Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2011, 08:09 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Kx: Cheaper, smaller scopes simply don't gather light very well, nor are the optics very clear, and the wider field makes it harder to center the cross-hairs on small game. The larger you can make the target in the frame, and the clearer you can see it, the more accurate you will be. 6X is about right for a squirrel, for example, at 30-40 yards. Any closer you can crank it down to 3X. At 9X you can test your skills at 75-100 yards, which is nearly impossible with standard 4X "squirrel scopes." It's really the same thing as long range shooting with a .308, except on a shorter scale.
Whether you are at 3X or 9X, a good scope will be zeroed in, but you do have to compensate for bullet drop, even with high-volocity LR ammo. Run a box or two through at the range, zeroing in at 25-35 yards, then shoot at 50, 75 and 100 to gauge bullet drop. If you use good scope mounts and rings, it will stay zeroed in, unless you bump it hard. It's always a good idea, nonetheless, to check your zero point occasionally, and especially if you start missing.
You'll not only be much more accurate, you'll enjoy using your .22 much more if you put the time in at the range (a real range) and mount a big-game scope on it.

03-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
Kx: Cheaper, smaller scopes simply don't gather light very well, nor are the optics very clear, and the wider field makes it harder to center the cross-hairs on small game. The larger you can make the target in the frame, and the clearer you can see it, the more accurate you will be. 6X is about right for a squirrel, for example, at 30-40 yards. Any closer you can crank it down to 3X. At 9X you can test your skills at 75-100 yards, which is nearly impossible with standard 4X "squirrel scopes." It's really the same thing as long range shooting with a .308, except on a shorter scale.
Whether you are at 3X or 9X, a good scope will be zeroed in, but you do have to compensate for bullet drop, even with high-volocity LR ammo. Run a box or two through at the range, zeroing in at 25-35 yards, then shoot at 50, 75 and 100 to gauge bullet drop. If you use good scope mounts and rings, it will stay zeroed in, unless you bump it hard. It's always a good idea, nonetheless, to check your zero point occasionally, and especially if you start missing.
You'll not only be much more accurate, you'll enjoy using your .22 much more if you put the time in at the range (a real range) and mount a big-game scope on it.
Thanks for the advice but I do not plan on shooting any small game with my .22 lr at all, just tin can and paper range and that is why I was considering the 1x red dot. The .308 would be for medium/somewhat big game such as deer or elk and that is why I was considering a 3-9x for my .308.

I actually found a 3-9x scope / 1x Red Dot combo from NCStar. I have read that company is decent for the $ ($160 for that combo) so I think I am going to give them a try. I also have 30 days to get a full refund if I do not like it.
03-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As far as red dot sights go, i still have my AIMPOINT 1000 from mid 80`s.
Used it on my .20cal air rifle and my .223 with good results.
All products

05-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have one of the new Pentax Gameseeker II scopes on a Savage .243 (a necked down .308 cartrige). It is the 4x-16x 50mm Matte Precision Plex and it is VERY pleasing overall. Super in low light because of the large front glass, nicely thought out reticle is pretty much geared for your .308 and deer hunting - particularly if you set it at 6x and just leave it there. You can easily use the BDC reticle for range estimation and drop.

Braggin' Time:
Replacing the package scope on my rifle saw my groups come down from 3" at 200 yards to just over 1" at 200 yards. Took my time for one five shot group and got them all within a quarter-sized cicle at 200 yards - including a cold bore shot. That less than 1/2 MOA (Minute of Angle) from a mass-produced rifle. Almost unheard-of.

The warranty is stunning too. Just ship it back to Pentax with $19.95 for return freight and you get a fixed scope or new replacement - FOR LIFE !!! Freakin' amazing package.

Downsides:

The reticle lines are a bit thick for my liking. I enjoy a very fine cross-hair for targeting, especially at ranges over 400 yards. Not an issue for hunting - which is what the 'GamesSeeker II' is built for.

Other scopes to consider if you're on a budget:

Nikon. They're making a really nice BuckMaster 3x9-40mm scope now. The BDC reticle is not my cup of tea, but it seems to work well. The BDC reticle, again, has lines heavier than I like to see in front of a target.

Even better and a solid bet is the Nikon Monarch series. I haven't tried them all, but every one I've shot with has been solid. Period.

That's the limit of what I can suggest. The others I've tried have been horrid with reticles that bounce arround the tube like ping-pong balls. I won't suggest anything for hunting that may be a hit-or-miss deal because it's just too important to not know where the bullet will fly.

Last edited by TourDeForce; 05-24-2011 at 01:44 PM.
05-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Student Quote
They make rifle scopes?

The horror. The horror. (Marlon Brando voice)

laugh

sarcasm