Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
Banned

Bachmann:Obama Gangster Government

Rep. Michelle Bachmann is refusing to take back her remark that President Obama runs a "gangster government."

She told "Meet the Press" that she stands by the blunt criticism she made recently. She says there are actions that have been taken by this government that she feel are corrupt.

03-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sill ol' Milly......
Trying to be hip.
She meant to say gangsta'!
That's a good thing in todays parlance.
I'd take it as a compliment.
03-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Rep. Michelle Bachmann is refusing to take back her remark that President Obama runs a "gangster government."

She told "Meet the Press" that she stands by the blunt criticism she made recently. She says there are actions that have been taken by this government that she feel are corrupt.

She's just mad because it's not a "Republican gangster government."
03-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Unlike Republican governments that run protection for oil schemes with foreign governments, kill foreign leaders, torture people...
Sounds like a subplot of The Godfather.

03-07-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Joe McCarthy in drag.
03-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You know, she's not my representative, but I wonder what every happened to statesmanship? The language used anymore....man. Is this Howard Sterns fault?
03-07-2011, 11:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
You know, she's not my representative, but I wonder what every happened to statesmanship? The language used anymore....man. Is this Howard Sterns fault?
She is my representative - I happen to live in her district, and I've met her briefly. Her husband is even more of a whack job than she is, if that can be believed.

To answer your question - no, it's not Howard Stern's fault, it's talk radio's fault. It's lowered our standards for public discourse to the point where someone like Michelle Bachman can say literally anything she wants and not have to care one iota about truth, fairness, courtesy.

Fox News is the more visible, mainstream form of that virus. I've often said (and I really mean it,) that this country is in more danger from Fox news and right-wing radio than Al Queda at this point.

There are regular Conservatives.... and then there are these people. They are something else, something new and hateful.

Excerpt from a local paper from 2006, before she was elected to Congress:

"...Or maybe she and her strategists think that advertising the extent of her Christian political vision would prove divisive even in the conservative Sixth. "She is absolutely a cold, calculating person," says Gary Laidig, the Republican she unseated en route to the state Senate in 2000. "It's always the same with her on campaigns: Nobody really knows who she is, and she just comes across as this petite, attractive soccer mom. And that's it. But the fact is, she's part of a group that is absolutely determined to take over the Republican Party. It's that wing of the party that's very much in step with people like Norm Coleman and the Taxpayers League. And the fact is that they know how to run races. Good races, too. From getting delegates to hitting phone banks, they cover it, and Michele's part of that.

"At the end of the day, her politics are like this: Everyone will have a gun, nobody will have an abortion, no one will pay taxes, everyone will go to church, and there won't be any more pinko liberal teachers in school."
"

And...

"...In 1992, Bachmann quit her job working for the Internal Revenue Service to become a stay-at-home mom. By that time, Marcus Bachmann had launched a career as a counselor/therapist. The couple eventually had five kids of their own (who now range in age from 11 to 23), and candidate Bachmann proudly notes that the couple has taken in 23 foster children over the years.

She didn't always stay at home, though. Increasingly, Bachmann was hitting the church and school circuit as a speaker, railing against what she deemed to be unreasonable federal and state mandates for education. She was a prized pupil in something called the Maple River Education Coalition, which later became EdWatch. (Former Governor Jesse Ventura once said of them, "The Maple River group, they think UFOs are landing next month. They think it's some big government federal conspiracy!") According to the mission statement on its website, EdWatch is concerned about the "undermining" of "constitutional freedoms" due in part to the country's "entire educational system." In the words of one editorial column reposted at the site, "Public education is not among the enumerated powers of the federal government."

Anytime there was a school issue in the east metro, Bachmann was there. "In 1993 or '94, Michele was stumping anti-standards rhetoric," longtime Stillwater School Board member Mary Cecconi recalls. "I went to a church in Lake Elmo, because I wanted to hear her. Everything she said was met with catcalls and 'hallelujah' and 'amen sister.'"

By this time, Bachmann had become one of the founders of the New Heights Charter School, one of the first charter schools in the country. By law, charter schools have to be overseen by a public school district because they are funded, at least in part, by public money as tax-exempt nonprofits. In the fall of 1993, Denise Stephens had one daughter teaching at the school, and one daughter enrolled in the ninth grade. It was the first year that school at New Heights was in session as part of the Stillwater school district.

According to Stephens, it became clear that the charter school's board of directors was populated with right-wing Christians, all of them seeming acolytes of Bachmann. "I started raising questions about whether we were using public money to fund a religious school," Stephens recalls. Among the proposals coming from Bachmann and company was to expand the curriculum to teach creationism. The directors of the charter school, she recalls, were also advocating that "something called '12 Christian principles' be taught, very much like the 10 Commandments." One of the final straws for Stephens, who notes that she's been "a Republican since 1978," was that school officials would not allow the Disney movie Aladdin to be shown because it involved magic and supposedly taught paganism.

Stephens and other parents soon had confrontational meetings with Bachmann and the rest of the charter school group. "One member of Michele's entourage talked about how he had visions, and that God spoke to him directly," Stephens says. "He told us that as Christians we had to lay our lives down for it. I remember getting in the car with my husband afterward and telling him, 'This is a cult.'"

(This closely echoes something former state Senator Laidig says about Bachmann: "She's kind of a spooky person. She's one of those people who feels that God is speaking directly to her, and that justifies her actions.
"
)"

Read more ----> here.

Last edited by jsherman999; 03-08-2011 at 12:18 AM.
03-08-2011, 05:05 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
She is my representative
Oh, man, I'm so sorry--now I understand your sig line ;~). It must really creep you out to live among folks who vote for her.
03-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The sad thing is that there must be a huge amount of anger and resentment to be able to see gangsterism in Obama's administration, enough to make the entire view point seem delusional. Factual and ideological opposition is one thing; even opponents who can see each other have some things they may appreciate about each other, and this I take as indication that the person could actually govern properly. The delusional ranting has traditionally been the province of the press and local political operatives: something the 'real' politicians take care to distance themselves from.