Photos: Albums
Clean spectacles = bliss
03-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #33
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Mmmmm, doughnuts!
Now I want a donut. Raised with maple icing.
03-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #34
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is a Google Earth photo of where you can get the best doughnuts on earth.
It is on Anacortes Island, Washington

03-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #35
mel
Veteran Member

I'm going to Seattle in May. Maybe I'll have to slip over there. Donut King in Pflugerville Texas is pretty darn good too.

Aside from donuts, my lovely children left all kinds of stuff on the floor in the hallway (coats, shoes, musical instruments) and while trying to get to the thermostat on my way out the door to work, I tripped on it and crashed to the floor with my K-7 with the new Bigma attached. I'm just a little sick about it. Not to mention in pain.
03-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #36
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

That's horrible! Is the camera and lens okay? I mean, are you okay?
03-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #37
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That's horrible! Is the camera and lens okay? I mean, are you okay?
Seriously!!! When I knew I was going down I tried to turn to protect the camera and ended up taking the full force of the fall completely on my left kneecap. Holy cow it hurts. My camera grip and the lenshood have skidmarks from the paint on the wall but other than that I'm not sure. When I was finally able to get up without feeling like I was going to vomit from the pain I did a quick looksee and it works and the lens AFs and stuff but I had to go straight to work and haven't done any test shots yet so make sure it actually works for real.

I was home alone at the time but my dog was very concerned about me. So much so she had to see what I was making so much noise over. In the process of getting to me to check things out she stepped on my face (and she's a lab so not really a small dog either).

I suppose I should be somewhat concerned about the cello I fell over as well . . .

Last edited by mel; 03-09-2011 at 12:39 PM.
03-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Seriously!!! When I knew I was going down I tried to turn to protect the camera and ended up taking the full force of the fall completely on my left kneecap. Holy cow it hurts. My camera grip and the lenshood have skidmarks from the paint on the wall but other than that I'm not sure. When I was finally able to get up without feeling like I was going to vomit from the pain I did a quick looksee and it works and the lens AFs and stuff but I had to go straight to work and haven't done any test shots yet so make sure it actually works for real.

I was home alone at the time but my dog was very concerned about me. So much so she had to see what I was making so much noise over. In the process of getting to me to check things out she stepped on my face (and she's a lab so not really a small dog either).

I supposed I should be somewhat concerned about the cello I fell over as well . . .
Skidmarks on the Bigma?! There you go again, Mel--stealing my schtick. I'm guessing that knee's gonna be swollen up for a while. I sure hope the cello's ok.
03-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #39
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Skidmarks on the Bigma?! There you go again, Mel--stealing my schtick. I'm guessing that knee's gonna be swollen up for a while. I sure hope the cello's ok.
I have rental insurance for the cello. I hope the Bigma's okay.
03-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
I have rental insurance for the cello. I hope the Bigma's okay.
Seriously, I hope you're ok.
03-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oof, Mel. I hope you (and gear) are OK.

(The skid marks may be a hopeful sign, there, could mean the gear didn't take all the impact at once, at least. )

Maybe you could use your soccer skills to persuade the kids not to leave things there.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The rim is only a limiting factor in that the tire has to be wider than the rim. It doesn't matter how much wider. A 50+mm MTB tire on a 19mm wide rim is perfectly fine, but if this is a true road bike, particularly and older one, it is unlikely that the frame and/or fork will allow a tire much wider than 25. Depending on how old it is, it may even be a 27" and not a 700c so your tire choices would be more limited.
Yeah, don't worry, they're definitely 700s, ...rather proudly-marked, actually. There's enough clearance in back there to safely go a bit bigger, but not too much. (Front fork has scads of room.) Pretty recent bike, actually, maybe a 2003, 2004? (Where does the time go, though. ) Was a last-years' or the year before's model (but new) when we bought, and hasn't had a huge lot of mileage. I think I've changed tubes twice, and, tires maybe once. I can't remember if they had our size last time, but we've kept getting 'one more season' out of them for a couple years at least. Definitely time *now,* though.

Eeeeeh, this is unfair, allergy season here already... I think I'm allergic to this place, but I usually get Spring, I thought.

I may give in to the pill-popping culture and be a Sudafed junkie this year, though. This just took too much out of me last year.

In other news, just put respectable RAM in sweetie's machine, which now seems to be quite speedy, and, soon will set up my new *backup drive,* haha.

Soon as this weather passes, I will transfer some files, and then no more nervousness about not having enough backups, and enough free SD cards for me to be shooting some RAW out there. Seems like a good quality thing. (Couldn't get out of an average one very cheaply, but I did get what's supposed to be a very nice one on sale for a similar price. Certainly looks and feels pretty classy. Is a LaCie Minimus. ) )

(You know, when you install RAM cards, and they have that sticker on there that says what it is and 'Warranty Void If Removed,' does that mean you're intended to leave that sticker there or to remove it and void the warranty? )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 03-09-2011 at 01:45 PM.
03-09-2011, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

Stormy weather on the coastal ridges

Late rains have soak the soil thoroughly, sending ants up into every house around, and now the cold snap is driving the Sasquatches down from the hills - a trio were found dumpster-diving behind the Guerneville Safeway and could only be enticed away with dollops of squirrelburgers and hashish. A sticky confrontation was avoided.

The strong winds a couple weeks back played havoc with the Scartop Ranch spread over on Cazadero Ridge. A 150-foot redwood crashed down onto their meth cooker, 16 grow-lights were destroyed, and a hen with her tail to the wind laid the same egg nine times. Quite a mess.

Rafting season on the Russian River begins soon, and shark-spotters in Guerneville, Hacienda and Forestville are already wiping binoculars in anticipation of another glorious year of bloody carnage. At the mouth of Austin Creek below Cazadero it's expected that pumas will also make a fair catch of "raft-rats". Last year a number of French, German and Japanese rafters/kayakers contributed to the upkeep of our carnivores.

Wary locals canoe, towing manikins on surfboards as bait.

Last edited by RioRico; 03-09-2011 at 02:00 PM.
03-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Sick of winter is all I got to say.
Ok sick of winter and have to work all weekend that's all Ihave to say ....
ok sick and tired of winter , have to work all weekend and will gey a k5 in about 6 weeks (methinks)

ok that's all I really have to say .............
03-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Can't say I'm really sick of winter, being here in Seattle area where winter just kinda fakes it (I miss those nice crisp days with sunny skies and -15F temps!), but I will say I'm ready to get my hand into shape to grab a kayak paddle and get my keister out in the water! Dang carpal tunnels! :/

Jim
03-09-2011, 04:42 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Mmmmmmmm, lunchtime!