Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
The first thing I thought about when I read about it this morning was the people at Pentax.
You know, this is sort of on a different scale and time-frame than immediate-national-emergency needs, but as a good-sized chunk of the international Pentax community, here, we could do worse than send *some* demonstration of support and comfort to the Pentax Japan people: this is the kind of disaster that'll touch everyone, even if they're doing OK personally.

This is quite apart from sending material help/charity, and all those important things (There'd be an etiquette about these things anyway): I don't even know where their offices are, and all that: the staff at their retail outlet in Tokyo or the offices might *not* be needing emergency supplies, but they may well be afraid for relatives, have suffered personal losses, etc. maybe in a tough time, speaking of things we-who-are-too-far-away can do, maybe we can put something together here, some message of personal-comfort and emotional support and all.

If we can give 'Pentax' a hard time about engineering and marketing here, we can remember there's people behind that brand name, people who may be hurting. Yeah, we can send em a big fancy e-card.

How bout it?
03-12-2011, 12:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Japan hit by magnitude 8.9 earthquake - Framework - Photos and Video - Visual Storytelling from the Los Angeles Times
61 New Photo's from Japan. Just unbelievable
03-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds good to me.

Adam, if we can make one, any way you know of to deliver the whole thread to the right place? Corporate email or whatever? I'd happily sign it and I'll gladly volunteer to make the card if no one else wants to? I think we all should actually to let them know we care about more than just our favorite cameras getting made right now. I'll do it tonight then send it to Adam to be approved. Maybe he can then post it in a thread, where it can be signed by us, and then sent?

All of you, when you sign, can you post a small pic of your favorite Pentax camera with your signature too? I think that would be a nice touch. Let them know who you are and that we are Pentax people, thinking of them at this terrible time.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
You know, this is sort of on a different scale and time-frame than immediate-national-emergency needs, but as a good-sized chunk of the international Pentax community, here, we could do worse than send *some* demonstration of support and comfort to the Pentax Japan people: this is the kind of disaster that'll touch everyone, even if they're doing OK personally.

This is quite apart from sending material help/charity, and all those important things (There'd be an etiquette about these things anyway): I don't even know where their offices are, and all that: the staff at their retail outlet in Tokyo or the offices might *not* be needing emergency supplies, but they may well be afraid for relatives, have suffered personal losses, etc. maybe in a tough time, speaking of things we-who-are-too-far-away can do, maybe we can put something together here, some message of personal-comfort and emotional support and all.

If we can give 'Pentax' a hard time about engineering and marketing here, we can remember there's people behind that brand name, people who may be hurting. Yeah, we can send em a big fancy e-card.

How bout it?

03-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #20

Does anyone know where the Pentax factory is located at in Japan? Is it in North Japan where the earthquake was the worst, or in Tokoyo or even farther south?
03-13-2011, 03:41 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxRev Quote
Does anyone know where the Pentax factory is located at in Japan? Is it in North Japan where the earthquake was the worst, or in Tokoyo or even farther south?
There is no Pentax factory any more. Only Hoya in Tokio. And main production facilities for DA/DFA/FA ltd lenses and cameras are in Vietnam and Philippines.
03-13-2011, 03:57 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxRev Quote
There is no Pentax factory any more. Only Hoya in Tokio. And main production facilities for DA/DFA/FA ltd lenses and cameras are in Vietnam and Philippines.

03-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #23

Facebook to raise 100k for Japan Please like this page to raise money to help Japan.

I posted this in Mike's Thread but I guess this is more appropriate post.
03-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Don't they have a repair shop for Pentax there though? That's more what I was thinking of, that and the office people for Pentax/Hoya.
03-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Don't they have a repair shop for Pentax there though? That's more what I was thinking of, that and the office people for Pentax/Hoya.
They don't have any on their map of locations in Japan.
03-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I've donated to my local Red Cross as they're part of the 'first responders" in such crises they can purchase the necessities right away; water, blankets and medicine to be shipped first other things as tents and cots or sleeping bags follow right after.
03-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Pentax had their factory at Mashiko north of Tokyo, which is still listed as an office. That was where they had the Pentax Camera Museum.
Anyway the quake will affect a lot of Japanese industries due to enforced power cuts.
03-15-2011, 11:19 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Satellite Photos - Japan Before and After Tsunami - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com
Click either side of each photo to see the difference.