Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2007, 11:05 AM   #1

Filter advise ?

I got an email today from the store that I can pickup my camera on Friday and I'm thinking of picking-up a UV-Filter at the same time to protect the Lens (I guess I could also use it later if I get a diffrent/more expensive one aswell).

Anyways, I've been reading that quality is pretty important since a cheap/bad filter can cause negative effects when shooting (B+W seems to be one of the top advised brands) so I wan wondering if anyone could advise me on the filters they have in my store (they don't have B+W).

Kenko 52mm UV Filter
Canon 52mm UV Filter (wouldn't put that on a Pentax unless there is a good reason for it )
Sigma 52mm UV Filter (Multi-Coated)

these are all 52mm ones I can find, they also sell Prinz (brand) filters but not in this size and they are sorted by price (website sorts it from cheap to expensive) and the Sigma multi-coated lens is about 5 euro more expensive then the cheapest Kenko, the Canon is in the middle).

They also have NC/Protect filters but they only have Canon/Nikon ones for 52mm (in fact they only have Canon/Nikon NC/Protect filters) the Canon is about the same price as the Canon UV Filter and the Nikon is the most expensive one (about 13 or 14 euro more then the Sigma UV Filter).

so I'm guessing the Sigma Multi-Coated one is the best one for me ? (or Kenko ? the Polarizer filter I ordered with the Camera is also from Kenko and they don't seem to be selling Sigma Pol. filters for 52mm, only Prinz and Kenko and both have the exact same price).

10-10-2007, 12:16 PM   #2
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Cloudy Wizzard Quote
I got an email today from the store that I can pickup my camera on Friday and I'm thinking of picking-up a UV-Filter at the same time to protect the Lens (I guess I could also use it later if I get a diffrent/more expensive one aswell).

Anyways, I've been reading that quality is pretty important since a cheap/bad filter can cause negative effects when shooting (B+W seems to be one of the top advised brands) so I wan wondering if anyone could advise me on the filters they have in my store (they don't have B+W).

Kenko 52mm UV Filter
Canon 52mm UV Filter (wouldn't put that on a Pentax unless there is a good reason for it )
Sigma 52mm UV Filter (Multi-Coated)

these are all 52mm ones I can find, they also sell Prinz (brand) filters but not in this size and they are sorted by price (website sorts it from cheap to expensive) and the Sigma multi-coated lens is about 5 euro more expensive then the cheapest Kenko, the Canon is in the middle).

They also have NC/Protect filters but they only have Canon/Nikon ones for 52mm (in fact they only have Canon/Nikon NC/Protect filters) the Canon is about the same price as the Canon UV Filter and the Nikon is the most expensive one (about 13 or 14 euro more then the Sigma UV Filter).

so I'm guessing the Sigma Multi-Coated one is the best one for me ? (or Kenko ? the Polarizer filter I ordered with the Camera is also from Kenko and they don't seem to be selling Sigma Pol. filters for 52mm, only Prinz and Kenko and both have the exact same price).
I think that Kenko=Hoya, but I am not 100% sure. If the Kenko is Multicoated, I would choose it.
10-10-2007, 08:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
I think that Kenko=Hoya, but I am not 100% sure. If the Kenko is Multicoated, I would choose it.
and Hoya is the (new) Owner of Pentax right ?

I guess I'll have to ask since the Sigma is the only one that has Multi-Coated included in it's name on their website so I think it's the only multi-coated one ?
10-11-2007, 09:34 AM   #4

Original Poster
I think that Kenko=Hoya, but I am not 100% sure.
I've been searching on this and found this :

QuoteQuote:
In a very real way, Kenko began developing this complete line of PRO - through - consumer video lenses about 20 years ago ? yes, well before the cameras themselves were even on the drawing boards. That's the benefit of having a common heritage with two other giants of optical technology and manufacturing: Tokina lenses and Hoya filters. As part of the THK family of photo products, you're assured of the most advanced design and fabrication technologies available. Superior optical configurations. Micron unit quality control. And a time-honored tradition of performance that runs in the family. With the Kenko name on the front, you get a lot more than meets the eye.
also :

QuoteQuote:
Kenko Co., Ltd. (株式会社ケンコー, Kabushiki-gaisha Kenkō?) is a Japanese manufacturer and trading company of photographic accessories, especially known for its filters. Located in Tokyo, they have been producing conversion lenses since the 1960s. They also produce camera lenses under the Tokina brand name.

[edit]
and :

QuoteQuote:
Tokina was founded by a group of Nikon engineers who left Nikon to concentrate on the development of high-quality zoom lenses, which were rare at the time. Originally an OEM manufacturer only, in the early 1970s they began selling lenses under their own Tokina brand.[1]

In recent years, Tokina has enjoyed a partnership with Pentax, with whom they have jointly developed new lenses, such as a 12–24 mm zoom and a 10–17 mm fisheye zoom.[2] These are available under the Pentax brand in Pentax K mount and under the Tokina brand for other lens mounts.

Tokina's glass is made by Hoya Corporation, the world's largest producer of optical glass.
so I guess you are correct.

10-11-2007, 12:22 PM   #5
Not Registered

Be careful with the non-coated filters and/or cheap filters. I have seen (in other people images) huge degradation of image quality (softness and washed colors mainly) even on the best brands (they dont care too much about the quality control of the low end filters). On the other side, consider the possibility of not buying one if the filter is going to be more expensive that the lens.
10-12-2007, 04:18 AM   #6

Original Poster
Be careful with the non-coated filters and/or cheap filters. I have seen (in other people images) huge degradation of image quality (softness and washed colors mainly) even on the best brands (they dont care too much about the quality control of the low end filters). On the other side, consider the possibility of not buying one if the filter is going to be more expensive that the lens.
LOL

I found an online retailer that has the Hoya lenses (12 times coated and coated on both sides) for about the same price as the Kenko in my local store (so I guess the Kenko's are the same in quality ?).

Anyways I'll be sure to ask about the coating since it's not always listed (that online store has 3 diffrent Hoya UV filters ranging from fairly cheap to a bit more expensive and very expensive, but only the middle (price) one has listed that it's coated).
10-12-2007, 05:57 AM   #7
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Cloudy Wizzard Quote
LOL

I found an online retailer that has the Hoya lenses (12 times coated and coated on both sides) for about the same price as the Kenko in my local store (so I guess the Kenko's are the same in quality ?).

Anyways I'll be sure to ask about the coating since it's not always listed (that online store has 3 diffrent Hoya UV filters ranging from fairly cheap to a bit more expensive and very expensive, but only the middle (price) one has listed that it's coated).
You may also want to check this site hvStar.com >>>Photo, Digital, Video Game ON SALE (MaxSaver; BestEastern; hkDirect; hvPhoto) (somebody in the forum recommend it and the prices are really good). The site is from Hong KOng (if am not wrong) so it means slow-expensive deliveries but it worth it if you have many things to buy. Check also The Filter Connection: the 1st store to specialize in Camera Filters, Hoya Pro 1, Tiffen Camera Filters, Cokin filters and B+W filters I think they have a nice variety of filters at very reasonable prices.

Hope it helps

10-13-2007, 12:21 AM   #8

Original Poster
I asked and they told me the Kenko was not multi-coated (at least wasn't mentioned anywhere on the box) so I got the Sigma multi-coated one.