Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
wondering a bit myself. Where's the Nationals

Hmmm.. good question.

QuoteQuote:
But if this is a war on the Democratic party, and Wisconsinites have mobilized to an impressive extent, I can't help ask: Where are the national Democrats? Where is President Obama? Where is Vice President Biden? Where is the secretary of labor? Where is Harry Reid? Where is Nancy Pelosi? (A fund-raising e-mail went out in her name today, but that is the closest she's gotten to Madison.) Where are the Democratic U.S. senators who represent the states that border Wisconsin? Why has Wisconsin's Democratic U.S. senator, Herb Kohl, made only one appearance at the Capitol?

When the Republicans got pasted in the 2008 elections, they didn't run scared. They doubled down and stuck to their values. And with the help of lies about President Obama and health care reform, they were able to score a victory in 2010. And how have the Democrats reacted? By going into the fetal position and tripping over each other to move to the center (really to the right, as President Obama caved on extending the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy, which most Americans oppose, and Democratic senators formed a group to suggest more spending cuts).

The cower and cave strategy has never worked in the past, and it won't work now.

It's time the Democrats recognize that the GOP has declared war on them and their core constituencies. Waffling, capitulation and cowering in fear are not acceptable responses. Fighting back and defending themselves and the vast majority of Americans should be the plan.

I don't want President Obama to go down as the Neville Chamberlain of the 21st century, trying to placate enemies who seek his (political) destruction. Scott Walker and the national Republican party want to return the United States to the Hoover-era 1920s. Who is going to stop them?

03-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While I'm not a Democrat and not very Liberal, the lunatic fringe has taken over the Republican party and I'm surprised at the lack of response. The Republican party controlled Congress for many years and the White House for the previous 8 and yet they manage to sucker people into believing that Obama is responsible for all the nations problems.

The Republican platform-Make a mess out of everything and blame it all on the poor guy trying to clean it up.
03-05-2011, 06:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
While I'm not a Democrat and not very Liberal, the lunatic fringe has taken over the Republican party and I'm surprised at the lack of response. The Republican party controlled Congress for many years and the White House for the previous 8 and yet they manage to sucker people into believing that Obama is responsible for all the nations problems.

The Republican platform-Make a mess out of everything and blame it all on the poor guy trying to clean it up.
Thank you.
03-05-2011, 06:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pretty much.

03-05-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

You are right, sort of. Their platform isn't their problem. The lack of platform is their problem. They are essentially in the same position and condition that the Democrat party was in in 2004.
03-06-2011, 05:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You are right, sort of. Their platform isn't their problem. The lack of platform is their problem. They are essentially in the same position and condition that the Democrat party was in in 2004.
Repub. "platform" is intorable to the "small people" that's why they don't "wink wink" have a "platform"
Everywhere I turn in Gov. Walker's bill I see the "platform" and the people are saying WTF??? Whatever the immediate outcome here I see WI turning BLUE for a long.. long.. long.. time.

Oh We got us a Michael Moore........
03-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both parties have some serious problems. There are far too many politicians on the extreme ends running the show for both right now. Going back to 2008, there were insane proposals being knocked around by the loud screamers on both sides. Obama got elected because he didn't panic. Most of the economic policies the Republicans are whining about now came from the Bush administration. The bailouts, etc were Bush's plan and Obama was handed a gift wrapped can of worms. Now the Republicans are complaining. That doesn't surprise me but Obama should stop being so nice about it and throw it back in their face. He's trying to clean up their mess.

03-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

There are far too many politicians on the extreme ends running the show for both right now.
This I don't see - there are very few old time liberals with any real influence any more - and Nixon would be seen as a liberal and not a Republican, ditto for Eisenhower, and Bush I a RINO... and forget about Rockefeller! I'm reading the Morris bio of Teddy Roosevelt - that era has a lot in common with today - and he wouldn't be too easily accepted in the Republican party of today.

The old right is today's center, politically.
03-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
This I don't see - there are very few old time liberals with any real influence any more - and Nixon would be seen as a liberal and not a Republican, ditto for Eisenhower, and Bush I a RINO... and forget about Rockefeller! I'm reading the Morris bio of Teddy Roosevelt - that era has a lot in common with today - and he wouldn't be too easily accepted in the Republican party of today.

The old right is today's center, politically.
I would generally agree with that, but in 2008 there were quite a few Democrats in the primary who were to the left of Obama. Mike Gravel, Dennis Kucinich, Al Sharpton are a few of those. Perhaps they could be seen as "screamers" by someone who is not generally liberal.

I agree with you about how the Parties have moved. I was a Republican from the time of the first Nixon election, when I first became politically aware. Years later, I had to move right from Nixon to accept Clinton. Ronald Reagan said some catchy things to get elected, but those who followed actually took them seriously.
Closed Thread