Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Anyone else find the Oscars annoying?

I'm sorry, but James Franco did not bring much to this party--even in drag. Anne Hathaway did perky-cute for a night, but they didn't give her much to work with.

Where is Billy Crystal these days?

02-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Anyone else find the Oscars annoying?
Can't say I do. Haven't watched it in years. Found it annoying then though.

02-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I'm sorry, but James Franco did not bring much to this party--even in drag. Anne Hathaway did perky-cute for a night, but they didn't give her much to work with.

Where is Billy Crystal these days?
I felt the same. although the movie titles gave me a little bit of a laugh especially if you put some meaning into it. Rabbit's Hole, Winter's Bone, and who can forget "How to pet your Dragon" .

as far as Mr. Oscar (Crystal) is concerned, he had a little bit of a Bob Hope skit for about 3 minutes, but it was all worth it if you were going to compare the 2 hours we had to endure with the 2 co-hosts.

as far as the Awards are concerned, there was one major hiccup. Hans Zimmer's "Dream is Collapsing" (Inception) for Musical Score was definitely robbed by Facebook's popularity. one of the lamest musical score to have ever won in the Oscar's. what were the judges thinking?

Last edited by Pentaxor; 02-28-2011 at 05:05 PM.
02-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I felt the same. although the movie titles gave me a little bit of a laugh especially if you put some meaning into it. Rabbit's Hole, Winter's Bone, and who can forget "How to pet your Dragon" .

as far as Mr. Oscar (Crystal) is concerned, he had a little bit of a Bob Hope skit for about 3 minutes, but it was all worth it if you were going to compare the 2 hours we had to endure with the 2 co-hosts.

as far as the Awards are concerned, the was one major hiccup. Hans Zimmer's "Dream is Collapsing" (Inception) for Musical Score was definitely robbed by Facebook's popularity. one of the lamest musical score to have ever one in the Oscar's. what were the judges thinking?
Agree about the award for best musical score. There was not much to that score.

@Jeff--this was the first I watched in many years. It was the only thing that would not make either me or the Mrs. leave the room--for a little while.

02-28-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Not really. If you have basic cable, you have PBS channels and some other stuff that prattles on about them between weather reports, but it's been worse in the past.
02-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I did not watch cause I don't get the station/cable, but I would not anyway.

Did get some shots of the area the day before, though.
02-28-2011, 03:58 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

Ditto

02-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #8

Why do they not just put an announcement of the winners in the press? Save a lot of time and money
02-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #9
Banned

Conservatives hate the Oscars.
02-28-2011, 06:10 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
@Jeff--this was the first I watched in many years. It was the only thing that would not make either me or the Mrs. leave the room--for a little while.
That doesn't speak very highly of the other programming. To me these awards shows are a lot of overrated self important people slapping each other on the back. Show me something original and I may watch to see if it wins anything. The last Good (recent) movie I watched was Avatar. Even that had a tired theme to it. It isn't just Oscar I snub, it's all of them. I doubt they care though.

Back to your regular programming......

02-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

sad thing about the Oscars is that they mostly pay attention to films that were shown at the last quarter of the year. honestly speaking, it is not about the best films that are being nominated or selected but rather hype films of the year-end. as if Social Network being nominated for Best Picture isn't bad enough for a biopic crap of the Facebook founder and no different from Martha Stewart's tell-tale. heck, Wall Street 2 was more deserving of a nomination.
02-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Analog6 Quote
Ditto
ditto
02-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Generally a big yawn. I could handle only about 20 minutes and left the room. Hollyweed giving Hollyweed an atta boy is all. The annual life insurance and plumber's helper sales awards are about an equal. I only missed Charlie Sheen as an MC but he was busy taking inventory of his stable and maybe some artful Paris Hilton beaver shots on the red carpet. I thought for sure Bill Clinton and Rev Jesse Jackson might have a counseling booth set up in the Kodak foyer.

I can reccommend The Kings Speech as a good history based film. (X language)
Colin Firth was quite good in this and in the 1995 BBC series of Jane Austin's Pride and Predjudice.

Happy Netflix
02-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Absolutely disagree about best score. Hans Zimmer's score wasn't bad, for sure, but Trent Reznor's Social Network score was/is phenomenal. Obviously, it's no use arguing music because we'll never come to an agreement, but it's one soundtrack I'll be listening to for years. Can't say the same about the Inception soundtrack (I don't even own it :-P )

Also, Sarlette Johansson.
03-01-2011, 02:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I hate junk on tv. Never watched these yet not gonna start now in my old age.