Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-18-2011, 06:36 PM   #91
Veteran Member

I am back from the coastal ridges, back in my Sierra Nevada mountain aerie at 3500 feet / 1050m. Heavy snow. MORE [expletive deleted] heavy snow. And the heater in our newish Nissan Murano stopped working yesterday. And the local shop can't fix it. And the shop that *can* fix it is 60 miles / 100km away, through endless snow drifts. Bugger all. The last snowfall like this (less than a month ago) left us without power for over a week. We had to move in with in-laws who have a generator and snowplow and weird political views. Bugger all.

03-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
We had to move in with in-laws who have a generator and snowplow and weird political views. Bugger all.

It was 81 degrees F today and I actually got some yardwork done. Didn't over do it--I've learned to take it easy as I emerge from Winter hibernation. Watched Bball on breaks.

Tomorrow, we repair the roof of the neighborhood garage. I'll find ways to be helpful on the ground.
03-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Off to sauna ... (cold beer in fridge too )
03-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #94
Forum Member

Um......Yeah......So.....

03-19-2011, 02:33 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Good luck Chris!
03-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yay, Chris!

Sure you're ready for the diurnal world, though? They're crazy.
03-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Off to sauna ... (cold beer in fridge too )
You lucky bugger.. No sauna here, stuck with bunch of barbarians who do not get "Lenkkimakkara and Turun musta sinappi and some cold Lapin Kulta.

03-20-2011, 01:40 AM   #98
Veteran Member

The Seatle ITT Sheraton had perfectly serviceable sauna when I was there for some Microsoft developer conference back in ~1995 or so Local barbarians were indeed totally ignorant of Lapin kulta, HK:n sininen lenkki, Turun Sinappi, salmiakki, fresh baked rye bread . The first item can be substituted by local offerings with fair if not exactly similar results though (Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Anchor Steam or Samuel Adams were quite acceptable, danger: lager - like coffee - mostly pretty watery )
03-20-2011, 05:23 AM   #99
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Most U.S. bottom fermented beer is terrible. Fortunately there are many small breweries now making ales. Sierra Nevada stout is really good, but I don't see around anymore. Anchor, which 30 or 40 years ago was the smallest commercial brewery in the country, also makes a Porter that is very good. My favorite is still Samuel Smith oatmeal stout.
03-20-2011, 12:02 PM   #100
Veteran Member

I just finished doctoring the cat, again. I have to do a load of laundry, clean out the fridge and clean the stove. Later I have to dye my hair and trim it so I'll look decent for my trip. Make sure I've got everything on my laptop that needs to be on there before I go.

Tomorrow I have to hit the library, pack my travel bag and my camera gear. Everything else is pretty much done. There are a couple of quick things I will have to do Tuesday morning, but I really don't want to have to think about doing too much that day other than getting myself on the right plane.

Looks like I will have to pack an umbrella though. It's going to be 50's and rainy in San Francisco all week. That likely means my Land's End trip is off, darn it. It will be too soggy for me to go out there.
03-20-2011, 12:20 PM   #101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Finally able to type with two hands again, mostly pain free. On Thursday night my left hand decided it was going to swell up. The swelling finally went away yesterday afternoon, but the fingers were still numb until this morning. At least it wasn't my foot that swelled this year. I hate the month of March.
03-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #102
Veteran Member

At perigee last night: Blizzard, gale-force winds, blackness, no moon.
Almost eauinox today, start of spring: Blizzard, swirling winds, no sun.
Power is iffy. Commo links too. Huge snow-dumps just out my window.
Road is blocked. Cars are buried. We are doomed. Life sucks. Aaargh.
03-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #103
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow, Rico. Where are you?

(Happy Spring, though, everyone, Sounds like some of us could use one. Almost time to pour myself a little mead. )

It's actually pretty timely this year down here, with the weather and things starting to green, though it's been a tough couple of weeks on my arthritis and whatever allergies this place triggers. More of a dry-bearings sort of ow than swelling, though.

No Sasquatch sightings, but this isn't a Spring Break destination.
03-20-2011, 01:32 PM   #104
Veteran Member

Wow RioRico, makes my cloudy windy snow-melting spring-trying-to-break-through days around here seem pretty decent. We were socked in here too for the Perigee moon, no luck
03-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Garage project did a number on my back. Predictable. I guess I'm still not old enough to be smart.