Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
MP3 Player HELP!!!

We bought a new Lincoln MKZ Hybrid a couple of weeks ago and it has the SYNC media system with the Nav. and all that stuff.
It only came with a single load CD player but it has a plug-in for a MP3 player with a built in Hard Drive in the radio. But it only works with certain MP3 players.

My question:: Does anyone know which one of the following MP3 players would be the best to buy. I have a very old one that dosen't work with the system but all of the following do.
Thanks

Last edited by Fl_Gulfer; 04-26-2017 at 08:36 PM.
03-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I would like to avoid Apple products also.
03-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will your stereo also play mp3 disc? Just curious.
From that extensive list, the only qualifying digital music device I have is the iPod Touch.
I have a Memorex and RCA jobber that I sometimes play in my 2006 mini van via cassette adapter and rarely use any of these in the 2009 Malibu since my wife loves satellite radio so much.

Sorry to bother you.
03-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I would like to avoid Apple products also.
I generally hate the hell out of apple, but I've got to admit my Ipod touch is spectacular.

Have you checked into the Snyc aspect of your new car though? I believe the Sync stereo is run by microsoft, and might only be compatible with their players. The zune is a decent mp3 player, but is an even more locked down player than apples (when you consider apps on the touch, which are endless, free or cheap, and a blast).

Edit: I see the list you provided is from the ford site, my bad! Anyway, alot of those are extremely dated - if it does in fact simply read the files, it'll likely do that with most mp3 players available.

Last edited by pxpaulx; 03-10-2011 at 12:22 PM.
03-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With at least our little MP3 player, while the proprietary software is junk, confusion, fail, and lameness, an old Windows machine can just drag and drop files in and out... Baddabing.

Cheap little fellow, though. (A Philips.)
03-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I haven't tried a MP3 disc, but the book says the radio will play a audio DVD.
And yes this is a Microsoft SYNC system. It will also show Photo's (1.5mg JPEG only) on the 8" screen that I can put into it. It has a 10g HD for media.
03-11-2011, 07:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
My wife and daughter have iPods, and they say they like them.
Of course like most Apple users they have never tried anything else.

I refuse to be tied to iTunes and Apple. I have tried several different brands.
I prefer the Creative Labs players for their easy-to-use interface and good sound quality.
My current player is an original Creative Zen. This older model is currently available at a very low price.

Chris
My Ipod Touch is by far the best, and not the only I've tried:

Microsoft Zune 30gb (first gen)
Microsoft Zune current gen 16gb
3 different gen sandisk sansas and the sandisk clip
ipod shuffle, nano (2nd gen)
Archos 402, 605 wifi
creative stone, zen MX
sony nwzs545

I've had the touch for a year now, and none of the above come close. I absolutely hate the closed down system that apple runs - but - with the app store, there is so much flexibility, and well, basically between the touch and iphone they easily have the most market saturation. There is a reason for that (which I hate to admit!) - the touch and iphone are extremely good products.

03-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your input..
I sat and read for a couple of hours and updated my old MP3 players firmware then used Windows Media Player in SYNC mode to store the files on the player and tried it again and it worked.
What a bitch just to play some music in a car.
I love the milege we are getting in the new Hybrid (38 mpg)but I still miss our Toyota Cars Quality.
03-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sansa Fuze/Clip is on that list and I highly recommend it. Sansa makes some great little music players. I have a Philips now and I like it, but honestly I think the sound on my Sansa players so far has been much better. I'm grabbing a Clip+ nest time or maybe a Fuze.
03-11-2011, 03:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good to hear you got yours working. While I am in no way an Apple Fan or Anti Apple I lile to go with the underdogs when I can. We avoided the ipod for years but always compared whatever I had to it. We now have ipod Classic (huge HD) - ipod Touch and recently an ipad - there are some things Applie just does best