Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Paypal payment charges if getting money internationally.

Hi I have a listing at the marketplace. Right now, Im open to buyers in continental US. I have been getting a lot of request to ship it outside US. My question if a buyer pays thru paypal. Will I be charged if they sent the money as a gift?, or how much do they charge with international transactions?

02-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Usually if the money is sent via PayPal to your email address, the sender pays the PayPal charges. That is the way it has happened when I have bought things that people have put on the Pentax Forums Marketplace.

Regards

Chris Stone
02-28-2011, 11:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I believe that even if they send it "gift" it'll be hit with a cross-border transaction fee, which is 1%.
03-01-2011, 02:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The biggest scam PayPal has for International transfers is their conversion rate is always below the World Banks currency rate.

Here in Australia its always a couple of cents below the going rate.

03-01-2011, 06:48 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by metungnasi Quote
Hi I have a listing at the marketplace. Right now, Im open to buyers in continental US. I have been getting a lot of request to ship it outside US. My question if a buyer pays thru paypal. Will I be charged if they sent the money as a gift?, or how much do they charge with international transactions?
Two things.

First, this is against forum policy.

Second, If money IS sent as a gift it depends on the funding source whether there will be a charge or not. If it's a cash transfer then no (except as noted). If it is from a credit card then yes and the buyer (sender) gets to decide who pays the fees.

You're best bet is to just bury the cost of doing business in your items and leave it at a regular transaction. There are a few here who have learned that the hard way, mostly buyers.

03-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses. I guess I will just stick to US buyers to avoid any issues.
03-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by metungnasi Quote
Thanks for all the responses. I guess I will just stick to US buyers to avoid any issues.
Yes, you will avoid 'issues'. You will also avoid sales and money. In the past few months I've sold over 100 lenses, and a few dozen cameras and adapters and other photo paraphernalia. At least 1/3 of those, and often with the highest bids and profit margins, were to non-USA buyers.

The US$ remains weak. Other currencies are strong. Truth is, much of the rest of the world sees USA a a bargain basement for gear. Some Japanese buyers prefer USA sources of photo stuff because it's notably cheaper here. Yes, I've shipped old Japanese lenses to Japan! And old FSU lenses to Russia! A guy in Shanghai had no problem paying me US$105 (plus shipping) for a disassembled, parts, AS-IS Enna Lithagon 35/2.8 less than 2 months ago. Many of my sales go to China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore -- and Germany, Franc, Croatia, Dubai, Peru, all over!

Of my ~140 sales in this period, I have had maybe 2 'issues' and neither was very bothersome. And I estimate that I have netted maybe 25% more than had I limited sales to USA. To me, that is significant. YMMV. Good luck.

03-01-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Yes, you will avoid 'issues'. You will also avoid sales and money. In the past few months I've sold over 100 lenses, and a few dozen cameras and adapters and other photo paraphernalia. At least 1/3 of those, and often with the highest bids and profit margins, were to non-USA buyers.

The US$ remains weak. Other currencies are strong. Truth is, much of the rest of the world sees USA a a bargain basement for gear. Some Japanese buyers prefer USA sources of photo stuff because it's notably cheaper here. Yes, I've shipped old Japanese lenses to Japan! And old FSU lenses to Russia! A guy in Shanghai had no problem paying me US$105 (plus shipping) for a disassembled, parts, AS-IS Enna Lithagon 35/2.8 less than 2 months ago. Many of my sales go to China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore -- and Germany, Franc, Croatia, Dubai, Peru, all over!

Of my ~140 sales in this period, I have had maybe 2 'issues' and neither was very bothersome. And I estimate that I have netted maybe 25% more than had I limited sales to USA. To me, that is significant. YMMV. Good luck.
#1 to that,it's amazing what some people bitch and complain about,ie. "i just paid $200 for an item and now you are going to charge me $3 for paypal" or the paypal exchange rate is .11% different than the Bank rate,if they don't want to pay for privilege don't bid or make offer,and what to me is the most annoying is xenophobic sellers who only sell to US buyers because as you rightly stated they are losing MONEY,doesn't make any sense to me.
03-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by wwwmorrell Quote
The biggest scam PayPal has for International transfers is their conversion rate is always below the World Banks currency rate.

Here in Australia its always a couple of cents below the going rate.
Your complaining about a negligible charge difference for exchange rate? when the aussie dollar is the highest it has been for decades.
03-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Paypal is a business and business needs to make money to stay in business. A small nominal fee per transaction is nothing to pay for the services they provide. Imagine how hard it would be to buy/sell things without paypal. I've done A LOT of business through paypal throughout the years for my personal business and it does erk me to see the fees taken off payments sent to me I understand why they are there and I get over it quickly.
03-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I give preference to someone that can pay via an electronic bank payment, but I'm not sure if the technology is available to you in the US yet. It's more secure than Paypal as it's handled by the banks through Interac, you won't get dinged with a fee (sender pays a $1.50) and the money shows up in your bank account. It's worth looking into. I suspect Paypal will become obsolete once it does show up in the US.
03-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
I give preference to someone that can pay via an electronic bank payment, but I'm not sure if the technology is available to you in the US yet. It's more secure than Paypal as it's handled by the banks through Interac, you won't get dinged with a fee (sender pays a $1.50) and the money shows up in your bank account. It's worth looking into. I suspect Paypal will become obsolete once it does show up in the US.
That would be fine with me but for now, Paypal works if you use it properly.

03-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #13

The seller doesn't have to worry about the exchange rate. You'll still get your $100.00 - 3% unless you tell someone (against rules) that they are responsible for the paypal fees. Doesn't matter if the person is in the USA or France. The seller is going to end up with the same sum either way. The buyer is the one who gets a so-so exchange rate. But really, PayPal exchange rates aren't any worse than many banks. Personally, that whole sending money as a 'gift' seems silly. The fees are paid on one side or another no matter how it's designated. It just confuses the nature of the transaction.

Regardless, as others have said, if you REALLY want to sell your goods; consider worldwide. You'll have to fill out a customs form (easy) at the post office, but that's about the only 'issue' I can see. Your likely to sell faster and at your asking price--if it's realistic.
03-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Moved to general talk- the Q&A forum is only for photo stuff

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-01-2011, 09:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by darenka Quote
Personally, that whole sending money as a 'gift' seems silly. The fees are paid on one side or another no matter how it's designated. It just confuses the nature of the transaction.
I'm not advocating one way or another on the use of the gift payment, but just to clarify, the fee is not paid on one side or another no matter how it's designated. In the case of a gift payment within the US, there is no fee for either side providing the funds come from a bank account (not a credit card).