Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2007, 01:50 PM   #16
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm no expert on batteries so this thread from Photo net might offer some answers. You'd need a multi tester to check the batteries to see if you had a bad one. I don't know if you were using the flash but if so that can drain the batteries pretty fast as well.

Pentax Forum: Batteries for Pentax K100D (and other K dSLR products)? - photo.net

10-13-2007, 02:14 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I looked up those batteries, and they claim their good for digital cameras.

The Alkaline batteries that came with my camera were only good for around 200 photos as well. I believe that Pentax claims they're only for checking the cameras functionality.
Which basically means making sure that it works.
10-13-2007, 03:34 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All the foregoing is very useful information, but one thing I notice, that has not been mentioned, it appears that the photos have been taken through the window glass??
If I am right this would not be helpful either, as the reflections, distortions etc would distract from the picture quality, Perhaps try the shot with the window open, if possible.

Just an additional thought
10-14-2007, 12:42 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I looked up those batteries, and they claim their good for digital cameras.

The Alkaline batteries that came with my camera were only good for around 200 photos as well. I believe that Pentax claims they're only for checking the cameras functionality.
Which basically means making sure that it works.
after recharging the batteries I was able to shoot my 1GB card full for about 12 times (did some bulk shooting last night ) but the camera does complain about the batteries pretty soon (first time after 6 shots) but tuning off and back on fixes that. Also the battery indicator goes from full to empty to half-full to full again.

So I guess the batteries are not bad at the moment

10-14-2007, 12:47 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
All the foregoing is very useful information, but one thing I notice, that has not been mentioned, it appears that the photos have been taken through the window glass??
If I am right this would not be helpful either, as the reflections, distortions etc would distract from the picture quality, Perhaps try the shot with the window open, if possible.

Just an additional thought
thanks, yes they were shot from a closed window (just wanted to do a quick test) I'll try with the window open the next time
10-14-2007, 01:03 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cloudy Wizzard Quote
the camera does complain about the batteries pretty soon (first time after 6 shots) but tuning off and back on fixes that. Also the battery indicator goes from full to empty to half-full to full again.
This seems to be pretty common with K100s. There have been threads, I think both here and at dpreview, discussing the phenomenon. My K100 often shows the batteries half depleted, but if I turn it off and on again, it shows them full. It's been doing that for weeks and I still haven't got around to charging them! (Eneloops - wonderful things.) I largely ignore the battery level indicator and just make sure I have a spare fully charged set with me.

Julie
10-14-2007, 10:12 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
This seems to be pretty common with K100s. There have been threads, I think both here and at dpreview, discussing the phenomenon. My K100 often shows the batteries half depleted, but if I turn it off and on again, it shows them full. It's been doing that for weeks and I still haven't got around to charging them! (Eneloops - wonderful things.) I largely ignore the battery level indicator and just make sure I have a spare fully charged set with me.

Julie
I see the same thing on my K100D, too, and I use Rayovac Hybrids (similar to Eneloops). On the first charge I got about 500 photos before my camera stopped working (mostly RAW, no flash), and long before that the halfway battery warning would come and go constantly. Many people here have reported problems with many rechargeable batteries, but those using the low-self discharge ones like the Eneloops and Rayovac don't seem to have any problems.

Alex

10-15-2007, 12:38 AM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gerbilbox Quote
but those using the low-self discharge ones like the Eneloops and Rayovac don't seem to have any problems.

Alex
Hmm, problem is that I can't find those "hybrid" batteries around here (at the moment) My camera shop has the uniross ones but not the Hybrids just the plain NiMh that come depleted. They sell the 2500mAh ones which are a bit lower then my GP's at 2700mAh (but the 2700 are actually 2600mAh).

Maybe these are still "to new" since the USA is always faster with those stuff then Europe ?
10-15-2007, 09:31 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Cloudy Wizzard Quote
Hmm, problem is that I can't find those "hybrid" batteries around here (at the moment) My camera shop has the uniross ones but not the Hybrids just the plain NiMh that come depleted. They sell the 2500mAh ones which are a bit lower then my GP's at 2700mAh (but the 2700 are actually 2600mAh).

Maybe these are still "to new" since the USA is always faster with those stuff then Europe ?
Several companies sell their own versions of low-self discharge batteries, not just Sanyo's Eneloops and Rayovac's Hybrids. This Wiki article mentions several more, see if you can find any of them in your part of Europe.

The Eneloop site has a press release saying that Eneloops have been in Europe for over a year now, they might just be hard to find.

Alex