Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2007, 08:45 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Encounters with others ......

Do you ever get them? Photographers and otherwise?
I was just reading a thread on APUG and it got me thinking about comments i've had from the people i've met along the way. My main interest in shooting merchant shipping so I tend to take most of my shots on the Docklands, Riverbanks and Seaside.

Just last week I was out photographing the shipping at the local docks and was shouted at by some youths who said 'Get a life' because they believe that using a dSLR is nerdy thing to do. They were quite taken aback when I offered to take them for a swim off the riverbridge

Earlier this year I was approached whilst out on the riverside by two very fit ladies - perhaps early 30's - who were out jogging in the early evening. Because I had a pair of camera's around my neck - GX-10 and an old Ricoh XR-20sp 35mm - they assumed that I must be a pro from the local newspaper.

I've had abuse from a crewmember of a local ship. He was obviously working whilst claiming welfare and was worried that I would send the pics to the authorities.

Even some of the other photographers around the area have made comments because I use a Bigma and a Tripod religiously. I usually get a comment along the lines of "Here come the professionals" from those who should know better.

One of the more interesting comments I've had were from a couple who were about sixty. They saw me doing some documentary shots of the recent flood here in the UK. I was shooting with a Zorki-4K rangefinder cam and they were astonished to see somebody of my age using one - i'm mid-30s. There followed a 10 minute conversation about his old Leica-copy cam that he got when he was 21.

Finally I got an offer of some work from a painter who had a studio overlooking the local Pier. He needed some copies doing of his work and offered to pay me to take some shots of his paintings. Unfortunately I didn't know anything about the type of work he needed doing so I passed on it. Once again he assumed I was a Pro because of the Bigma and the Tripod.

Despite seeing many people on my travels i've only ever seen two other Pentax shooters. One was a local student at the back of last year with what I presume was a K1000. I didn't get to speak to him as I think he was little spooked at me staring at his camera and he soon disappeared.

The other was a fellow ship enthusiast who I bumped into at the seaside up at Redcar, Middlesborough and he was shooting with a K100d. We had a little chat and it turns out he has shot with Pentax for the past 30 years or so with the K1000, MX, SF-X and lately the K100d.

Most of the people I meet with camera's tend to be Canon shooters

10-09-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I've had a few strange photography-related encounters over the years, but this one will always stand out in my mind. One guy, attending a community social event (in a small USA town) with wife and baby, repeatedly evaded the camera thoughout the evening. When I finally asked why he didn't want his picture taken, he responded that one "never knows how the police will use the pictures." Ignoring this odd answer, I went on about my business. Two days later, I found out he had brutally killed his wife and child later that same evening.

I saw this fairly handsome couple talking thoughout the evening, with no hint of conflict or trouble. And, looking back at the images of the event, one with the wife happily smiling into the camera, it's clear she had no notion of pending danger. All this contrasts greatly with the horrible events to so soon follow.

As for other photographers, I rarely pay too much attention to the photo equipment used. Given the number and variety of products sold over the years (cameras, lenses, accessories, etc), I've never met one person, over a period of many years, with photo equipment exactly like mine. Indeed, if the members of this very forum got together, I still suspect the equipment used would vary greatly.

stewart

-

Last edited by stewart_photo; 10-10-2007 at 04:19 AM. Reason: spelling and clarification
10-09-2007, 11:32 PM   #3
Inactive Account

At one event here on campus, I was, I think, singled out and told to put up my camera, with "leave please" somewhat implied (they didn't order me to leave, but the lady was somewhat rude to me and I don't think she wanted me around) because I had an SLR. There were people ALL around taking pictures of their friends being crazy with camera phones and PnS cameras, I had my *ist Ds with a cheapo flash and a 135mm lense, I was the "professional" who had "no right to take the picture of people you do not know." and the "rules" prevented me from doing it any longer.

I didn't mention to the lady that other members of her staff had asked me to please give them pictures of the evening. I don't like wasting my time with jerks.
10-12-2007, 08:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had a few recent, funny experiences. I normally don't shoot around other people, tending instead to take photos when I'm out hiking, but we took a trip up the US/Canada west coast in August so I was doing some different things.

I was in the Fort Bragg, CA, botanical garden and squatted down to get a better angle on a row of kiddie's red wagons that they provide for customers to trundle their purchases around on. (The photo's in this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/11835-trip-up-coast.html). All of a sudden people stopped and wouldn't walk past me (I was mucking around with angles and exposure, not actually shooting) so I had to wave them past. And I didn't mind if a few people were in the background, anyway.

In Mendocino, I stopped to take a photo of a little jewel-green frog in somebody's garden. I squatted down and completely stopped all foot traffic along the sidewalk. Evidently squatting says "serious photographer, do not disturb".

The funniest, and most alarming, was later on, going along one of the vertiginous stretches of the Oregon coastal highway. I failed to stop at a turn-out. I immediately started thinking, "That was a really cool view, why didn't I stop and take a photo?". Then we came around a corner and there was another really cool view, but without a proper turn-out. There was a big honking gravel truck gaining on me, so I took the opportunity to pull onto a rather small shoulder area and let it by. Then I hopped out and dashed across the road to a little cleared area where I had a good shot at the view, thinking I'd take a few quick shots. Bad move - next thing I knew three other cars had pulled over in this tiny space on a twisty cliff-side road, and all these people had their point-and-shoots out photographing "my" view. It turned out that the reason the area I was standing on was clear was because the road had collapsed a while ago and been repaired. One of the people who stopped was a local and said so! I'm not sure if all those people would've stopped if I'd had a little point-and-shoot, but I suspect that they saw the DSLR with the Sigma zoomed to 70mm and figured if a "real" photographer stopped to take a photo, it must be worth stopping for. I gave up and ran away before (a) the road collapsed again (b) another gravel truck came along or (c) someone fell off the cliff (no guard rails).

This has all made me both more and less self-conscious about waving an SLR around in public. On the one hand, I know that people will take me seriously (whether that's warranted is another issue!), on the other, I know I'm pretty conspicuous. I'm trying to get over that!

Stewart, your story made my skin crawl. What a very strange encounter.

I sometimes see other Pentax shooters around, but I'm too shy to go over and say hi. I was on a field trip connected to a small conference recently, though, and the only other person with an SLR was using a K1000. Wonderful old workhorse, mine still functions.

Julie

10-12-2007, 09:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Stewart, I have to agree with Foxglove. That story would haunt me for a long time. I don't know if I could view the pictures after knowing what happened.

I haven't been approached too many times by strangers or authorities. Actually I was shooting one night around the Charlottetown Legislature and was surprised (considering it was bombed by some crazy guy only a few years ago) that no security ever approached me. Particularly given some of the comments we've heard from shooters in the USA.

I have heard quiet comments from people in crowded situations that thought, because I had a large DSLR or had the Bigma attached, that I was some sort of pro (if only they really knew!!).

Once I was approached by a couple at the Halifax tall ships event and who had just bought a K100D a few days prior. They saw the Pentax logo on my camera and wanted some advice. They were looking over the Bigma and he asked to see how good it was. So I put it on thier camera to use for a few minutes (that way they could keep any shots).

Meeting a Pentax shooter is sorta cool. It's like 2 long lost buddies seeing each other for the first time in a decade. You just have to say 'Hi' and the conversation develops from there as if you were old friends. I don't think that happens the same way with other brands.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 10-12-2007 at 06:08 PM.
10-12-2007, 02:19 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's quite a disturbing and sad story.
10-12-2007, 05:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

What a great thread!! Loving all these stories... chills from Stewart's

10-12-2007, 08:26 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote

Just last week I was out photographing the shipping at the local docks and was shouted at by some youths who said 'Get a life' because they believe that using a dSLR is nerdy thing to do. They were quite taken aback when I offered to take them for a swim off the riverbridge
It's because you live in Hull.

Sorry, mate, but it's true. I lived there for a year and there are some right brats there. They'd rather be boozing at LA's than doing something creative and positive.

Last edited by MikeH; 10-12-2007 at 09:12 PM.
10-12-2007, 08:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm so badly infected with LBA, GAS, and DPR that I can usually tell what people are using from afar. (Especially so if its a dslr setup).

I've met a couple students at school that actually rebel in art apart from the usual folks that Rebel just because everyone else is Rebelling. When I see kit rebels* and those encounters are usually short. I dismiss them because they're rebelling and they dismiss me cuz I'm running around with a Samsung and some weird small lens (powerhouse Helios-44) and a screw on hood. (You gain some and you lose some lol.)

I usually carry my GX-1L because my split image microprism is installed on that one and it tends to get the weirder looks from people.

================================================
*I sigh because of two reasons.

1) A student does not have the budget to realize he/her potential on a Canon system.
2) Majority of people think that Canon automatically = good photos.
10-12-2007, 09:04 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

FotoPete, I suffer from the same afflictions but it's waning these days. Haven't bought 2 of the same lens in awhile. Now if you'd like to reduce the funny looks you might want to install the microprism in the camera. Then they'll never be able to tell. Lol (microprism is installed on)
10-12-2007, 09:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Haha I actually like the Samsung cuz its different. (I know it's a DL2 at heart) You get the strangest reactions from people, especially those that know enough about cameras but not too much. They laugh when they see Samsung and then they get stumped when I tell them I got a commie lens on me.

Yea I realize that my next purchase should be a focusing screen for my K100D although I'm afraid it might jeopardize my 2 year canadian warranty lol.

LBA never really goes away. All it takes is a Henry's Photographic and Digital Imaging show to totally plunge you back into it. I walked out a CZJ 135mm. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it on the uesd table. (Albeit noting that its pointly seeing as how I have an M135 and a Ricoh 135....so thats 3 135mm primes....ugh.)

Before I stray too far off topic, I find that its really hard when you are open with others that are either in the canikon camps or just starting out. Most of these folks are just starting out and how do you best tell them the textbooks worth of market trends, camera gear rules of thumb, bang for buck (tell them to dump their rebel? or tell them to get a screw adapter?) etc.. all in 5 mins and expect them to take away the right msg?

Last edited by FotoPete; 10-12-2007 at 09:36 PM.
10-13-2007, 02:32 AM   #12
Pentaxian

One upmanship plays a big part of camera ownership for some people.

I was at a tourist night event recently and I was fairly obvious in using my dslr with tripod, external Sigma Flash and 16-45 on it so it looked pretty speccy ;-) THe lead dancer had asked me to do some shots for her. Two encounters resulted - one from a non local who came up and compared notes with me as she was using a K100D and wanted some pointers in making the move off program mode. A clubbish feeling in the manner Peter Zack mentions above.

Just by my actions i must have touched another gentleman's inferiority complex as he came to see what I was using then showed surprise that it was a Pentax. When asked what his camera was he said "Oh a 5D - but I'm a little disappointed with it as the file sizes are too small." I did notice that it wasn't with him at the time so the file sizes were going to be very small that night.
10-13-2007, 09:04 AM   #13

Wow, I don't have stories quite like this, I don't go out shooting enough.

Once one of my friends started comparing our gear in a rather smug way. I got annoyed by his attitude and yelled, "I know! You're d*** is bigger!" I may have embarrassed him, but he's hard to embarrass.

Most of the time when I happen across another SLR user, we give each other acknowledgment, rather like, "You use an SLR, too? Cool." When non-SLR users approach me, it's either one of aw or bewilderment. Aw as in the "sophistication" of my camera really gets their attention and many times they think I'm a "pro." And bewilderment for those who get intimidated by the controls and have no clue how to use the contraption in my hands.

I was once on the top of Mt. Diablo (in California) and saw a couple trying to take a photo of themselves with the vista behind them. I went up and offered to take the photo for them. I didn't have my camera with me that day, and the woman had a Nikon D40, so I told them, "I have a Nikon SLR at home, I know how to use a camera like this." Then I took their picture.

Some months later I switched to Pentax

Alex
10-13-2007, 07:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
(snip) Stewart, your story made my skin crawl. What a very strange encounter. (snip)
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Stewart, I have to agree with Foxglove. That story would haunt me for a long time. I don't know if I could view the pictures after knowing what happened.
QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
That's quite a disturbing and sad story.
QuoteOriginally posted by lapeen Quote
(snip) chills from Stewart's

Well, I did say the encounter will always stand out in my mind. It was perhaps the most disturbing incident in all my years of doing photography. Of course, please don't think that's the norm in my life. It's just that I've had so many good moments, I wouldn't even know where to start. Okay, here's a more humorous encounter.

Several years ago, an attractive young German sales girl in a local store asked if I really was a professional who photographed models. When I expressed surprise (never saw her before, in that store or elsewhere, and wasn't carrying a camera), she said the portrait photographer in the mall had told her that I was one of the greatest photographers he knew (a business acquaintance who always told people that, in spite of my objections). Anyway, when I said occasionally, a thick envelope came out and two minutes later the entire countertop was filled with large prints of her in various states of undress, with her holding each one up asking for my opinion. She wanted to know if she could be a model. Of course, in the meantime, other passing shoppers stopped to watch as well. Two or three even applauded. By the time I was able to end the encounter and leave, the crowd had grown to about thirty people, including at least two store security personnel and a floor supervisor with a shocked look on his face.

A few quick notes to conclude the story. Yes, I did photograph the young lady about a week later. Yes, she was fired from the store. And, yes, I did completely forget to buy what I went into the store for that afternoon.

stewart
-

Last edited by stewart_photo; 10-13-2007 at 11:20 PM. Reason: spelling
10-14-2007, 06:57 AM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

That's a funny story, I need to tell my friends to get talking more... then go shopping