Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cold fusion coming?

Italian cold fusion saga continues with new papers released
Italian Scientists Claim (Dubious) Cold Fusion Breakthrough - FoxNews.com
Between this and the Bussard reactor... we may finally have something.. too bad the world is wasting billions on "other methods"......
Focus Fusion poses competition to Tokamak
QuoteQuote:
Focus Fusion poses competition to $10 billion Tokamak
Seems we have 4 competing techs though 2 may be equal (euv and italian cold "fusion").........
I actually have grown quite optimistic.............
The ITER Tokamac is quite the money pit... seems to be one of those "Things" that if it's expensive it has to be "right"......

02-09-2011, 07:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Color me skeptical. While it would be fantastic if true, you know what they say about "if it seems too good to be true".
02-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Color me skeptical. While it would be fantastic if true, you know what they say about "if it seems too good to be true".
I too will "believe it when I see it" but following not only this trend but the "Bussard Reactor" it does seem there is some meat out there. maybe just wishful thinking.
Like the 100mpg car.....
02-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If I hear it on Fox,its gotta be true,there are laws that prevent the distribution of
anything but the cold,hard facts.But still,have to wonder if maybe someone has a
thought towards manipulating a commodities market for something like copper.

02-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Market manipulation?
I thought that was illegal.

Next you're gonna tell me there's collusion.
02-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
Market manipulation?
I thought that was illegal.

Next you're gonna tell me there's collusion.
02-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Was just having a conversation about this recently...a few weeks ago, and how I was remembering back about 21-22 years ago when there was a big rumor/optimism surfacing at the Georgia Institute of Technology that cold fusion had been broken and would be the biggest discovery of our lifetime. I remember the feeling going around about how cool that would be if actually true. Years later, I cant say it is any less exciting to think about it, but think it will never happen in our lifetime, or for many more to come.

P.S. Why is this in the political/religious discussion section?

Jason

Last edited by Jasvox; 02-09-2011 at 02:27 PM.
02-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
P.S. Why is this in the political/religious discussion section?

Jason
Fair question. My only answer is because govmnts spend billions chasing this dream.... and in some respect it's funny to watch it happen AND THEN a simple cheap solution appears.. IF it appears.......
AND if it ever really happened it could threaten large segments of the economy and destabilize countries.....
I suppose you could make a case to move it to "open talk"..
Bit of an update:
http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/MacyMspecificso.pdf
http://www.lenr-canr.org/News.htm
http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l@eskimo.com/msg39377.html

Last edited by jeffkrol; 02-09-2011 at 04:08 PM.
02-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Jeez, if an Italian invented it... would the EU suddenly become the new OPEC
02-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Read that PDF,How long would it take my grand-daughter to evaporate 10 ounces
(by weight) of water with a magnifying len's.jimmy cricket,throw an evaporator
down etna,get joe the plumber to hook it up and yer off and runnin.

Dont believe precedent for "fusion collusion" has been established in court
ie...Everytime I buy another lens,wife gives me "that look" I respond by saying
"If you dont say no,that means yes"
02-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #11
Forum Member

Nuclear Engineer here....nope, cold fusion isn't coming anytime soon.
02-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
Nuclear Engineer here....nope, cold fusion isn't coming anytime soon.
So what are the major hurtles for humanity to figure out?
02-09-2011, 11:43 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
So what are the major hurtles for humanity to figure out?
Well, basically cold fusion is a myth. It can't really happen under our laws of physics. Kind of like a perpetual motion device. Cold fusion has at least theories, but they don't tend to work out.

Cold fusion was first discovered by accident in 89. Well, at least so they thought. About every two years or so somebody claims to have broken through, but really it just can't happen. The DoE has dumped plenty of money into it, and every time, they basically say, nope, can't be done.

On the other hand, if fusion plants come online, commerical breeder reactors become popular, or the damn US government will let us reprocess our spent fues, we will have all the energy we need forever. That and the fact that 2/3rds of all energy produced at power plants in the US is dumped into the atmosphere, instead of going toward secondary steam cycles is simply ridiculous. We have all the damn energy we need right here in the US, basically being held back by big money companies who don't want to change from what they have been doing for a hundred years and Congress not wanting to change some laws.

Sorry rant over.
02-10-2011, 07:29 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, basically cold fusion is a myth. It can't really happen under our laws of physics. Kind of like a perpetual motion device. Cold fusion has at least theories, but they don't tend to work out.

Cold fusion was first discovered by accident in 89. Well, at least so they thought. About every two years or so somebody claims to have broken through, but really it just can't happen. The DoE has dumped plenty of money into it, and every time, they basically say, nope, can't be done.

On the other hand, if fusion plants come online, commerical breeder reactors become popular, or the damn US government will let us reprocess our spent fues, we will have all the energy we need forever. That and the fact that 2/3rds of all energy produced at power plants in the US is dumped into the atmosphere, instead of going toward secondary steam cycles is simply ridiculous. We have all the damn energy we need right here in the US, basically being held back by big money companies who don't want to change from what they have been doing for a hundred years and Congress not wanting to change some laws.

Sorry rant over.
So does that mean my Delorean with the Mr. Fusion won't work?
02-10-2011, 07:44 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Sorry rant over.
Maybe want to keep a wee open mind.....
QuoteQuote:
A New Explanation: But It’s Not Fusion
Now, researchers are beginning to see “cold fusion” in a new light, possibly based on weak interactions. Srinivasan explained this at the press conference.

“What seems to be occurring is other nuclear reactions which don’t fall into the categories of fission or fusion,” he said. “All kinds of nuclear phenomena seem to be happening at room temperature.

“Something in the solid state seems to be catalyzing all kinds of nuclear reactions, with the beautiful difference that there is very little radiation. When we talk of nuclear reactions, we always associate them with nuclear radiation.”

“Now there seems to be a mechanism that happens with very little radiation,” Srinivasan said. “It’s almost a [completely] clean source of energy. … Somehow, the excess energy seems to be transferred directly to the lattice without emitting radiation.”

“One of the very interesting theories is from Srivastava, Widom and [Larsen], which tries to explain [LENR] in terms of the weak interaction and production of [ultra-low-momentum] neutrons. I think it’s a very interesting theory,” Srinivasan said. “I think we should take note of it.”

The group’s groundbreaking theory, published in the European Physics Journal C in 2005, suggests how energy may be released but gamma radiation suppressed. It proposes not fusion but a combination of weak interactions and neutron capture and requires no “new physics.”

The paper is called “Ultra-Low-Momentum Neutron-Catalyzed Nuclear Reactions on Metallic Hydride Surfaces.” Its authors are Lewis Larsen and Allan Widom. The duo also performed further work with a third researcher, Indian-born scientist Yogendra Srivastava, who now works in Italy. The trio recently published another peer-reviewed paper, this time in Pramana – Journal of Physics. [Download paper]

On Tuesday, Larsen, who was not at the conference, told New Energy Times that LENR can “potentially represent an ideal new low-cost, carbon-free energy source for mankind.”

He said that, until his group’s first paper published in May 2005, experimental results involving phenomena erroneously called “cold fusion” were theoretically inexplicable.
ZPEnergy.com - Cold Fusion Researchers Say Biggest Problem Is Stigma
Academic battles are always fun........
I suppose the term "cold fusion" is a bit incorrect.........

Last edited by jeffkrol; 02-10-2011 at 08:00 AM.