that has one has increased their amount of reading by an incredible amount. When you can download thousands of free books to read it makes it affordable and fun again. Many of my friends have had one for a year and have only read free books. It doesn't interfere with my social interaction, in fact it helps it. I'm talking more about good books and things I've read with friends and coworkers.

Initially I thought why would we want to replace the paper books? But then I realized how nice it is to have thousands of great books at my fingertips. The book replaced scrolls and this may replace books in the long run. Would that be such a bad thing to have anyone able to have a library in their hands? And it is very nice when I'm heading to class and I don't have to take a ton of books with me.

And as for battery life, the black & white eReaders with eInk have battery life in the 10 days of normal reading. That's plenty for me. It took me a while to get used to the idea of an eBook but I'm already a big fan.

YMMV as always.
01-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #13

Thanks for that insite, i suppose i must have become very narrow visioned as i have gotten older. Perhaps this old dog can learn new tricks yet
01-28-2011, 10:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Snaphappyscottiedog Quote
Well just call me old fasioned, but if i am reading a book or magazine i love to hold it, take it out with me and never need to worry about how long a battery will last.
I use a laptop and that is for coming onto the internet and for my photography but that's it.
In many ways i believe that we have become to dependent on technology and we have forgotten how to do things for ourselfs. I like many people will remember the days when things like home computers, mobile phones, Sat Nav's, micro wave ovens and much more were just things of science fiction.
I just think that if we become to dependent on all this stuff and never go out to buy things anymore and in doing so meeting people for the first time and so on what will that do for man kind.
I am meeting friends online but when you think about it we are just electronic friends as most of us will never meet each other.
Don't get me wrong as with technology there has been many advancements in health, living and so much more and i hope that this continues for millenia to come but i am just probably sounding like an old wet fart, well maybe i am.
Anyway that is just my view but i will say i hope that you enjoy your readers and may the battery last long enough to finish what you started.

While I'm in your camp and prefer the physical book or magazine, I'm probably going to buy an eBook for travel. Airlines keep reducing the weight allowance then raise the overweight charge. It cost me 50 pounds in london last year and I had left my tripod home to avoid weight (usually I always take it.) I did however have about 7 books with me. getting rid of that weight makes room for a lighter tripod
Priorities:ugh:
01-28-2011, 10:11 AM   #15
Inactive Account

I have the newest generation of the Kindle DX and LOVE IT
don't want a tablet, because its screen isn't made for prolonged reading