Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Generational Inequality In Japan and the USA

I think every young person in America should look at what is happening to the youth of Japan and think long and hard about how we can prevent that from happening to us here in America. The NYT has a very good story about the growing generational inequality in that country and the emergence of a "Silver Democracy" where the old people dominate the government and focus government spending and policies more towards protecting the geriatric old people than nurturing the young people and educating the children.

QuoteQuote:
like many young Japanese, he was a so-called irregular worker, kept on a temporary staff contract with little of the job security and half the salary of the “regular” employees, most of them workers in their late 40s or older. After more than a decade of trying to gain regular status, Mr. Horie finally quit — not just the temporary jobs, but Japan altogether.
In the US there are lots of "contract to hire jobs" targeted at young people where they want you to work on a project for half the pay of a regular employee for the company in the hopes of getting a real job at the end of the contract period.

QuoteQuote:
Last year, 45 percent of those ages 15 to 24 in the work force held irregular jobs, up from 17.2 percent in 1988 and as much as twice the rate among workers in older age groups, who cling tenaciously to the old ways. Japan’s news media are now filled with grim accounts of how university seniors face a second “ice age” in the job market, with just 56.7 percent receiving job offers before graduation as of October 2010 — an all-time low.
QuoteQuote:
“Japan has lost its vitality because the older generations don’t step aside, allowing the young generations a chance to take new challenges and grow.”
QuoteQuote:
As Mr. Horie discovered, there are corporations that hire all too many young people for low-paying, dead-end jobs — in effect, forcing them to shoulder the costs of preserving cushier jobs for older employees. Others point to an underfinanced pension system so skewed in favor of older Japanese that many younger workers simply refuse to pay; a “silver democracy” that spends far more on the elderly than on education and child care — an issue that is familiar to Americans; and outdated hiring practices that have created a new “lost generation” of disenfranchised youth.
Keep in mind the lessons of Japan as our political leaders continue to borrow and spend on social security and medicare and refuse to make any reforms to so the system sustainable for future generations. Meaning that all sacrifices will be borne by those born after 1970 as greater shares of our income will be confiscated to support an aging population and we will receive smaller benefits when it is our time to retire.

QuoteQuote:
Social experts say the need to cut soaring budget deficits means that younger Japanese will never receive the level of benefits enjoyed by retirees today. Calculations show that a child born today can expect to receive up to $1.2 million less in pensions, health care and other government spending over the course of his life than someone retired today; in the national pension system alone, this gap reaches into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.
QuoteQuote:
The result is that young Japanese are fleeing the program in droves: half of workers below the age of 35 now fail to make their legally mandated payments, even though that means they must face the future with no pension at all. “In France, the young people take to the streets,” Mr. Takahashi said. “In Japan, they just don’t pay.”
In America we don't really have an option since FICA is taken out as a payroll tax. So I guess we will end up on the streets before long... Older people need to set there interests aside and realize that in America "hungry people don't stay hungry for long."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/28/world/asia/28generation.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

01-28-2011, 05:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Actually I think in a sense you are confusing cause and effect.. if Japan did what I had suggested for us.... purge the workforce of older workers w/ retirement (yes we CAN afford it) that would increase their participation in the economy, and spending, and taxes.......
Japan realizes that their system has a weak link... something we are unfortunately taking as the "status quo" and seeing it "good for business".......
There "gap" between rich and poor is only a fraction of us apparently anyways.. It sounds bad but in US terms is not so bad........ Comparing apples to oranges is also a bit risky... There "poor" already have it better then our "poor" and their "middle class" already has it bettr then our "middle class".... only their "upper class" can't hold a candle to the good old USA......
to quote the book I linked........
Inequality amid affluence: social ... - Google Books
you are a "gloomy gus" aren't you.....

This was 1999.........
Seems to me someones propagandizing Japan for some reason........
Maybe someone doesn't want us to consider Japan as "successful".......
QuoteQuote:
Well Natalie, international statistics show that poverty rates are lowest where income inequality is lowest too. That can be because of culture -- the wage spectrum is compressed, as in Japan, where it is unseemly to get too far ahead of others in pay -- or through active redistribution programs, where taxes and the services they buy redistribute incomes and opportunities to try to level the playing field a bit more.
Is income inequality just business as usual? - The Globe and Mail
Getting a bit back to MMT and "full employment" since it just so happens to come up in this conversation.........
QuoteQuote:
Comment From RonMacKinnon: Would a "guaranteed income suppliment" be a solution to this crisis?
Ron it could indeed be a solution, and has been the subject of discussion in Canada, with various iterations, since the 1970s. The Mincome experiment in Manitoba in the mid 1970s, the MacDonald Commission i n the mid 1980s, and the House Report from Newfoundland and Labrador in the early 1990s all had proposals for providing a basic income. Only Manitoba tried it, as a pilot project, for a few years. The problem with the guaranteed income idea is at what rate you set it, and at what rate you tax it back. It could remove the stigma of income support programs, but it could just as easily be a costly experiment that, essentially, guarantees poverty. Also, as Dr. Wilkinson has suggested, at some point on the GDP per capita curve, income inequality is no longer about material deprivation, but rather one of psycho-social responses. We are, after all, pack animal
QuoteQuote:
Comment From Gerry Sanders: Seems to me we can keep going down the road of winner take all corporatism like the US or develop a middle class by going the route of social democracies. Why not have prospering Norway as our economic model rather than the declining US?

Armine Yalnizyan: Gerry, you have put your finger on the nub of the problem, which is not economic in nature, but cultural in nature. For better or worse, our culture is more likely to mimic the Americans than the Norwegians. But Canadians have always trod a slightly different path too. We have perhaps the most diverse population on the planet, and Canada has for some time been regarded as the United Nations in action. We have had leadership from virtually all of our provinces in ways to do things more effectively and inclusively, and it is highly likely that we can continue that pattern of marching to the beat of a different drummer, even as the Americans pursue their own course of action. We should remember, too, that some of the most vocal opponents of inequality come from the U.S. See Senator Bernie Sanders' speech here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5OtB298fHY
some are "pack animals"...... some are lone wolves....
Back to Japan....
QuoteQuote:
But after interviewing at 10 companies, she said she suffered a minor nervous breakdown, and stopped. She said she realized that she did not want to become an overworked corporate warrior like her father.

By failing to get such a job before graduating, Kyoko was forced to join the ranks of the "freeters" -- an underclass of young people who hold transient, lower-paying irregular jobs. Since graduating in 2004 she has held six jobs, none of them paying unemployment insurance, pension or a monthly salary of more than 150,000 yen, or about $1,800.

"I realized that wasn't who I wanted to be," recalled Kyoko, now 29. "But why has being myself cost me so dearly?"
Read more: In Japan, Young Face Generational Roadblocks
sounds like the entire USA job market...........
So Japan is becoming.... US????
QuoteQuote:
He—as well as the politicians in attendance—knows that because most Americans have not directly experienced the much higher living standards that most Europeans enjoy, Washington could long ignore our laggard status as the wealthiest third world country on earth. We are much closer to a Brazil than we are to a France by most of the important measures. Do not get me wrong—we have very much to be proud of, unfortunately, most of our best moments are now in the very distant past. By almost any measure, US living standards for the vast majority of our population have slipped far behind those of other wealthy nations—and by many measures we fare no better than countries with per capita incomes far below ours.
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-in-the-presiden...#ixzz1CKvYhsno
People... WAKE UP.................
Seems to always come back to this...........
QuoteQuote:
While I do believe that the US has had a problem with deficits and debts, it was the US private sector not its government sector that created the problem. Perhaps our households and firms “ran out of money”, but the government as sovereign issuer of our currency can never “run out of money”.

I have explained that before, both on this blogsite as well as at New Economic Perspectives, New Deal, and Huffington Post, and also in academic papers at www.cfeps.org and www.levy.org. Let me quickly recap: yes, it is true that our domestic private sector (households and firms) ran budget deficits for most of the decade 1996-2006. That helped to fuel economic growth as well as the housing boom, but it also meant a growing mountain of debt—including those subprime mortgages that got bundled and sold even to the Chinese. It was unsustainable and crashed in 2007—we are now living in the aftermath as the private sector downsized, defaulted on debt, and started saving again.

The earlier private sector deficits helped to reduce the federal government deficits during the Clinton years, and even during the later part of the Bush years (holding the current account balance constant, that is an identity: private sector deficit equals dollar-for-dollar a government surplus). When the private sector retrenched after 2007, the government sector's deficit grew (dollar-for-dollar, excluding the improvement of the current account deficit).

Unlike the private sector's deficit, a government sector deficit is sustainable in the sense that it cannot lead to insolvency; sovereign government cannot run out of finance. That does not mean growing budget deficits are a good idea—they can boost demand beyond the full employment level, fueling inflation. They might affect the exchange rate; and they might affect the interest rate (although the impact is the reverse of what is usually believed, a point I will not explain here). But none of that is related to affordability.

(Caveat: state and local governments are not sovereign; they do have unsustainable financial positions and hence are cutting spending and raising taxes and fees. That in turn is creating huge head winds that will kill this supposed recovery. A topic for another day.)
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-in-the-presiden...#ixzz1CKwKH2YF
minskian history of japan
QuoteQuote:
Clearly, one would not want to put too much faith into this kind of analysis. Quite apart
from the data issues, it abstracts from culture, institutions and history. Also, economic
projections of any kind are almost always wrong simply because they assume that what was
observed in the past will continue into the future. A reading of far more sophisticated budgetary
projections from the early 1990s in both the U.S. and Canada should make that abundantly clear.
That being said, projections are useful in that they can at least tell us what is likely to happen if
all else is held constant and history rhymes. Indeed, these pictures do suggest that there are
striking parallels in the broad patterns of the data and at least demand that we pay some attention
to the possibility that Japan s recent experience may presage our future.
We have suggested that Japan s crisis followed what might be best labeled a Minskian
pattern, which can be found in Minsky s discussions of financial deregulation (see, for example,
the chapter on banking in his 1986 tome) as well as the important and stabilizing role of
government deficits and central bank lender-of-last resort policy. We can group the causal factors
into two broadly defined groups. First, we have the contextual facts. They are as follows:
" The real estate sector was highly leveraged relative to other sectors. Even though DE
ratios moved lower in the period leading up to the crash, the subsequent worsening of DE
ratios especially in light of the continued improvement in other sectors suggests these
improvements were insufficient or illusory. When the speculation ended, so did the
improvements. The importance of the real estate sector cannot be underestimated because
of its impact on the banking sector, which we revisit next. In other words, the real estate
sector constituted a critical mass of firms needed to trigger a crisis.
" The banking sector grew ever more exposed to the real estate sector and stock market
because of a broad decline in demand for financing from its traditional clients, the large
Japanese corporations. The collapse of stock and then real estate prices, interacting with
Basle accord provisions and other institutional changes, induced a liquidity preference
on the part of banks.
" The U.S., seeking to redress trade imbalances, put pressure on Japan to stimulate
domestic and deregulate its financial markets......................The broad over-riding theme in Minsky s work and in most non-mainstream work for
that matter is that of a capitalist economy that naturally moves in and out of crises. The only
constant is constant change. There certainly is no static equilibrium, as the most simple textbook
presentations (and even many of the more sophisticated mathematical models) seem to suggest. If
anything, the absence of large scale non-market institutions (big governments, central banks)
make crises worse, not better. The best institutions adapt quickly to these constant changes. And
still the transition from one set of institutions to another imparts inherent fragility precisely
because the adjustment process ventures into the unknown. The pallet of uncertain events
grows with the adjustment process. And yet that does not imply hopelessness and defeatism, as
many latter day laissez-faire preachers seem to suggest. Rather, it demands a more vigorous and
creative attempt to design better economic institutions. This is where economists should direct
the brunt of their intellectual energy, as Paul Davidson and a whole tradition of American and
Canadian Institutionalists and Keynesians have repeatedly suggested.
QuoteQuote:
In any case, a vulgarized version of our Japan
story would say that institutional and historical realities meant the country could not easily
escape its relatively rigid past.
This was a great weakness in a fast-changing world. This was
Minsky 's main message and it is one of the few things we can say with certainty about
economies and, for that matter, people.
sound familiar??????
http://www.progressive-economics.ca/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/pigeon.pdf
MIKEMIKE check out pg 5........ Kalecki equation....
Written in 2000, quite prophetic.......
Current one... no time to look now though......
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1304265
http://www.levyinstitute.org/pubs/wp_548.pdf

Last edited by jeffkrol; 01-28-2011 at 07:41 AM.
01-28-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Read more: In Japan, Young Face Generational Roadblocks
sounds like the entire USA job market...........
So Japan is becoming.... US????
That was a story about her job hunt in Japan in 2004 so I think it would be more accurate to say that the US job market is becoming more like Japan. Like I was saying it is extremely frustrating for my peers who are coming out of school and having difficulty finding a "real" job instead of just a dead end job or a temporary gig doing a special project. It is frustrating dealing once you get into a good company to find out that there are is a line of over the hill baby boomers for a promotion on the rare occasion that a baby boomer actually retires or leaves.

There is no point where people are forcibly retired by the government, only an age where they are forced to take their social security and start drawing down their retirement accounts. Given how ill prepared old people approaching retirement age are for retirement they just continue to work into their old age instead of getting out of the way for the next generation.
01-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

And we help that by increasing the SS age and cutting benefits???
how about decreasing the retirement age for full bene's and maybe even a bonus...
I know you say "we can't afford it"...... pfffft.

01-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
And we help that by increasing the SS age and cutting benefits???
how about decreasing the retirement age for full bene's and maybe even a bonus...
I know you say "we can't afford it"...... pfffft.
Means test SS.
Make people who continue to work ineligible to receive SS and Medicare benefits while they are still making a regular paycheck.
Then maybe you can give some kind of incentive for early retirement by making the means test more generous at 62 than it is at 67.

Enough of the carats, we need to break out the sticks and drive the old mules to the glue factory.
01-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Means test SS.
Make people who continue to work ineligible to receive SS and Medicare benefits while they are still making a regular paycheck.
Then maybe you can give some kind of incentive for early retirement by making the means test more generous at 62 than it is at 67.

Enough of the carats, we need to break out the sticks and drive the old mules to the glue factory.
Give me full SS bene's today (including medicare) and I'd retire. Unfortunately few would want my old job...
Then I can make my way in the "shadow economy" of ebay and real estate.....
Wouldn't have to prod me too hard.
01-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Have you ever stopped to consider that maybe these old people can't just afford to step down and retire just to give some new young person coming in a break? Or that those younger people may be lucky to be working at all? Look at how much everything costs in Japan and you soon see that retirement is just a dream for a lot of the older people there.

It's no different here either. I did "internships" that they didn't even pay me for, got rave reviews from the people I did them for, and yet the most they offered me after was sporadic temp work when I could even get that.

I can't get any work in any of the three fields I have skills in right now. Unless I am willing to volunteer they don't want to see me walking in the door. Even office temp work is almost nonexistent locally. I haven't had a call from any of my temp agencies since the beginning of this year and when I call them? The answer is the same. "Sorry, we're trying but no one is calling us asking for people."

In the meantime I'm sh-out of luck and I can't even sell my extra stuff on CL to make my rent it seems anymore because no one is buying. They're too broke to have cash to spend. FYI, unemployment is at extreme levels in many places. I can't speak for Japan but here? A 20 something is lucky to be working a 4 hour shift at the local McDonald's and I am not exaggerating one bit.

Of course anyone lucky enough to be long term employed is going to hold onto their job like it was made of gold. They probably can't afford to quit! People don't just quit and retire these days. With the cost of living being what it is? People who would have quit at 65 are working till they drop now.

Who can blame them when the money they put away thinking it would be enough just isn't. When one major illness is likely all it would take to bankrupt them. Not everyone will retire and have health insurance or even money to do that at 65. For many people now there is no such thing as retirement. Ever.

Yeah, the kids coming into the work force are being forced to wait or work for less, but I don't see any alternatives to this situation really. I surely am not going to be able to rely on Social Security and whatever I can scrape up to live on at 65 the way things are going.

There's a reason I am going all entrepreneur and giving up on doing what I went to college for. The only way it seems that I am going to have a roof over my head is to work until I drop. Since I can't seemingly get a steady job any other way? I'm going to find my niche, and make me one. I don't expect I'll ever get rich doing photography, but if I am lucky and half decent at it I'll at least keep a roof over my head, which is actually more than I can currently do "not" being an office temp.

I don't hate the people who hold onto their jobs. I get why they're doing it just fine. No it's not ideal for the younger generation, nor even for people like me who are a bit older but whose careers are in transition for whatever reason, but that's the reality of living in the world we live in.

People can't just always quit when it's convenient for society. Not if they don't have a ton of $$$ in the bank, and most of us don't unfortunately these days. Me, I gambled my savings on going back to school and getting some more skills. Now I can't get a permanent job and I still owe more than I can comfortably think about.

I'm scared to death sometimes. I don't think I can afford to live to be too old. To actually retire? That's probably just a nice fantasy at this point. I'm too busy trying to live under the poverty line to let myself think much about tomorrow. I sure hope that I can make it doing what I'm aiming to do. If not? I'm going to be in real trouble come 65....

01-30-2011, 06:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

... I hear you, I'm at the tail end of the baby boomers and felt something similar... funny enough we 'forgot' about all this during the main working years but it sure came back to roost with us now - the idea is that when an industry spits you out these days, you won't get back in easily, and you'll be spat out at the worst time economically...

I'm thinking the demographics will be with the currently young people, because the old will die off before you all need to look at retirement as the next step.
01-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I hear all these carps about the deficit, but I fail to see anyone explain cogently why it has very much to do with the current problems. Likewise, SS hasn't contributed one penny to the deficit--just the opposite.

Older people will be working longer because our savings, which we were encouraged to keep and invest by the most conservative voices in society, rather than depend on the government, tanked. Much of my investment in the stock market has come back to close to where it was, but in one's late 50s, every year with zero or negative growth is a killer. I will not be retiring at age 65 absent some windfall. It is not a choice, but an economic reality.
01-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I hear all these carps about the deficit, but I fail to see anyone explain cogently why it has very much to do with the current problems. Likewise, SS hasn't contributed one penny to the deficit--just the opposite.

Older people will be working longer because our savings, which we were encouraged to keep and invest by the most conservative voices in society, rather than depend on the government, tanked. Much of my investment in the stock market has come back to close to where it was, but in one's late 50s, every year with zero or negative growth is a killer. I will not be retiring at age 65 absent some windfall. It is not a choice, but an economic reality.
just more deflection points to keep "us" from finding the real "masters of the game"...
Do we really want 'people" to truly understand that wall street and unbridled "capitalism (the true US religion) is what brought us to this point?????
That the gov can "spend" as much as it wants and needs on it's own people???
Granted that spending in turn must "feed the beast"...
That "feeding the beast" has had a very feeble ROI for the American people in the last 30 years (excluding that 1%)?
Naaahh just blame your "neighbor"......
A little bit of SANITY.............
QuoteQuote:
Economic Giants Can Handle Big Debts

Large national debts haven't prevented Japan, France or Germany from maintaining their status as economic powerhouses. The U.S. debt won't stop this nation either.
But if a large national debt doesn't prevent economic greatness, what's driving Pawlenty and others to paint a picture of economic ruin? Perhaps it's just a personal value or a belief that a nation should pay for all of its purchases and expenditures with cash? Or a belief that the federal government should not be involved in providing certain services to its citizens?
Or perhaps Pawlenty doesn't want the economy of the U.S. to become too much like the economy of France (with its capitalism tempered by a commitment to egalitarianism and defense of human dignity), or Germany (with its ingenious exporters, global competition-ready workforce and supportive social services), or Japan (with its innovation and world-class manufacturing).

I'll leave it to others to speculate on the real goals of lower-national-debt advocates, but one thing is certain: They can say the U.S. national debt is large, but they can't say a large debt prevents a nation from being an economic powerhouse.
See full article from DailyFinance: http://srph.it/gLTT8M
QuoteQuote:
More broadly, Darwinian natural selection may not work. Rather, like Gresham’s
law — which holds that bad money drives out good — reckless firms forced more
conservative firms to follow similarly reckless investment strategies. More prudent
firms might have done better in the long run but could not survive to take advantage
of that long run.
Our financial system failed in its core missions — allocating capital and managing
risk — with disastrous economic and social consequences, not just the misallocated
capital of the past but the huge disparity between potential and actual GDP in the
coming years, sums in the trillions of dollars. Regrettably, flawed economic theories
aided and abetted both those in the public and in the private sector in pursuing
policies that, almost inevitably, led to the current calamity.
We need to do a better job of managing our economy, but this will require better
research that is less framed by the flawed models of the past, less driven by simplistic
ideas, and more attuned to the realities of today. There is a rich research agenda
ahead.
http://www2.gsb.columbia.edu/faculty/jstiglitz/Crisis.cfm

Last edited by jeffkrol; 01-30-2011 at 02:16 PM.
01-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #11
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm torn on this issue. I have degrees galore, can work in a couple different fields, but my current job is 15 hrs/wk and I can't manage to find a job with more. On the other hand I have an 18 year old that can't even get a job in a fast food restaurant.

And then, working along side of me are several older ladies that have already retired once, joke about not needing the money they earn, and are hogging these jobs to keep themselves "busy." That ticks me off to no end. They won't quit and let someone else work because "heavens what would they do with themselves." I wish someone, or a policy, or something, would force them out. There are people who need those jobs (and would probably work a lot harder as well).
01-30-2011, 07:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

A few points in response to the OP.
-First it will be quite some time before the 20 something crowd contributes half as much to SS/ Medicare as us old people have in the past 30-40 years. We paid it in and most will never get it back out.
-Second all the younger college grads who can't find work may have chosen the wrong fields of study. My suggestion is learn a trade , don't be affraid to get dirt on your hands at work and listen to the old people who have been doing the job for eons. You might be able to learn from them.
Sorry but there are more people with computer skills and business degrees than there are jobs. There are plenty of jobs for welders , machinists and mechanics but the over quallified younger folks don't want them. Being a trades apprentice used to be considered a great opportunity. I have a friend who started as an appretice carpenter in the 80's . He now runs a building crew (foreman) . His boss starts framers at $16.00 per hour which is pretty good pay for this region but can't find any younger folks willing to work. Most of those who he hires don't last because they don't show up or do show up toasted. Darn shame when a 50 year old out works most of the 25 year olds he hires.
-Finally I'd like to suggest you direct your outrage toward the decline of manufacturing , outsourcing of jobs , importation of goods and use of "undocumented workers" rather than old people. I also believe you should be thanking some old people for feeding you and putting your happy butts through school so you could get useless degrees.
01-31-2011, 06:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
He now runs a building crew (foreman) . His boss starts framers at $16.00 per hour which is pretty good pay for this region but can't find any younger folks willing to work. Most of those who he hires don't last because they don't show up or do show up toasted. Darn shame when a 50 year old out works most of the 25 year olds he hires.
That's because they all dream of becoming hedge fund managers...... $16 vs $16,000/hr......
BTW: at $16/hr how are the benefits???? Health ins??? Pension??? Paid sick time?? I got a son who may be interested..
Just for fun.
01-31-2011, 08:31 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Let me try...

The US government faces multiple financial problems which are interrelated and contribute to one another but have different causes.

One problem is the current debt level which has been built up by decades of deficits.

The next problem, which you brought up, is the current year deficit it relates back to the debt because it contributes to the debt over time and because the interest on that debt is an expense that contributes to the current deficit. The present deficits we face are exacerbated by cyclical deficits which occur when cyclical revenue like income taxes decline and cyclical expenses like unemployment payouts increase.

The third problem is the structural deficit which is the government plan to continue running deficits in good times and in bad ad infinitum. In order to understand this problem better you should understand a little bit about accounting and the two main bases of accounting, cash and accrual. The government uses cash accounting which recognizes revenues and expenses when transactions are made and most businesses use accrual basis which recognize revenues and expenses when expenses are incurred. An easy to understand example on the difference of how these works is insurance where the premium is paid once per year, say your business has an insurance policy where you pay $1200 every January. On a cash basis there would be a $1200 expense every January and no record of this any other time of the year but on an accrual basis you would see a $100 expense every month even though the cash was still in your bank. Another example would be if a lawyer, such as yourself, took on a case that you expected to take at least 100 hours of your time at $200/hr and collected an up front retainer of $20,000 before you billed a single hour to the case; under a cash basis you would record a $20,000 profit in the month when you collected the retainer and then would record a loss as you actually performed the work whereas under an accrual basis you would record the retainer as a $20,000 asset and the case a $20,000 liability to unearned revenue and as you bill time to that case you will recognize that revenue and dispose of the liability to find the actual profit. As you look at your company's profitability over time accrual basis gives you a more realistic outlook of how your company is doing since you won't look insanely profitable when you are booking new business and collecting retainers then insanely lossy when you are actually working to take care of those cases.

Now that you understand the difference between cash basis and accrual basis think about the situation with social security and medicare. For decades these programs have been able to run surpluses recording a "profit" for the government on a cash basis but over the coming decades they are projected to record massive "losses" on a cash basis and the government has not kept that unearned revenue on its book as a liability. This is what people talk about when they say the federal government has "unfunded liabilities" they have made promises to pay out a lot of money to seniors and they have no money in the bank to pay it out so they must come up with the cash at the time when those liabilities are due either through taxes, monetization, or borrowing. Because the amount of these liabilities can only be estimated by people with incomplete information since the government doesn't report on an accrual basis no one can be sure the exact amount of the unfunded liabilities but estimates range from a low of $40 Trillion up to $100 Trillion.

The system of accounting that the government uses to calculate their long term liabilities is even more flimsy than the mark-to-market practices that got Enron into trouble.
01-31-2011, 08:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Prior to Bush II we had a surplus.......... which wasn't good either.
Haven't given up in your "obsolete" accounting yet have you...........
US GOV is NOT a mom and pop store......... none of it applies.
Closed Thread