Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Why is Egypt still the lead story in the USA?

The press has been relentlesly banging this drum for about 2 weeks now. I have even had to turn off NPR yesterday and this morning because they spend about 30 minutes of every hour following the non-development of this story and overanalyzing the situation and it crowds out any other news. You would think the crowd of protesters were on the national mall with the amount of coverage this story has been getting. It has been receiving a similar level of intensity of coverage from other outlets like HP, NYT, and nightly news programs (which I generally don't watch because of the pharmaceutical commercials).

There have to be other stories out there of national interest but why won't the press move on?

02-11-2011, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #2

I think people recognize that this has the potential to be a "once in a generation" transformational event. 20 years from now you're going to look back and trace a chain of events back to the Egyptian popular uprising. Maybe...
02-11-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is the potential for this to get ugly and out of hand. All the news channels want to be there when the mayhem strikes. Besides, nothing else exciting is happening anywhere. American Idol sucks this year. Watching people shovel snow in Texas gets boring real quick. But have no fear. Spring is coming and that means big floods when all the snow melts, not to mention the tornadoes. Egypt will soon be forgotten.
02-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Well, there MUST be some Sarah Palin news around somewhere. Just look around.
Bristol is writing a memoir.
I think the Oscars are soon.
Bunch of congress critters are retiring.
Gabby Gifford is starting to speak. (That's actually pretty amazing!)
Need more?

02-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For the US of A, I can think of a few things that resonate with us:
1. prospect of a Democratic Revolution feeds right into our own sense of history - we love seeing The People overthrow a Tyrant, especially when it seems they are doing it on their own rather than via our CIA or military prodding
2. prospect of non-violent means producing social change recalls the Civil Rights era
3. Egypt and Israel are connected, this is geopolitically important
4. Egypt and Arab/Islamic countries are connected, add oil and terrorism to the geopolitical import
5. The Global Caliphate
02-11-2011, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
And it is not just Egypt. Whatever happens there could be a pattern for the whole of North Africa.
02-11-2011, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Similar to some ways with the events that were happening with the Soviet Union and other eastern European countries in 1989-1991 time frame. With the ways the north African countries are holding large scale demonstrations and rallies, on their own in defiance of governments and regimes that have seemed to have had hold on them for generations and generations, the same was happening in the autumn in 1989 in Berlin. I was lucky enough to have been in Berlin in November of 1989 when the demonstrations were happening at the Brandenburg Gate and the first crumblings of the wall, and was witness to the way it had such an effect on the citizens who were forcing this change. Although I was there as an outsider as an American citizen, I was blown away by it all just the same. I can only hope what is spreading through the Arab world at the moment continues and for positive outcomes in those countries.
At the moment, I am very glad the USA seems to be playing a spectator to it all, I think it is the smartest move we could be making. Changing times for sure.

Jason

02-11-2011, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

Jeez.mike.
Christians and Muslims are actually getting along in the pursuit of freedom.
That's pretty rare in the region.
02-11-2011, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
And it is not just Egypt. Whatever happens there could be a pattern for the whole of North Africa.
+1 This also applies to arabs in general, historically Egypt has been quite influential among them. That could mean major global impact for good or bad; the arab and muslim worlds are quite intertwined.

News update: Mubarak resigns (BBC News - Egypt crisis: President Hosni Mubarak resigns as leader).
02-11-2011, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
+1 This also applies to arabs in general, historically Egypt has been quite influential among them. That could mean major global impact for good or bad; the arab and muslim worlds are quite intertwined.

News update: Mubarak resigns (BBC News - Egypt crisis: President Hosni Mubarak resigns as leader).
+1 on this Jolepp
I'm of the wait and see POV on this, it could be good or bad, and most of Africa can be influenced by this action at the moment (in some cases it couldn't make things worse look at the Sudan right now)

Was watching the celebration on the streets during lunch today. It's pretty impressive so far, but the army who served mubarak is now in charge, not sure this is going to be better. we'll see
02-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It may be a bit more that "Mubarak served the army" rather than the other way around. Mubarak is now no longer useful to the army.

In Egypt, the military actually owns and operates many of the mills, factories, and many other means of employment. Aside from military pursuits, the army is responsible for much of the economy. And so, the army needs the people as much as the people need the army.

The disposable component: Mubarak. And I think I'm hearing that now he is gone.
02-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

GONE!
I can't believe it! Congratulations to the people. I salute you!

You can follow here.
02-11-2011, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #13
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is not good news yet, friends.
The Egyptian army can only be so much of a political asset to the country. For now it seems alright, but look at the very recent history:
Egyptian Military Backs Mubarak
Obama: Transition Prospects "Not Yet Clear"

And this report:
Celebrations sweep Egypt as Mubarak era ends - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

A senior member of the Muslim Brotherhood said Egyptians had achieved the main goal of their popular uprising.

"I salute the Egyptian people and the martyrs. This is the day of victory for the Egyptian people," said Mohamed el-Katatni, former leader of the Brotherhood's parliamentary bloc.

But injecting a note of caution about the military's role in Egypt's future, Mr Katatni said the Brotherhood awaits the next steps to be taken by the ruling Higher Military Council.

Mr Mubarak yesterday continued his refusal to step down completely, instead offering to hand some power to his vice president ahead of a promised election in September, but angry protesters intensified their uprising, marching on the presidential palace and the state television tower.

Fears held for Egypt | World News | Breaking World News | Toowoomba Chronicle
02-11-2011, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Agreed. Not out of the woods yet. We'll have to wait and see.
These are exciting and hopeful times!

Here's a harsh criticism of Suleiman:
?Omar Suleiman, the CIA's Man in Cairo and Egypt's Torturer-in-Chief?
02-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #15

compared to Pakistan, the role of egyption army is quite commendable, if it was Pakistan, there would have been a martial administrator by now.