Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cut,cut cut and cut

With politicians from the President on down to Governors and Mayors planning to cut funding to everything in sight, I've yet to hear a word from the magical mystical, invisible hand of the free market on plans to fill in the gaps these cuts will surly create.
No word from Goldman Sachs on massive funding for soup kitchens
No word from J P Morgan on fixing roads and bridges.
No word from Humana on funding mental health or dental clinics.
No word from Koch industries on funding police and fire departments, nationwide.

I guess an invisible hand is like a ghost.
It can't really do anything in the real world.

02-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
Inactive Account

You could offer 95% of your income as taxes. That way the gov't employees will be bringing your food stamps to you in a limo and maybe the GM and Chrysler workers can get another <$10K bonus mid year and Pelosi can get her own 747 with a piano and the Murtha Airport can expand its runways and we can send another few million to Africa on the ***** washing project and the Calif City of Bell's city management needs another raise and we can extend Obama Care to all of Mexico and we can bail out California's mismanaged budget shortfall of $29 billion and we can continue to have Fanny Mae/Mac buy all the world's junk mortgages and maybe on the moon too. :-)

The dollar will soon come in a perforated roll and be quilted.

Put your own favorite gov't spending 'and' here:
02-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Phil1 Quote

Naaa.. that would make it "functional".....
Anyways you know I totally disagree..
since this thread is already wallowing I think maybe we should make it more "global"
ie GB's "Big Society".......
David Cameron to rescue 'big society' with extra cash | Politics | guardian.co.uk
QuoteQuote:
Claims from Labour and others that talk of a big society is a way of concealing the cuts agenda are also rejected. "That is simply not true," the prime minister argues. "I was talking about social responsibility long before the cuts. Building a stronger, bigger society is something we should try to do whether spending is going up or down.

Controversially, banks that lend money to the big society bank will do so on a normal commercial lending basis, meaning they will make a profit.
How do the "Brits" feel about it????
QuoteQuote:
Not much joy for the Coalition in our ComRes poll for tomorrow’s Independent on Sunday, shared with the Sunday Mirror. Labour’s lead has firmed up at six points; our tracker questions on public spending cuts have all moved against the Government; and people are unimpressed by the Big Society.
“Big Society Cover for Cuts”: Poll | John Rentoul | Independent Eagle Eye Blogs
How is there economy reacting:
QuoteQuote:
Figures released Tuesday delivered a shock to markets as Great Britain’s economy dropped 0.5% in Q4 of 2010. The unexpected bad news caused the pound to tumble, losing 1.5% in early trading, and the FTSE to follow, with a drop of 0.6% by mid-morning.
British GDP in Q4 Takes Unexpected Drop of 0.5% | Advisor One
2011/02/12
QuoteQuote:
The Big Society is a 10 year project to change the nation's culture from one of "entitlement" and dependency on the state to one of involvement and engagement with local affairs and, crucially, a feeling of empowerment and responsibility.

========================================

"Entitlement". Hah - don't make me laugh. I was recently made redundant. I have been in work for the last 26 years, paid all my taxes, national insurance. I'm now made to feel like a naughty schoolboy at the Job Centre for the princely sum of £64 a week which I will only get for 6 months. Tell me where empowerment and responsibility comes into that. Big society - you can go and take a big running jump along with Camoron and his grasping millionaire cronies. It's little wonder people try to screw the system when they see Politicians and Bankers with their noses constantly in the trough without any comeback.
BBC - Mark Easton's UK: Rescuing Cameron's vision of the Big Society

Last edited by jeffkrol; 02-13-2011 at 11:53 AM.
02-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Phil1 Quote
You could offer 95% of your income as taxes. That way the gov't employees will be bringing your food stamps to you in a limo and maybe the GM and Chrysler workers can get another <$10K bonus mid year and Pelosi can get her own 747 with a piano and the Murtha Airport can expand its runways and we can send another few million to Africa on the ***** washing project and the Calif City of Bell's city management needs another raise and we can extend Obama Care to all of Mexico and we can bail out California's mismanaged budget shortfall of $29 billion and we can continue to have Fanny Mae/Mac buy all the world's junk mortgages and maybe on the moon too. :-)

Pretty good mis-read what I asked.

I guess I should have added mythical free market hand.

02-14-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Well, it is obvious to anyone who looks at this the right way: When walking around, today all we see are people on the dole, and government workers enjoying one of their many breaks or holidays... anyone wanting to become wealthy in this stifling environment is obviously frustrated with all the government boots on his neck, needing to fill out this and document that. Anyone wishing to hire a quality employee is competing against the fat cat government; and once hired the employee invariably regresses to the mean of incompetence that government employment has conditioned him to.

You take away those cushy government jobs, those golden health plans and platinum retirement pensions... You reduce the amount of freeloading in the system by cutting unemployment and other coddling programs... let people stand on their own two feet for a change, take responsibility for their own finances, retirement, health.

Suddenly the entire economy is transformed: people see the opportunity to get wealthy through business, they are able to hire motivated employees, business no longer competes with government and therefore is able to blossom into the all American Job Creating Machine it truly can be!

Will there be short-term displacement? Certainly, after all the long conditioning of Americans will take some undoing. People will bitch and moan about their government gravy trains coming to an end. But soon enough we'll have a Republican in the White House and a Republican majority in Congress. America will enter into a new renaissance of creativity and values, raising all of us to prosperity we can only dream about in this welfare state.

---

btw, notice how small Popular Photography magazine is? The last time magazines shrank like this was during WW II... this too is an indication of how much the Vampire Government is sucking out of our vibrant private enterprise...

[management does not agree or disagree with the sentiments above, but for the sake of reporting all sides...]
02-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sounds like paradise!

At that point I guess Goldman Sachs can have what is left in the US treasury to erect a 900 foot tall statue of Hank Paulson in Manhattan.

inre: pop photo. My guess is they just don't have enough articles on Pentax.
I know that's why I don't buy them.
02-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Well, it is obvious to anyone who looks at this the right way: When walking around, today all we see are people on the dole, and government workers enjoying one of their many breaks or holidays... anyone wanting to become wealthy in this stifling environment is obviously frustrated with all the government boots on his neck, needing to fill out this and document that. Anyone wishing to hire a quality employee is competing against the fat cat government; and once hired the employee invariably regresses to the mean of incompetence that government employment has conditioned him to.

You take away those cushy government jobs, those golden health plans and platinum retirement pensions... You reduce the amount of freeloading in the system by cutting unemployment and other coddling programs... let people stand on their own two feet for a change, take responsibility for their own finances, retirement, health.

Suddenly the entire economy is transformed: people see the opportunity to get wealthy through business, they are able to hire motivated employees, business no longer competes with government and therefore is able to blossom into the all American Job Creating Machine it truly can be!

Will there be short-term displacement? Certainly, after all the long conditioning of Americans will take some undoing. People will bitch and moan about their government gravy trains coming to an end. But soon enough we'll have a Republican in the White House and a Republican majority in Congress. America will enter into a new renaissance of creativity and values, raising all of us to prosperity we can only dream about in this welfare state.

---

btw, notice how small Popular Photography magazine is? The last time magazines shrank like this was during WW II... this too is an indication of how much the Vampire Government is sucking out of our vibrant private enterprise...

[management does not agree or disagree with the sentiments above, but for the sake of reporting all sides...]
I must not be looking at things the right way. What I see is vacant houses, honest people looking for work in vain, corporate profits soaring and bonuses going to fat-cat screw ups who drive expensive cars on roads they won't pay for.

02-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #8

I don't know, Nesster, may be you are seeing that, but to me it looks like you're barking up the wrong tree. All this competing against the fat cat government - where do you get this nonsense? With 20% underemployed you see much competition?
We could be producing millions of jobs right now by reducing the demand gap. Firms are sitting on their cash and not hiring because they are not seeings uptick in demand (although it is improving gradually). Put money into people's pockets.
02-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The Obama "$timulu$" caused the unemployment problem and postponed recovery. Firms are sitting on cash because Obamacare and and the uncertanity of Liberal Tax and Spend (and Regulate) impact on the future. Economic activity became even more dependent on government largesse at the expense of private enterprise.

Investment is going to fund the government debt, rather than business expansion. By removing the outsize defecits we remove the pressure of so much government debt on the market, and money will flow into productive business.

We fix the demand gap by permanently lowering all taxes, including the Death Tax.

[again, management does not endorse the above opinion, but is having fun]
02-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #10

The Obama "$timulu$" caused the unemployment problem and postponed recovery. Firms are sitting on cash because Obamacare and and the uncertanity of Liberal Tax and Spend (and Regulate) impact on the future. Economic activity became even more dependent on government largesse at the expense of private enterprise.

Investment is going to fund the government debt, rather than business expansion. By removing the outsize defecits we remove the pressure of so much government debt on the market, and money will flow into productive business.

We fix the demand gap by permanently lowering all taxes, including the Death Tax.

[again, management does not endorse the above opinion, but is having fun]
Ahh, Nesster, you got me there

Obamacare and unemployment - how about ROW (rest of the world) - their unemployment problems are also due to Obamacare?
Investment is going to fund the government debt: I don't even understand what this means exactly. But this might (or might not) help:
Misinterpreting the Sectoral Balances heteconomist.com
We fix the demand gap by permanently lowering all taxes, including the Death Tax - I would agree that tax relief is needed at this point. With the provision that in the future the taxes might need to go up to dampen the aggregate demand. Then let's talk how to make the taxes more equitable.

In the end we believe what we want to believe.
Cheers.
02-14-2011, 12:25 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Aw.....that's just part of the job displacement marketing program.

Record corporate profits ( in the middle of a recession ), beg the magical mystical "hand" of the "free market" to show itself.

Perhaps it's an undeclared religion and that's why they refuse to pay their taxes?
02-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Firing all the law enforcement officers, soldiers, social workers, ,food inspectors etc will not take the uncertainty away from corporations. The quickest was to do so is to remove ALL regulations upon corporations; environmental, health, safety and make them except from law suits and from criminal charges. Only the market place should apply to them, if their product is not safe for the consumer or hurts others, people can choose not to buy it. If they buy it then they are agreeing that the corporation can do what they are doing. If you get rid of all regulations and lay off enough government workers it will only be a matter of time when you can eliminate all corporate income tax and after that unemployment will be a thing of the past

It is time for corporations to stop being the victims of unions and regulations!
02-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
It is time for corporations to stop being the victims of unions and regulations!
02-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Firing all the law enforcement officers, soldiers, social workers, ,food inspectors etc will not take the uncertainty away from corporations. The quickest was to do so is to remove ALL regulations upon corporations; environmental, health, safety and make them except from law suits and from criminal charges. Only the market place should apply to them, if their product is not safe for the consumer or hurts others, people can choose not to buy it. If they buy it then they are agreeing that the corporation can do what they are doing. If you get rid of all regulations and lay off enough government workers it will only be a matter of time when you can eliminate all corporate income tax and after that unemployment will be a thing of the past

What part of RECORD profits did you have problem with?
You paid for it.

Remember. You're not paying more. You're getting less.
02-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skyredoubt Quote
Ahh, Nesster, you got me there
Me too, I thought he'd finally lost it altogether.