02-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OIC

You want a tax hike.

Make us little people pay?

02-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #32
Veteran Member

A tax hike wouldn't be needed if some discretionary funding in the budget were redirected.
02-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #33
Banned

It looks like the four retired people were clueless by sailing into pirate-infested waters. I think there needs to be a notice to all Americans planning trips like this that you do this at your own risk. Same goes for the idiots that go hiking in Iran.
02-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
It looks like the four retired people were clueless by sailing into pirate-infested waters. I think there needs to be a notice to all Americans planning trips like this that you do this at your own risk. Same goes for the idiots that go hiking in Iran.
I agree but in their defense the waters are not exactly infested and they are known to range out to 1400 miles from the coast so thats a heck of a lot of ocean to have to avoid.

02-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The good guys worry about world opinion , the pirates don't! A friend's daughter just got back from a tour on a destroyer over there and said that opportunities to stop pirates are missed due to orders based on political opinion.
02-25-2011, 10:43 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
A friend's daughter just got back from a tour on a destroyer over there and said that opportunities to stop pirates are missed due to orders based on political opinion.
You know it's funny you would say that... my neighbors son recently came back from a tour in that area on a Canadian Navy warship and he said the exact same thing.

He said they intercepted tons of pirates but it was just like a fishing show on TV... catch and release, catch and release...

Pat
02-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
You know it's funny you would say that... my neighbors son recently came back from a tour in that area on a Canadian Navy warship and he said the exact same thing.

He said they intercepted tons of pirates but it was just like a fishing show on TV... catch and release, catch and release...

Pat
Catch and release is fine, but sink their vessel before letting them go. They can think about the perils of piracy while they are swimming home.

02-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Somali pirates killings: Was rescue mission botched? | Mail Online
02-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #39
Veteran Member

So what's your point Jeff?
How should it have been handled?
02-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
People are complaining about something about ideology, when the *fact* is the Navy had clearance to fire at will, if that was what their discretion called for, and, it turns out, they were *actually* in the process of storming that craft because the pirates had launched an RPG.
02-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #41
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Ken, don't you jump in here and start stirring things up by blaming those poor, unfortunate, misguided pirates for what the Navy did!
02-25-2011, 12:43 PM   #42
Veteran Member

My "opinion"???? They KNEW they were taking a risk and chose to do it... I'm sad for them (don't like anyone being murdered) but have joined the "so be it" crowd on this one............
QuoteQuote:
According to Mr and Mrs Adam's family, the couple, who had three children between them, were well aware of the risks their trip could entail.
so they knew they weren't sailing off the coast of FLA........
I do assume 'loss of life" was probably not on their mind but probably should have been............
Do "authorities" make mistakes sometimes?? Think we both know the answer to that question. Not really smart keeping 2 "pirates" who came on board to negotiate "hostage"...... Pirates... not known for intelligence either. Dead hostages buy little...... IF your honest, there whole "sthick" is cash, no political agenda, no holy war.. just cash..... just "stuff"........
Man we love are stuff......................
As a "prudent" man my little pontoon is not going to be by Somalia any time soon..........
Obviously the 4 didn't deserve their fate and I doubt if murder was the intention of the pirates but in the "big picture" I have little concern for the ins. payouts to pirates......
hopefully this doesn't sound callous because it's not meant to be......