Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-07-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Generic General Talk Topic

The problem with General Talk these days is, the topics are getting too topical.

So this is a thread about nothing in particular.

I'm making some coffee, half-watching the West Wing, and generally doing fine. How are you?

03-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You mean like...
I finally made (or noticed one of my images) the "random album photos" last week.

Yeah. Other online message boards have a "Random Posts" thread or "Random Thoughts" thread. I had thought about starting a "Random Exposures" thread here a few times, but...
03-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I'm doing fine, just bored and waiting for a script to finish (searching out any references to old, obsolete bits of code so I can get an idea if we have to port 'em over to Oracle).

I like the idea of a generic non-topic Good idea, RML!

Jim
03-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I'm making some coffee, half-watching the West Wing, and generally doing fine. How are you?
B O R E D ! Really bored.
A bicycle shop, when it's only 5 degrees out, is not a very exciting place.

03-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K-5's in the shop, yesterday was wet & gloomy and today is windy so I'm taking a break from shooting and assembling a pair of Ikea dressers for my wife. Oh, and also trying to guess how big my impending credit card bill is gonna be.
03-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Finally dug out from the latest snow storm, we're over 170" on the season. Going to be around 40 the rest of the week. Floods, fun. If you watched NBC news last night you saw a wussy from the Weather Channel in a parka talking about the weather from Syracuse. The local news guy covering the national news guy was wearing a light jacket.

Just completed an auction for a S-M-C Tak 35/3.5. Hopefully it doesn't take more than a week to ship.
03-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Overheard at a church social: "Just because you had a thought doesn't mean you have to post it on Facebook." Just sayin'

Yesterday my son and I removed 15 panels of stockade-style privacy fence that our recent windstorm blew over. The city is willing to pick up the debris but I had to diassemble the panels and move the debris out to the curb.

I've never seen my neighbor's yard. It looks about like mine.

I just didn't feel like photographing during or after that chore!!

03-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good quote, Monochrome!
03-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Heehee. I could send you ours: you can fuss with this index shift and cable stretch. I need to improvise a third hand to even try it, Whatever happened to friction.

Anything good out there this year in a 700 road bike tire? Preferably good in rain, maybe a little traileyness? My sweetie will be riding these rims again this year, (I don't think getting us another bike will happen before the move, ) but it looks like this rubber is about cashed and a little safety might help my nerves.
03-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

You know, if it wasn't so dark out, it'd be light.

Larry
03-07-2011, 11:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Do you sell Electra brand? I bought a Townie this past autumn and love it.

Jason
03-08-2011, 04:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I slept for a few hours.
Now I'm up for a couple hours.
I'll sleep again soon, for a couple hours.
Then I must madly post some stuff on eBay 'cause I need the money.
Then I'll sit back and watch the snow. More snow. More [expletive deleted] snow.
Oops. Gotta write a birthday letter to my daughter.
So the snow will just have to wait.
But I need sleep anyway.
G'night.
03-08-2011, 05:12 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Today's the first game of my daughter's lacrosse season. Actually it's a just scrimmage but it'll be a shake-down outing for the new (to me) Sigma 100-300mm I got for Christmas.
03-08-2011, 06:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I play a little roller hockey sometimes three nights a week. Goaltender. Mostly these days I have retired myself to
just pick-up games but I still have enough competitiveness in me that if I feel I played poorly I am eager to get out soon and work on my mistakes. I played last Thursday and did not like the way I played and then could not play the regular Saturday morning session. (grind)
Then I got to watch the Flyers/Rangers game on tv Sunday which usually inspires me to play and enjoy the game.
Tuesday nights at the rink are always hit and miss but an email was sent around and we should have enough players tonight for two teams and subs. Now I just need to make some repairs to my catch glove.
03-08-2011, 07:35 AM   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote

Anything good out there this year in a 700 road bike tire? Preferably good in rain, maybe a little traileyness? ............
My all time favorite road tire is, and probably always will be, the Panaracer T-Serve. Very "tacky' tire with micro tread and rain grooves. Works really well in all conditions.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Do you sell Electra brand? I bought a Townie this past autumn and love it.

Jason
I sell Raleigh, Diamondback, and Sun. I always tell people to pay very little attention to brand. The vast majority of bike shop grade bikes come out of one of 5 factories. The quality and combination of the components that the bike has, and the way it was assembled and tuned at the dealer level is what determines how well it will work and hold up. The name stenciled on the side has little or nothing to do with it. That doesn't mean that they are all the same. Each brand/model has its own design, geometry, etc. Just like shoes, the fact that one fits your foot well and another doesn't, doesn't mean one is a better shoe than another. The absolute key to getting the best bike for you, is to get the one you want. Fit and feel should be the primary concern. Beyond that it is a balance of features and price.
If you ever go to a bike shop and they tell you that one brand (we're talking bike shop brands here, not mega-lo-mart) is better than another, find a different bike shop.