Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2011, 05:50 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
Thank you for your response.

Do feel that renters should be banned from voting?
I already answered on the first page that the guy was an idiot for even mentioning it.

Although the idea of someone being vested in an area in order to vote there has its merits I don't think it should be limited to property owners. I guess my major objection to being vested falls into the who can run for office really I don't really think that someone who "lives" somewhere for a few months is really qualified to represent that area or state to be honest. ( I know thats way off topic so you can disregard that is you want )

02-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #32
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In response to Judson Phillips I'd have to say, I'm a property owner of 3 properties yet I haven't the slightest interest in any who live in the local communities, no matter how vested I may be...

...great to hear I'll get to vote 3 times more than most of those others tho...
02-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
In response to Judson Phillips I'd have to say, I'm a property owner of 3 properties yet I haven't the slightest interest in any who live in the local communities, no matter how vested I may be...

...great to hear I'll get to vote 3 times more than most of those others tho...
And I thought I was the only slumlord here......
02-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Better yet?
Don't let voters rent!..........

02-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #35
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
And I thought I was the only slumlord here......
Not to fear, you still are. I'm talking about my primary home on LI, pied-a-terre for my wife in NYC, and vacant property.
02-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I appreciate the effort, Bill. I think we are still a bit farther up the ladder than Haiti, but it seems the politicians are greasing the rungs more and more every day.
That's where all that pork fat is going is it?
Jim, and this is the honest to God truth, as a neighbor I am honestly very concerned about the direction your country seems to be going.
I am seeing an increasingly angry and frustrated people becoming more and more polarized.
I'm seeing a country where ideology is becoming more important than reality.
I recall reading a story one time of two soldiers in the trenches in WWI.
A shell had just blown them open and they were standing there arguing about whose guts were whose.
I'm starting to see this story as a metaphor for what my neighbor is going through, with two implacable ideologies clashing, and the common good going to hell in a hand basket.
Of course, like the soldiers in the trench, it may be too late, even if you do learn to cooperate with each other.
02-27-2011, 09:54 PM   #37
Site Supporter

I hear you Wheat.
I've been trying to explain, that while we sit around and argue the fine points, we are FAST becoming a plutocracy.

Personally? I don't care how many rich people there are, or how rich.
I care about how many are becoming poor and frankly.......confused by the world around them.

2 very harsh and LONG wars aren't helping any. (Shades of the book 1984)
Seems they barely show up on the news anymore.

Now they have at each others throats over the left over scraps of dignity.

I say look beyond the politicians who seem to causing it and search for the people behind them.

Those are the plutocrats.

02-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #38
Inactive Account

We should take it a step further, don't let anyone with a mortgage vote either. Only those who own their house outright should be allowed to vote

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Any illusions left about this 'Tea Party's' real agenda?
No, I think it is just another case of taking a large decentralized movement and picking apart the lunatic fringe in an attempt to discredit the whole group. I am surprised that you would participate in such a tactic considering how it is used to attack LGBT rights by taking a few oddballs and trying to portray the whole community as depraved and immoral.
02-28-2011, 07:41 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
That's where all that pork fat is going is it?
Jim, and this is the honest to God truth, as a neighbor I am honestly very concerned about the direction your country seems to be going.
I am seeing an increasingly angry and frustrated people becoming more and more polarized.
I'm seeing a country where ideology is becoming more important than reality.
That has been the saddest development I have witnessed in my country. If someone formed a Pragmatist Party, I'd join.
02-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
We should take it a step further, don't let anyone with a mortgage vote either. Only those who own their house outright should be allowed to vote
That part's not something they'd need to codify, really, the way mortgage schemes have left the housing market. Why worry about mortgages when certain interests can decide who gets credit? (Or to own or keep their property, in the case of LGBT couples and families, in practice.

The corporate world has been one of rather-enforced rootlessness with people having to move all over (if they can) to chase jobs. Blaming some people for not having the 'foresight' to become 'invested' in a community based on who holds title is... The kind of pseudo-aristocratic attitude behind this 'Tea party.' Especially in the persons of who they *actually elect,* it's not 'populist,' it's just a fantasy of people being induced to vote against their own interests because they believe one day they'll be among those on top. Even if they spoil their own chances.

That's kind of the point, here, it's not that it was 'stupid of this guy to say,' ...it's that it reveals an attitude which is consistent with the policies and agendas of the Tea Party/GOP/Religious Right, but *not* with the expectations of those who expect 'freedom and small government via corporate friendly policies and conservative-activist social agendas.'

QuoteQuote:
No, I think it is just another case of taking a large decentralized movement and picking apart the lunatic fringe in an attempt to discredit the whole group. I am surprised that you would participate in such a tactic considering how it is used to attack LGBT rights by taking a few oddballs and trying to portray the whole community as depraved and immoral.
No, it's not about a 'lunatic fringe,' it's about who you *actually elect (and whose support you actually get: contrary to all claims, the Tea Party *is* heavily affiliated with the old Religious Right, just repackaged, and even more extreme GOP about social controls and regressive policies in favor of plutocratic elites. While it may not be what many claim to *want,* the people you've put in office display what you *really got.*

That includes electing people who claimed they *weren't* about 'attacking LGBT rights' and have spent a great deal of effort doing just that.

Don't look at *me* if you were taken in by that. I warned you. Among many, they're doing *exactly* what you refused to accept they were *saying* they'd do.

They win a few seats in Congress thanks to *progressives* being disillusioned, and decide it suddenly meant the 'will of the people' wasn't near 80 percent for immediate repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell, so they should froth hate and defamation to delay justice on that, before they even took office, ...all this, yes, to suit a 'lunatic fringe.' If that wasn't what you wanted, then talk to the people who claim to *represent* you, don't try to turn it around on *me.*

All that 'nice' rhetoric for the MSM (as opposed to what the same people promised the Religious Right) says they were really all about 'freedom, government accountability, and personal responsibility,' ....And if *that's* what you wanted, stop whining with false equivalencies about how 'oppressed' you feel by 'libruls,' and *take some.*

If you don't support the *actual homophobia and actual oppressive policies these guys are pushing in your name,* don't tell *me,* ...*tell them.*

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-28-2011 at 08:51 AM.
02-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #41
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
No, it's not about a 'lunatic fringe,' it's about who you *actually elect (and whose support you actually get: contrary to all claims, the Tea Party *is* heavily affiliated with the old Religious Right, just repackaged, and even more extreme GOP about social controls and regressive policies in favor of plutocratic elites. While it may not be what many claim to *want,* the people you've put in office display what you *really got.*
I just did a search for Judson Phillips and this guy isn't an elected official. He is not a congressmen, state rep, city council member, or even a dog catcher. He is the leader of a tea party group he started himself... I don't know how you could characterize him as an elected official or official spokesperson of an elected official.

This is just a shallow attempt to do a hatchet job by ascribing his bad idea to a larger community which he is member of to create a fallacious guilt by association link.
02-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I just did a search for Judson Phillips and this guy isn't an elected official. He is not a congressmen, state rep, city council member, or even a dog catcher. He is the leader of a tea party group he started himself... I don't know how you could characterize him as an elected official or official spokesperson of an elected official.

This is just a shallow attempt to do a hatchet job by ascribing his bad idea to a larger community which he is member of to create a fallacious guilt by association link.
He's hardly the only one. If you don't approve of him or other 'local Tea Party groups' (Like the whole actual platforms in Maine, Texas, etc) or those they elect that push the same agendas, *stop trying to cover for them and demand otherwise.* *You* might feel to have the luxury of denial on these things, but at the end of the day, *I don't.* And what's *really* been going on is something you apparently either couldn't be bothered to check out, or won't admit you really want.

Personal responsibility guy.
03-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #43
Veteran Member

We should take it a step further, don't let anyone with a mortgage vote either. Only those who own their house outright should be allowed to vote (
Works for me. I own mine free and clear (thanks to my wonderful public career).

Last edited by cardinal43; 03-01-2011 at 03:57 PM.
03-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
(
Actually, no one owns property. If you don't believe that, stop paying your property taxes and see what happens...
03-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #45
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Actually, no one owns property. If you don't believe that, stop paying your property taxes and see what happens...
Well that certainly made an impact on me!