Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Ed n Georgia's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 940
PayPal personal (gift) Payments

Today, I'm learning a valuable lesson in why this method should not be used to purchase Camera bodies.

Shame on me because I already knew better.



02-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 47,250
We ban people for that, you know! Have you asked for a return?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Ed n Georgia's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 940
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We ban people for that, you know! Have you asked for a return?
Yes, adam, I have.

I'll PM you the information.


Ed
02-02-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 47,250
Alright. In the future, please don't buy from people who don't have marketplace access- that's against the rules in itself.


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
There's no buyer protection, Is there?

02-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
There's no buyer protection, Is there?

Unfortunately there is no buyer's protection if you pay with a gift/personal payment.
02-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
There's limited seller protection too because Technically, there IS no seller.. I've looked into it, don't encourage it and don't ask for it. I just tack the fees on to my item and let it go at that. That annoys some people off but I don't care. They can buy from someone else if it bothers them that much.


Last edited by pjv; 06-23-2017 at 12:00 AM. Reason: remove swearing
02-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Ed n Georgia's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 940
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Alright. In the future, please don't buy from people who don't have marketplace access- that's against the rules in itself.
Thanks Adam,

At the time of the purchase, I didn't know that he didn't have marketplace access. He responded to my "wanted" post.

I'll be more thorough in the future.

Ed

02-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #9
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 231
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed n Georgia Quote
Today, I'm learning a valuable lesson in why this method should not be used to purchase Camera bodies.

Shame on me because I already knew better.

Hey neighbor,

Sound like somebody may have put a screwin to you. Would you PM me and tell me who it was so that I can avoid them.
02-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #10
Pentaxian
panoguy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Washington, D.C.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,291
Well, Ed, I'm sorry to hear about your "lesson learned."

If no name is ever divulged, this thread would be a helpful "warning sign" to lots of folks buying and selling. I know that I always offer to pay any fee if someone requests a Paypal "gift" payment, mainly because of what Ed has found out, and because Paypal Canada charges a fee for international "gift" payments anyhow! (Might as well get an assurance for that fee.) It also helps to send the payment for "goods and services" and be specific about what is being paid for in the notes to the seller (in case they do a lot of online or eBay sales, so you don't end up getting the wrong thing!).

And like JeffJS, I always include the fee in my price when selling here. It's the cost of doing business with Paypal and helps both buyer and seller!
02-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 47,250
QuoteOriginally posted by Oscar1 Quote
Hey neighbor,

Sound like somebody may have put a screwin to you. Would you PM me and tell me who it was so that I can avoid them.
The user has been banned from PF as he did not want to cooperate further. For some reason he though he was the one being cheated!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Ed n Georgia's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 940
Original Poster
And.... Many thanks to Adam who acted as an intermediary and tried to help me with getting resolution to the problem.

Yes, Lessons learned.

Last edited by Ed n Georgia; 02-03-2011 at 10:49 AM.
02-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #13
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rockford, IL
Photos: Albums
Posts: 73
Wow. I never even thought about that. What happened to people just giving you their word on something and sticking to it? Sorry to hear about this happening to you.
02-03-2011, 10:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by mustangjoey Quote
Wow. I never even thought about that. What happened to people just giving you their word on something and sticking to it? Sorry to hear about this happening to you.
The good news is 99% of the time that works fine. It's the other 1% that bites you in the ass.
02-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #15
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rockford, IL
Photos: Albums
Posts: 73
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
The good news is 99% of the time that works fine. It's the other 1% that bites you in the ass.
Right you are Dan. That 1% makes us forget about the 99% fast too. At least I know one guy on here that I can trust for sure..... Btw, that lens was an awesome addition. Thanks again
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
People Christmas Gift What do you think Scottnorwo Post Your Photos! 1 11-08-2010 08:20 PM
Macro would you gift wrap that for me ? dcmsox2004 Post Your Photos! 10 08-12-2010 01:45 PM
Please, help me for a gift :) malmstrom Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 03-02-2010 03:23 AM
Anybody using Amazon Payments instead of Paypal? heliphoto General Talk 8 01-16-2010 06:19 AM
Aussie Paypal Payments. Bramela General Talk 11 06-04-2008 06:16 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:20 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top