Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Money won't buy health insurance

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/20/opinion/20Dubinsky.html?_r=1&src=me

Ironic.......
QuoteQuote:
An insurance broker helped me sort through the options. I settled on a high-deductible plan, and filled out the long application. I diligently listed the various minor complaints for which we had been seen over the years, knowing that these might turn up later and be a basis for revoking coverage if they were not disclosed.

Then the first letter arrived — denied. It never occurred to me that we would be denied! Yes, we had listed a bunch of minor ailments, but nothing serious. No cancer, no chronic diseases like asthma or diabetes, no hospital stays.

Why were we denied? What were these pre-existing conditions that put us into high-risk categories? For me, it was a corn on my toe for which my podiatrist had recommended an in-office procedure. My daughter was denied because she takes regular medication for a common teenage issue. My husband was denied because his ophthalmologist had identified a slow-growing cataract. Basically, if there is any possible procedure in your future, insurers will deny you.

The broker then proposed that the three of us make individual applications. Perhaps one or two of us might be accepted, rather than the family as a group.

As I filled out more applications, I discovered a critical error in my strategy. The first question was “Have you ever been denied health insurance”? Now my answer was yes, giving the new companies reason to be wary of my application. I learned too late that the best tactic is to apply simultaneously to as many companies as possible, so that you don’t have to admit to a denial.

I completed four applications for each of the three of us, using reams of paper. I learned to read the questions carefully. I mulled over the difference between a “condition” and “something for which you have sought treatment.” I was precise and succinct. I felt as if I was doing a deposition: Give the minimum true information, and not a word more. I was accepted by exactly one insurance company. So was my daughter, although at a 50 percent premium over the standard charge for a girl her age. My husband was also accepted by one insurer but was denied by the company that approved me.

Our premiums, which were reasonable at first, have increased substantially over the last six years; the average annual increase has been 20 percent. I now am paying premiums that are more than double what they were initially. And because these are high-deductible policies, we still are paying most of the medical bills ourselves.

The new health care reform legislation is not perfect. Nothing that complex could be. But I have no doubt that the system is broken and reform is absolutely essential.

02-20-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wallstreet made some more money.

They can always negotiate with their individual bosses for a raise.
Being the "compassionate conservative" that he simple must be, he'll give them a 25% raise to help them cover it.........right?
------------------Not a chance in hell!-------------------------

Just another reason we need more unions.
02-21-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I read that too - and I love the idea of eliminating the health benefit from our elected officials, let them find their own insurance... after all, their term in office should make them temp workers