Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #46

You don't believe in God...but you turn to "spirituality" at times like these. How's that working out for ya? My thoughts turn to Mike Cash also, but how about if we express those thoughts in a manner that might do a bit more good??? We could do that like this: Hey Mike, (and any others affected by this horrific tragedy) seeing what is going on in Japan, how could we best, as a group of concerned friends, assist you in the midst of this tragedy?

03-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Gods, man, take it easy.

As for Mike, well, hopefully we'll see him, soon, and he can say whether or not he appreciates that we've been variously thinking of /praying for him. I presume he's got his hands full at the moment, one way or another.

Yes, *polite,* though, in precisely the way you're not being by turning the occasion of the misfortune of others toward, well, something that might get bumped to P&R. But, this is no time to impose, you know?

Yeah, we all care, and the 'I'll have a thought for you' implies those thoughts might be prayers. Or not.
03-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
on second thought. don’t bother. I feel its pointless to muck up this thread with debate. I want to take a moment to give my thoughts to Mike Cash and his family who live in Gunma Perfecture. I hope you all are safe, and I hope you get a chance to let all of your friends here on the forums know that you are, soon. hopefully my meager donation to the Red Cross will be helpful, and I hope others donate as well. also, godspeed to the Japanese and American armed forces in Japan who will be at the forefront of disaster relief. (even if my thoughts and hopes do nothing!)

Yeah. At least the Japanese government's been well aware of the likelihood/inevitability of this sort of thing and been as generally-prepared as possible. I've seen their firefighters. Pretty impressive. According to our President, they've primarily requested help with airlift, which'll hopefully be a 'can-do,' ...I think some of ours may actually stationed there.

This is a big job, though, make no mistake. At least Gunma Prefecture is well-inland.
03-11-2011, 03:37 PM   #49
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by clmonk Quote
You don't believe in God...but you turn to "spirituality" at times like these. How's that working out for ya? My thoughts turn to Mike Cash also, but how about if we express those thoughts in a manner that might do a bit more good??? We could do that like this: Hey Mike, (and any others affected by this horrific tragedy) seeing what is going on in Japan, how could we best, as a group of concerned friends, assist you in the midst of this tragedy?
I never said I turned to spirituality, I said others do. so nothing to ‘work out’. if I could afford to hop on a plane to Japan and go help I actually would. I drove to Louisiana from Texas when Katrina hit to help out (leaving my cameras at home) and I don’t regret it one bit. im sorry I cant afford to go help, but I doubt I could do anything the Japanese government and American military cant though. Ill just have to hope the donated money will help save lives.

03-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have a friend who lives in toyko. Trying to get ahold of her.
This a'int good. Horrible thing to happen
03-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dma110 Quote
Have a friend who lives in toyko. Trying to get ahold of her.
This a'int good. Horrible thing to happen
*hugs* I've heard that Web-based stuff like Skype is working in a lot of places where other things aren't. Last I heard a lot of cell service was down.
03-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #52
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
*hugs* I've heard that Web-based stuff like Skype is working in a lot of places where other things aren't. Last I heard a lot of cell service was down.
this is how my fiancée and I keep in constant contact. but I also have a cell phone with a philippine SIM card. its true though that usually when cell service is down, internet service si still up. Skype is a true ‘godsend’. cant live without it.

03-11-2011, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow, how dense can some people be?

It's called solidarity. Or call it empathy. It's what makes us human. Now, not everyone has to think that making such posts helps anyone. That is their prerogative. But clogging the thread with negative thoughts is a lot like pissing on someone's parade.

Except this is not a parade -- it's a funeral wake. So that makes the act darned close to what I might call "evil".

The alternative is that I am wrong about all of this and also wrong to care about my friends in Japan.

Last edited by rparmar; 03-11-2011 at 05:04 PM.
03-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Anyone heard from dnas? Fontan? nikuyakun?

The sun is up and the damage looks very bad. There are parts of Sendai that may have permanently sunk under sea level.

BTW, at least three nuclear power plants are swept up in all of this (not literally, thankfully). The first that caused all the concern is now out of emergency (and shut down, if I understand correctly). But twenty minutes ago they discovered that the cooling pond at a second plant (in Fukushima prefecture) was approaching the boiling point. This is far from a simple situation.
03-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
this is how my fiancée and I keep in constant contact. but I also have a cell phone with a philippine SIM card. its true though that usually when cell service is down, internet service si still up. Skype is a true ‘godsend’. cant live without it.
Internet was down both into and within Japan for a good while this morning. No phone, no mobile and no Skype.
03-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #56
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Internet was down both into and within Japan for a good while this morning. No phone, no mobile and no Skype.
I would be so terrified if I had family there. I really wish I could do more to help.
03-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Fuji TV is reporting this morning that the sea-shore nuclear power plant in Fukushima has radiation levels at 70x normal .. just at the entrance to the facility. There is at least one reported death from undetermined cause.

They've decided to vent some steam from the site, saying that the level of radiation exposure will be equal to that of an x-ray exam.
03-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Fuji TV is reporting this morning that the sea-shore nuclear power plant in Fukushima has radiation levels at 70x normal .. just at the entrance to the facility. There is at least one reported death from undetermined cause.

They've decided to vent some steam from the site, saying that the level of radiation exposure will be equal to that of an x-ray exam.
Yeah, I was catching some real coverage on various national news just now... this is pretty bad, with the estimated casualty counts and something of a sense of the damage.

The nuclear plants, yeah, that's pretty touch-and-go, but speaking of kami, be glad of the offshore breeze, at least. And pray they get/have got those backup cooling pumps up and things hold. There's yet likely to be aftershocks. Very nervous.
03-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clmonk Quote
The only thing that would be of any help to me is for someone to call the MOL container yard in Tokyo and tell them to hurry up and announce what hundreds of us sitting in line for hours and hours knew before we even started out for Tokyo: that the yard will not open today.

The only damage I had was some stuff I had piled on my scanner fell off, that I had to drive to the next town to pick up from his high school my son who commutes by train, and that I showed up for my photo club meeting last night only to learn it had been cancelled.

There are places which have been devastated, but the vast majority of us were merely inconvenienced.

I sincerely appreciate any thoughts wondering about my well-being, whether they were publicly expressed or not. But I must confess that I am another who has never understood engaging in generalized expressions of compassion online during events such as this. Conspicuous displays of compassion certainly don't hurt anyone so I don't object to them....but to hijack the vulgar expression about the power of wishing...."Express compassion for strangers halfway around the world in one hand and sh•t in the other and see which one gets full first."

Dropping a few pennies in the Red Cross collection jar at your local 7-11 in total silence is of more real benefit than the most sincere and heartfelt expressions of compassion absent donation or direct action. The only benefit arising from expressions lacking either of those is that the person offering up the expression not only gets to feel better about himself for caring but also makes sure that others think more highly of him for being a compassionate person. I have always refrained from making such expressions because they have always struck me as somewhat self-serving.

Now I guess I'll stand by for my share of hate for saying I have never understood this particular aspect of human behavior either.
03-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #60
Veteran Member

I just think that people when faced with something that is completely beyond their control and something that they have no way of directly helping the victims feel that they have to express their feeling to the people to let them know that they are not alone in their suffering and that there are people out there that feel for them even though they may not be able to help them in a physical sense of help. I think its more psychological for those that express the concern as for those for whom the concern is expressed.