Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I'd wager we have our share of former "A/V Squad" members here at Pentaxforums...

Chris
It would be a safe bet i was one
Ran the darkroom too

02-22-2011, 10:27 PM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I'd wager we have our share of former "A/V Squad" members here at Pentaxforums...

Chris
Hah Hah!

I was for one hour - I forgot to hold down the little lever that ran the film up onto the take-up reel.

That was that.

So I played football instead.

Without pads.
02-22-2011, 10:59 PM - 2 Likes   #78
Veteran Member

Tommy Strake was a trapper.
In the little town where I grew up back in the ‘50s, most everyone fished or hunted for sport, and many did both. But Tommy actually made his living off the land, I think.
There were a lot of rumors about Tommy, some of them told to me by my mother in the same tone she used about bats getting tangled in my hair if I stayed out past dark.
Most people avoided him, which I think he preferred, but he was a source of great wonder and curiosity to a youngster who loved everything about the outdoors and considered a trapper to be the kind of man that inspired Zane Gray and Jack London and Ernest Hemingway to write so well.
Tommy was a wiry and wrinkled guy with a voice that sounded like he tuned it with a wood rasp. A cigarette always dangled from his lip, and everybody knew he made whisky somewhere. All of his movements were slow and deliberate, even kind of graceful, and he had a hardy laugh that came suddenly and spontaneously from deep inside and reverberated through those tortured tonsils.
He lived not far from me, down an alley that I often took as a shortcut to Ronnie Tebbe’s house. I was on my way over there one day to check on some baby ground hogs we had captured and tried to raise.
The entrance to Tommy’s shed faced that alley. He never used it for his truck, and there was much speculation about what was in there, because usually it was locked tight. But this day the swinging doors were open wide. I just had to take a look.
I eased around the edge of the door, and there he stood, looking back at me. Startled, I ducked behind the door.
"Hey young feller," he said with that booming voice and a big belly laugh. "Don’t hide behind the door. Com’on in here and say howdy."
I eased back around the door, and his weather-beaten face greeted me with a big grin. He held a broken steel trap in a bony hand that had two badly bent fingers. The walls of his shed were lined with dried hides stretched on wire forms that he was holding onto until "the market got right." Piles of steel traps hung in clusters in one corner, next to hip boot and chest waders. A long work bench was cluttered with various tools, coffee cans with spare parts and jars of putrid liquid.
I had a thousand questions, and he answered every one. I felt the luxurious fur of muskrats, minks, foxes, raccoons and even a coyote, which everyone said back then only existed out west. He showed me how the various traps worked and with a grin even let me smell the "natural allure" he used to cover his tracks and attract the various animals.
Tommy always wore a sly grin and had lots of stories about outdoor adventures that were so fantastic all I could reply was "wow," which also made him smile.
"Could I go trappin’ with you sometime?" I asked.
"Well, its pretty rough business," he said. "But I’ll tell you what. I’ll let you tag along on some coon hunts this fall."
I spent the rest of the summer trying not only to get my mother to let me stay out after dark, but to go coon hunting with the notorious Tommy Starke. Finally she paid him a visit. I don’t know what was said, but after that she gave me permission, along with a bunch of stipulations and precautions. I don’t remember what they were–I was excited and just agreed to everything.
Come to think of it, one of them might have been to not climb any trees.
Tommy stopped his old truck along a bottomland field and let three eager hounds out on a moonless night. They took off into the woods and before long let out a mournful bay that still pleases me today, though I have no desire to hunt raccoons anymore.
"They’re treed," he yelled, and we ran though the woods, carbide lamps hissing and tree branches whipping in my face.
Unfortunately, this coon had climbed a large evergreen. Tommy walked all around the tree, shining a flashlight, while the hounds went crazy with excitement. It was contagious.
"I can’t get a clear shot," Tommy shouted over the dogs.
I must have gone crazy, too. "I’ll climb up there. That’ll probably make him move into the open where you can get a shot," I said.
After some discussion, he decided to let me try. "But be careful," he said.
Climbing trees was nothing for me. I traded my carbide lamp for the flashlight and started to climb. Every few branches, however, I would stop and pull the flashlight from my hip pocket to shine it around. Tommy had warned me that coons can get pretty mean.
After doing this a few times, I was three-quarters of the way up the tree, and when I switched on the flashlight again the biggest coon I’d ever seen was staring back at me–hissing like a demon.
"Are you alright, boy?" Tommy yelled.
The coon was so close, that even though my arm was bent, the flashlight was close to its face. Without thinking, and as fast as I’ve ever done anything, I punched the flashlight forward, straight into the animal’s snout, before Tommy even got all of "are you alright, boy" out.
It tumbled and crashed though the branches, right on top of the dogs, creating a ruckus I haven’t heard matched since.
I wrapped my arms around the tree and held on for dear life. I was pale and weak, but I didn’t want to let Tommy know the ordeal had scared the wits out of me.
He and the dogs were way too busy to notice. After a tornado of a battle that went all the way around the tree, they subdued the raccoon, but not before it left the two blue tick hounds with deep gashes, and the black-and-tan limping so badly he didn’t hunt again for weeks.
"You can come on down now," he said.
"Well, I thought maybe you wanted me to look around up here some more in case there was another one." That lie came almost as quickly as the flashlight punch.
When I reached the ground, Tommy patted me on the back with a big laugh and said: "You sure are a scrapper, boy."
I never climbed a tree again, but I’ll never forget old Tommy Strake.
He was a trapper.
02-23-2011, 06:51 AM   #79
Veteran Member

great story Ron

02-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Thanks Eddie. I had a great outdoor childhood, filled with freedom and adventure, but a terrible indoor childhood. It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.
02-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Great story Ron! Pleasure to read.
02-23-2011, 08:05 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Funny how it's always the interesting people those 'rumors' get started about.

02-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
I never climbed a tree again, but I’ll never forget old Tommy Strake.
He was a trapper.
Reminiscent of "Where the Red Fern Grows," which story made my man's man of a son cry when he was 10 or 11.
02-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #84
Veteran Member

I'm glad some of you enjoyed my story. It is 100 percent true. Here's another typical of kids in the 50s, at least rural kids.
Groundhogs were thick back in the 1950s. We hunted them back then–even barbecued a few.
Ronnie Tebbe and I hunted them more than most. Of course, we were always hunting something, building something, or planning something grand, which made our mothers nervous and our neighbors cautious.
Ronnie had most of the bright ideas. In fact, he usually announced them by exclaiming with his eyes widened and his voice elevated: "Hey, I’ve got a bright idea."
We weren’t even teenagers yet, but we were always looking for ways to make a little money. Most of these grand schemes centered around outdoor pursuits, but they never produced much beyond the price of more shells.
Groundhog hunting along the Shoal Creek Bottoms, however, was most lucrative.
Shoal Creek was a flat-land drainage that jumped its banks with a muddy torrent every time a few drops of rain fell. Along portions of it, however, farmers had hired bulldozers to build long, high levees. These were expensive projects, but the fields they protected contained rich, dark soil that had washed in over the ages. They were some of the most fertile fields in the county.
Unfortunately for the farmers, and fortunately for us, groundhogs loved these earthen levees. Burrowing was a breeze, and the fertile fields made them fat and prolific. The problem was that the burrows eventually caused leaks. A farmer could loose an entire crop to groundhog excavations, so they were willing to do almost anything to get rid of them, including letting a couple of wide-eyed kids hunt them.
Much to my surprise, Ronnie convinced one of these farmers to pay us 25 cents for every groundhog we could collect. This was back when candy cost a penny and a bottle of Coke cost a nickle. We were nearly rich after the first day of hunting.
"I’ve got to hand it to you," I told him. "This was a bright idea."
A couple of weeks later the rains came and the creek rose high behind the levee. As soon as the weather cleared we hid in a blind we had made from cut branches and waited for a groundhog or two to appear. By then we had thinned the population considerably, but we were still making good money.
I was wondering what caviar might taste like, when all of a sudden Ronnie’s eyes got wide and he said: "I’ve got a bright idea. We can get a couple of buckets and drown ‘em out."
"Lower your voice, will ‘ya. You’ll scare the groundhogs."
"It ‘ll be easy," he exclaimed. "The water’s close. In no time we’ll have more groundhogs than we could get all summer."
We hid our guns in some brush, jumped on our bikes and sped back to town.
After hauling and pouring dozens of buckets full down a burrow, I was beginning to tire and to think this wasn’t such a bright idea. Then the first groundhog popped out, looking like a giant drowned rat. Then another.
Then something happened that eventually put an end to our groundhog hunting careers.
Baby groundhogs started pouring out of the hole. We weren’t expecting this. Up close, a full-grown groundhog looks menacing, but these babies were helpless–even a little cute. So we simply caught them alive and put them in the buckets.
"Do you think the farmer will pay a quarter for the babies, too," I asked.
"Hey, I’ve got a bright idea," Ronnie said.
"Now what?"
"We’ll take ‘em home and raise ‘em. We’ll breed ‘em. You know yourself that the groundhogs is startin’ to run out ‘round here."
He quickly counted the contents of the buckets. "These two made nine. If these nine make nine, that’ll be...well, it’ll be a bunch. All we have to do is shoot some of ‘em when they grow up, take ‘em to the farmer and tell him we killed ‘em on the levee. It’ll be like a gold mine that keeps growin’."
Something bothered me about the idea, but Ronnie always presented his brainstorms with contagious enthusiasm. He was an adolescent entrepreneur, and if Nam hadn’t claimed him, there’s no telling what company he’d be running today.
We both had some old rabbit hutches (another bright idea) that we now used as groundhog hutches.
Within a week, all of our brood stock died, except one. They just wouldn’t eat, except for the one I called Max. He not only ate well, I got the impression he’d like to eat me.
I’d lay by his coup and talk softly to him, trying to make friends with carrots and apples that I’d poke through the chicken wire. He would seem totally unconcerned. Then all of a sudden he would lunge for the carrot and my fingers.
Max was fearless and ferocious–more like a bull than a "little pig of the woods." He grew fast, but with each ounce he seemed to become more possessed by some evil force straight out of Tasmania.
Early that fall, as I was walking home from school, I heard the neighbor lady scream and saw her running for the house with Max on her heals.
I grabbed one of my mother’s cloths line poles and went after him. At first it didn’t take any prodding. As soon as I got anywhere near him, Max would rear up on his hind legs and charge me, hissing like a demon. I don’t know why they do this, except that it makes them look bigger and meaner. But they can’t run very fast on their hind legs, and it was easy to stay ahead of him while at the same time leading him toward home.
A few prods and sprints later, I had him in front of the hutch and used the pole to push him back into it. I slammed the door, patched the hole and reinforced the whole thing.
A few days later, however, he got out again. This time Max scared the wits out of another neighbor lady while she was hanging out cloths. She called the police, and when I got home from school the Sheriff was sitting at the kitchen table drinking sun tea with my mother.
I could see right away that they had formed a committee, and they informed me that I had to do something about Max.
I didn’t really feel like shooting him as they suggested, so I stuffed him into a gunny sack, tied it to my handle bars and dumped him in the country about mile out of town.
The next day at school, Ronnie came rushing up with his eyes bugging out. "I’ve got a bright idea," he exclaimed.
02-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
....step through scooters were $250 new and could readily be found for under $100 used.
I had a Vespa and my buddy next door had a red Cushman. Those were the days.