Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2007, 02:03 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Most beautiful SLR.

Wow! This is the coolest camera, I've ever seen!
I hope, I'm not the only one who didn't know about such a bling-bling Pentax SLR!

Pentax LX Special GOLD Edition, 1981 -Gallery ONE

10-18-2007, 02:37 AM   #2

I don't think my budget would allow me to get that one
10-18-2007, 02:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skaktuss Quote
As a museum piece, perhaps, and as an extraordinary example of fabulous extravagance, without a doubt.

But for practical picture taking, no thanks, even if I could afford it.

Would anyone want to be labelled with what carrying one of those around would say about you?
10-18-2007, 03:26 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax LX is really nice camera but I don't think I would like to own the Gold Edition for everyday use. This model strikes me as being more of a collectors piece than anything else.

Interesting to note that only 300 were made and 200 of those went to the Japanese home market. Typical of the japanese to covet the best of their gear. They do this quite a lot with hifi as well.

10-18-2007, 04:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

They didn't muck about with the lens it came with either -- f1.2 is fast glass.

It really is a nice looking camera, if a tad blingy.
10-18-2007, 06:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Trawlerman I would appreciate it if you rewarded that second last sentence.. it could be interpreted as an ethnic slur and they are not welcome on this forum..
10-18-2007, 06:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Nah, think that's taking it a bit far just an observation.
QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote
Typical of the japs to covet the best of their gear. They do this quite a lot with hifi as well.
And their cars!!

10-18-2007, 07:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
Trawlerman I would appreciate it if you rewarded that second last sentence.. it could be interpreted as an ethnic slur and they are not welcome on this forum..
I think this takes political correctness too far.

"Jap" is an abbreviation of the word "Japanese".

Just as "Aussie" is an abbreviation of the word "Australian", and "Brit" is an abbreviation of the word "British".

Ethnic slurs take place when someone casts a slur upon someone's ethnicity.

Hopefully people here are adult enough to be able to tell the difference. Countries keeping the best of their produce for the home market is hardly unusual, or restricted to the Japanese, and pointing it out when it happens is not the same as racism.
10-18-2007, 08:08 AM   #9
VAV

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
As a museum piece, perhaps, and as an extraordinary example of fabulous extravagance, without a doubt.

But for practical picture taking, no thanks, even if I could afford it.

Would anyone want to be labelled with what carrying one of those around would say about you?
Agree with the above... I thought the 50th anniversary silver/black dslr with the takumar lens looks far more elegant .
10-18-2007, 10:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

"Jap" is an abbreviation of the word "Japanese".
Just as "Aussie" is an abbreviation of the word "Australian", and "Brit" is an abbreviation of the word "British".
Nope, there is a HUGE difference. It is an abbreviation alright, but the difference lies in how the term is used, or more importantly how it is interpreted.

QuoteQuote:
Ethnic slurs take place when someone casts a slur upon someone's ethnicity.
I am very certain that trawlerman had no such intention. But that's not important.
The most important thing is what Japanese people think of this term and how they would feel when they hear this term being used.

Though I cannot say this applies to ALL Japanese, but majority of Japanese (and Japanese Dictionaries) think of this term as derogatory (reference). So my advice is to refrain from using this term; think of this term in the same way as "N*gger" i.e. Don't Use!
10-18-2007, 10:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The term "Jap" is considered an ethnic slur and I find it offensive. I realize that in some English speaking countries the degree to which the term is found offensive differs, but this is a worldwide forum and we need to be respectful of everyone who uses the forum.

Jap - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
10-18-2007, 10:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Nope, there is a HUGE difference. It is an abbreviation alright, but the difference lies in how the term is used, or more importantly how it is interpreted.
Fair enough. I think it's ironic though, that if I innocently use the word as an abbreviation, and someone else interprets it in some dark way, that's me being potentially racist.

Welcome to the 21st century I guess. But neither I, nor anyone else here intended any slur, I'm sure. So please accept my apologies if any slur was taken to be implied.
10-18-2007, 11:11 AM   #13

Fair enough. I think it's ironic though, that if I innocently use the word as an abbreviation, and someone else interprets it in some dark way, that's me being potentially racist.

Welcome to the 21st century I guess. But neither I, nor anyone else here intended any slur, I'm sure. So please accept my apologies if any slur was taken to be implied.
To keep things brief, I think racism is the intent. People make mistakes, let's move on.

At least in the United States during the second World War, the abbreviation was used as a racial slur. Maybe this wasn't used in that way in England? That's one of the consequences of a war, there's a change in language to demonize "them."

Alex
10-18-2007, 05:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm sure no one here has intended to use the term as a slur. I can tell that it was only meant as an abbreviation and would only find it offensive if used in a derogatory way. I just don't think it's good practice to throw the word around that'll have different connotations to different people; especially since we have users from different parts of the world on here.
10-18-2007, 06:20 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by skaktuss Quote
I hope, I'm not the only one who didn't know about such a bling-bling Pentax SLR!

Pentax LX Special GOLD Edition, 1981 -Gallery ONE
It is opulent, extravagant and extremely excessive. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I think it is at best a museum piece and at worst an overdressed machine. I like the gold trim but the snake/croc skin is weird and trashy looking.
Underneath all that glitter beats the heart of a fine camera - a Pentax LX - that will doubtfully ever be used.
Closed Thread