Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Yes PayPal is wonderful, hits the seller with a hefty fee & also gets the buyer with a lower exchange rate & pockets the dirfference.

QuoteOriginally posted by kryss Quote
Your complaining about a negligible charge difference for exchange rate? when the aussie dollar is the highest it has been for decades.

03-02-2011, 03:50 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I'm not advocating one way or another on the use of the gift payment, but just to clarify, the fee is not paid on one side or another no matter how it's designated. In the case of a gift payment within the US, there is no fee for either side providing the funds come from a bank account (not a credit card).

*Gasp* She runs off to complain to Paypal. I sent my sister-in-law some money last week from my bank account as a gift. I want my 12.00 back. Thieving %!$#@.

Sigh, I'd still rather deal with paypal than the old Western Union, checks which bounce, or international bank transfers which in the US are more of a rip off. I did recheck their fees so I'm 'relatively confident' I'll get the money back.
03-02-2011, 04:09 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In practice the Paypal fees are not bad compared to other means of getting the money around. I wonder about not being able to explicitly include the costs as a matter of principle though; I seem to recall that EU has come to the conclusion that CC issuers cannot have a similar requirement in the seller contracts on competition grounds (?).
03-02-2011, 06:55 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
In practice the Paypal fees are not bad compared to other means of getting the money around.
And their fees on international exchanges are hardly exorbitant. When I first drove to Honduras, changing Guatemalan quetzales to Honduran lempiras or back, the itinerant moneychangers standing at the border took a 2% cut. Returning, I didn't change all remaining lempiras at the border -- then found that no bank nor exchange service in Guatemala nor Mexico would touch lempiras!

Note: I hated to touch lempiras too. Filthiest money I've ever encountered. In other nations, worn-out paper currency is withdrawn and discarded. In Honduras, it's used until it disintegrates. Don't try to launder it! But I digress...

I did manage to exchange those excess lempiras for USA dollars in Sacramento California, but once again, no bank would touch them. I had to go to a Thomas Cook travel office, and their cut was TEN PERCENT!! So nobody should bitch or whine about PayPal exchange fees. And don't handle any obscure currencies -- you may never get rid of them!