Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by techmulla Quote
compared to Pakistan, the role of egyption army is quite commendable, if it was Pakistan, there would have been a martial administrator by now.
The army acted more as peace keepers this time. The only time I saw them draw guns was when Mubarak supporters threw a Molotov cocktail at a tank.
I am thinking CIA made some promises?

I am so glad it wasn't a repeat of what happened in Iran.

02-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I must say I had mixed feelings watching the crowds cheer and rejoice over Mubarak"s departure. While a corrupt tyrant is now gone, Egypt has essentially been a military dictatorship for the past half century and the military is still in control. The news reporter I was watching mentioned that the cabinet and parliment have been dissolved so has anything really changed?
02-12-2011, 11:53 PM   #18
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's yet more to do, and hopefully a democratically elected successor will resume the country's progress. For now, the news there in photos:

ABC News - Egypt protests in photos
02-13-2011, 05:23 AM   #19
Inactive Account

I gotta say, it was bloody beautiful what happened in Egypt, and was rightfully the top headline around the world for the past few weeks.

It was a leaderless, populist revolution, which is about as democratic as it gets. It was pretty peaceful, as these things go, and coherent. Protesters were lining up voluntarily to be searched for weapons. And, before anyone else says otherwise, no, the Muslim Brotherhood didn't have much to do with it. They were more or less tagging along.

Everyone's now back in the Tahrir Square, cleaning up. Surreal or what?

02-13-2011, 06:05 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
There have to be other stories out there of national interest but why won't the press move on?
Really! Let's get back to the "missing white girl" & "Oprah wears sandals" stories.
02-13-2011, 06:24 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
, hopefully events continue to unfold like that.
02-13-2011, 06:55 AM   #22
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
The press has been relentlesly banging this drum for about 2 weeks now. I have even had to turn off NPR yesterday and this morning because they spend about 30 minutes of every hour following the non-development of this story and overanalyzing the situation and it crowds out any other news. You would think the crowd of protesters were on the national mall with the amount of coverage this story has been getting. It has been receiving a similar level of intensity of coverage from other outlets like HP, NYT, and nightly news programs (which I generally don't watch because of the pharmaceutical commercials).

There have to be other stories out there of national interest but why won't the press move on?
You are looking for news on Egypt then complaing about it, you must be a conservative.
Justin Bieber has more hits than Egypt, 461,265,447 hits on this video alone.
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kffacxfA7G4[/YT]

Last edited by jogiba; 02-13-2011 at 07:05 AM.
02-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I gotta say, it was bloody beautiful what happened in Egypt, and was rightfully the top headline around the world for the past few weeks.

It was a leaderless, populist revolution, which is about as democratic as it gets. It was pretty peaceful, as these things go, and coherent. Protesters were lining up voluntarily to be searched for weapons. And, before anyone else says otherwise, no, the Muslim Brotherhood didn't have much to do with it. They were more or less tagging along.

It's brilliant!

A section of the protesters are going to remain in vigil until the handover to civilian rule takes place.

A victory for people power and open media. Twitter, Facebook, Wikileaks and good old fashioned word of mouth activism, all there in the mix and making the world a better place.
02-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #24
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also consider it a victorious revolution when the world can get behind the people to defeat mandated governmental repression of the media and information through technology and spread the news around. Glad to see the country not have to undergo what a number of other African countries have, but I eagerly await a progressive leader to reestablish the country again.
02-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The extent to which these events will lead to real democracy remains to be seen, of course.
02-14-2011, 05:15 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
The extent to which these events will lead to real democracy remains to be seen, of course.
True, but there is a lot of distance between what they had and a real democracy. Things could be much better for them even short of a complete change.
02-14-2011, 07:52 AM   #27

The press being the press need to foster controversy, fear, uncertainty and doubt just to survive. The Western coverage will continue until something with more FUD comes along.

Consider this ....

What would happen if 100,000 or even 20,000 people gathered on the Washington Mall and demanded the US President (pick any) resign immediately and leave the country?
What would we think if the President of Egypt publickly backed the protesters (after years of privately supporting the incumbent)?

Let's say the movement grew and 500,000 people joined the protesters.
1. would the President resign per Nixon?
2. would there be tanks on Pennsylvania Ave?
3. what could happen if the press were not there to follow the events?

I fear events would not be that different.
02-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I don't understand what you're trying to say.
I don't feel fear, uncertainty, doubt. This is good news.
I think if there were a popular uprising in the US, the president would resign, yes.
I would be surprised if some world leaders did not jump on their band wagons. We would not hear about it though.
I think there would definitely be tanks, yes.
News would get out just like it did in Egypt.... Twitter.

I agree that events would not be that different. Maybe more police brutality and a lot more shooting.
I don't think that any of this is something to fear though.
02-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #29
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

....And, before anyone else says otherwise, no, the Muslim Brotherhood didn't have much to do with it. They were more or less tagging along.
Good point. I haven't followed this as closely as some, but it seems that religion, has virtually no role in what's going on.
02-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #30
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Good point. I haven't followed this as closely as some, but it seems that religion, has virtually no role in what's going on.
You'd only have to live and work in Egypt for a couple of years to see what motivated the mass action. A pseudo-leader come dictator, deplorable conditions only worsening for the Egyptians, inspiration from the Tunisians - all enough to get them going...