Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Rifle Scope?

Can anyone recommend a good Pentax rifle scope? Preferably from personal use. I just got a rifle and now am looking for a scope. It's not a long range rifle so I would prefer something in the 1-4x range, water and fog proof, and (not sure if they even make this) but a Red Dot or Holographic site.

02-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
Inactive Account

They make rifle scopes?
02-24-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
They certainly do.
02-25-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax makes (excuse the phrase...) KILLER rifle scopes. I've had a couple (none currently though) over the years and I don't think there is a single one that I would not be proud to have on a rifle. Just look on their site for one appropriate to the caliber of your rifle.

02-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Pentax's current generation of rifle scopes are mediocre at best.

For a 1-4x, they have nothing good. What kind of rifle? Are you looking for a true 1x to 4x like on a 3-gun setup? There are a ton out there of varying quality depending on your budget.
02-25-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian

From what I know of these things, I don't think they make the type of sight you're looking for, is all. I believe those aren't so much about being lens-makers as precision electronics.

I'd probably consult gun-nerds on this one.
02-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would check out Leupold scopes too.
02-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Actually I am looking for 2 scopes. One is for a MP5 clone .22 lr. That scope will probably be the 1-4x red dot. The other will probably be something more powerful. It'll be for a Remington .308. I have searched for days on end with no clear conclusion as to which brand and what features. This will probably be a long decision.

02-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
I keep seeing that name pop up. I'll give them a further look, thanks.
02-25-2011, 02:07 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax and Burris scopes

I haven't bought a rifle scope in quite a few years because the ones I have how have been performing fine.

At one time, Pentax scopes were practically identical to those made by Burris in Colorado. I don't know if this is still the case or not. I do know that since Don Burris passed away the company has been acquired by the Berretta conglomerage. Production of many of the scopes with the Burris name on them has moved off shore...to the Phillipines, I believe. I don't know about the quality of these but I can tell you that my US made Burrris scopes have been just about perfect.

Sig

Last edited by Sigmoid; 02-25-2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: fixed typo
02-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Buying scopes is a lot like buying lenses: you get what you pay for. Burris, Leupold, Redfield, Pentax, Zeiss, etc. all make excellent scopes.
From a lifetime of hunting, the only thing I would caution is your approach to a .22 scope. I have a Wetherby .22 I use a lot, and a long time ago, I started using good 3X9 rifles scopes on it, most of the time at 6 power. Big game scopes have larger optics and gather much more light.
I have no personal experience with Pentax scopes, but their claim to fame is in optics, so I'll bet they are great. I'd like to have one some day.
02-25-2011, 05:00 PM   #12
Banned

SWFA Pentax Rifle Scopes
02-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Leupold makes very fine scopes. Unfortunately they are overpriced. They offer in-house customization, something most of the other makers do not. However, Nikon, Pentax, and Bushnell offer scopes that optically equal or better Leupold for a better price point. If you got the bucks one of my favorites is Zeiss and you can even go higher up the scale. I own a 4x16x50 Pentax Lightseeker which does a great job. There are many more out there. Natchez Shooters Supplies and Opticsplanet have great prices and carry most of the brands.
02-26-2011, 12:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Ahab gives the best advice: Natchez Shooters Supplies and Opticsplanet have great prices and carry most of the brands.
I've found some simply amazing prices for referbished scopes through Natchez. This way you can get a prefectly good, high-dollar scope for the price of a Tasco.
02-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
From a lifetime of hunting, the only thing I would caution is your approach to a .22 scope. I have a Wetherby .22 I use a lot, and a long time ago, I started using good 3X9 rifles scopes on it, most of the time at 6 power. Big game scopes have larger optics and gather much more light.

Are you saying I should not get a 1x Red Dot for my .22 LR? In your experience, at 6x are you still zeroed in? How about after months of use, are you still zeroed in then? I was just thinking that a .22 LR would not benefit too much from magnified optics and therefore would go with a 1x and save the 3-9x for the .308.