Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First Barbary War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Only, all the nations affected join in to continuously harass piracy and change the risk/reward calculation.

02-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Even so, most captives were pressed into hard labor in the service of the Barbary pirates, and struggled under extremely poor conditions that exposed them to vermin, disease, and Muslims.
?????
02-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Rescue operations on hijacked ships are rare, with countries often deciding against such attempts over concerns for the safety of the crew. Most shipping companies, in turn, opt to pay the expensive ransoms demanded by Somali pirates to release hijacked ships rather than engage in confrontations.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/22/world/asia/22pirates.html?_r=1

Again this is simply stopping one set of pirates.The only way to prevent pirates from acting in general off the east coast of Africa is a systematic extermination of any and all boats that come off of the African coastline before they have the chance to attack a ship at sea. Do you think any nation will do this? Do you know of any other way to discourage pirating ? I am not advocating this but I don't see any other means of preventing the act and don't give me the old if the people had a better life then they wouldn't have to do this so we need to go to Africa to help them point of view.

According to IMB, hijackings off the coast of Somalia accounted for 92% of all ship seizures last year with 49 vessels hijacked and 1,016 crew members taken hostage. A total of 28 vessels and 638 hostages were still being held for ransom by Somali pirates as of 31 December 2010.
But Somali pirates are travelling further afield. In December 2010, they reached as far south as the Mozambique Channel and as far east as 72° East longitude in the Indian Ocean, an operating range IMB says is unprecedented.

Last edited by gokenin; 02-22-2011 at 12:26 PM.
02-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #19
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
Not making any judgments here, but you might want to edit the title of that link.

homerdoh

Last edited by Parallax; 02-22-2011 at 12:42 PM.
02-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Not making any judgments here, but you might want to edit the title of that link.

:homerdoh:
I just saw that but when you click the link it actually takes you to the article from the international chamber of commerce I don't know why the link shows as that have taken it off my original post.

http://www.icc-ccs.org/

this is the main page maybe it works better

Last edited by Parallax; 02-22-2011 at 12:38 PM.
02-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #21
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Fixed it for ya so it points to the article.

EDIT: Mystery solved. I tried it as a drag-and-drop from the address bar to a text box and got the same thing you did.
I would use copy-and-paste from now on.

Last edited by Parallax; 02-22-2011 at 12:46 PM.
02-22-2011, 02:51 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnInIndy Quote
Maybe it's about time we just started kicking butt. Kill these animals before they ever have a chance to harm another person.
OK, just let us know when you are ready to start. You are leading this "kick butt" team, right? Oh, you're not? Thought so.

02-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Since it's well known that certain parts of the ocean are more prone to piracy than others, why are countries not arming their ships?
Surely a few machine cannons or whatever passes for medium duty ordinance could take out a pirate ship while it was still not a danger.
02-23-2011, 06:45 AM   #24

Did you happen to notice that the bad guys fired an RPG at the approaching American warship. If these knuckleheads are willing to take on a warship...It is entirely likely four seniors out traveling on a yacht probably do NOT have access to those kinds of weapons. Start shooting at them with rifles, they will probably respond with RPG's--not much future in that encounter!
02-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clmonk Quote
Did you happen to notice that the bad guys fired an RPG at the approaching American warship. If these knuckleheads are willing to take on a warship...It is entirely likely four seniors out traveling on a yacht probably do NOT have access to those kinds of weapons. Start shooting at them with rifles, they will probably respond with RPG's--not much future in that encounter!
There is, apparently, not much future in not fighting back, either.
I mean for fraks sake, we were running supply ships from North America to Britain during WWII and most were making it through.
Go back to armed convoys and blow anything up that even remotely looks like it might be a pirate vessel.
They might whack a few honest fishermen, but stuff happens every day. They could as easily drown in a storm.
02-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
o back to armed convoys and blow anything up that even remotely looks like it might be a pirate vessel.
You know, I don't often agree with you, but on this we see eye to eye...

As far as I am concerned any time a pirate kills a hostage, he should know his life is forfeit. He'll be tracked down without mercy and he and everyone around him will be killed. And any boat that looks like pirates, sounds like pirates and smells like pirates should be blown up on the spot. I'm not very nice? Well, neither are the pirates.

Pat
02-24-2011, 09:38 AM   #27
Veteran Member

How about an international effort -- something along these lines:

London insurers' private fleet to fight Somali pirates | The Australian
02-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Aside from the lack luster ongoing fooling around with these 'pirates' aka killers WTH were these nit wits doing sailing a yacht in the area anyway? They (most unfortunatly) asked for it. A boat load of english bibles won't get you very far in those areas of the world. I resent the US Navy has to respond to the incident and risk our people in the process much less the cost of screwing with them. This was a descretionary pleasure cruise remember. They boat owners are/were local here an a bit was in the local news. A few home church members stated that the owner was a very knowledgeable, and skilled sailor. Go figure.

I undersatand the 'pirates' have about 1,200 or so sailors in hostage along with a good size stolen commercial fleet of ships.

Is the UN brain dead on this?
02-24-2011, 09:55 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds good.
As long as the insurance corporations pay for it.
02-24-2011, 11:03 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
Sounds good.
As long as the insurance corporations pay for it.
Ah-ha........ somebody who wants a no-cost (to him) solution to murder and mayhem on the high seas.

Incidentally - where do you think the Insurance Companies get their funding from?