Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Polo shirts.

What is it about them that you would shell out big money like Abercombie and Fitch, Ashworth and so on?

03-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
*Moved to Generic General Talk Topic.*

Oh, I'm just kidding. Forget about me.
03-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
What is it about them that you would shell out big money like Abercombie and Fitch, Ashworth and so on?
Nothing. I don't. Truthfully I think people who pay good money to be a walking billboard for someone elses business just to wear a particular brand name, are damn fools.

03-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Nothing. I don't. Truthfully I think people who pay good money to be a walking billboard for someone elses business just to wear a particular brand name, are damn fools.

Yup, that's the truth.

03-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
Pentaxian

For the longest time, perhaps a couple years, I wondered what else was in "Hollister" (a town in California (with a historic mission building, I think)) that would cause people to wear a shirt advertising that city...
03-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
For the longest time, perhaps a couple years, I wondered what else was in "Hollister" (a town in California (with a historic mission building, I think)) that would cause people to wear a shirt advertising that city...
Commemoration of the infamous 1947 Hells Angel 'cycle run that inspired the Marlon Brando flic THE WILD ONE. And EAST OF EDEN was in the neighborhood. But Hollister itself? Feh. I'm reminded of a t-shirt naming a certain south-central Oregon town, pronounced CHILL-o-Kwin.

Front: WHERE THE HELL IS CHILOQUIN?
Back: 40 MILES FROM SPRAGUE, OF COURSE
03-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

*whssst.*

Most guys don't look good in polo shirts anyway. Whatever brand. Chances are, if you think you're an exception, you should think again.

03-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
Well, a true LaCoste polo shirt, made of 11 oz. cotton using the original mesh weave is a marvelous garment to wear when playing, well, polo, in hot weather. Also good for tennis.

$85 for such a shirt to wear when you pay to go out, too? Hell, my business shirts don't cost that, and I get paid when I wear them!
03-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Polos are comfortable for casual wear but I see many now sell at ridiculous fashion prices.

Polos are also practical for many in the workplace. I wear them every day at work.
My current batch are King Louie brand, union made in USA, about $25 each.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 03-10-2011 at 03:26 PM.
03-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

I like this, straight to the point and blunt. Nice one Jeff

I like polo shirts occasionally, and also wear them for work. Find them a lot more comfortable than your standard long sleeve business shirt. But no, I don't pay large amounts of money for brand name ones. Oh and the work ones are free...
03-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
*whssst.*

Most guys don't look good in polo shirts anyway. Whatever brand. Chances are, if you think you're an exception, you should think again.
I do think I'm an exception. I thought about it again. I still think I'm an exception. My wife thinks so, and she is the only one that counts. I have maybe 12 or so polo shirts and I buy them at either Lands' End ($19.00) or Kohls (usually on sale for $12.00). I can get either brand in XL Tall and neither brand has a logo on it.
03-11-2011, 12:57 PM   #12
Site Supporter

I was at Land's End near Christmas time and bought a closet full on discount at about $5 each (normally $25 or so).

I've got a single Land's End polo that came from a former employer that is super comfortable. I think it is somehow different from the normal LE stuff.

I wouldn't buy expensive shirts. Fashion isn't my thing.
03-12-2011, 09:12 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Polo shirts are really nothing more than a T shirt with a collar. They are popular because they fit into the "business casual" dress code required by many companies and also some eating establishments and and bars. I own a few for this reason. I usually buy mine at the Wholesale Club as they are still quite cheap there and better quality (don't shrink up 2 sizes in the wash) than Walmart's. One advantage of a polo over a Tee is the collar helps prevent camera strap chafing over a long day. BJ's sells the IZOD ones for about $12-16 bucks if having a brand logo is important to you. There are usually many under $10.
03-12-2011, 11:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
I do think I'm an exception. I thought about it again. I still think I'm an exception. My wife thinks so, and she is the only one that counts.
See, now someone did your 'thinking again' *for* you there. You're probably safe.
03-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Working under and inside equipment on the job I am often forced into awkward uncomfortable positions.
The stretchy material and nonbinding fit of polo shirts makes them very practical for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
One advantage of a polo over a tee is the collar helps prevent camera strap chafing over a long day.
Excellent point! That alone would be reason enough for me...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 03-12-2011 at 01:49 PM.