Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have I dug myself into a hole? (Paypal question)

So, to the chase: I'm under 18 (though only for 5 more months ), but I recently sold something on craigslist (thanks to those who helped me out with that, too). I shipped it to them and they paid me via paypal without a hitch.

However, I'm now trying to figure out how I can get the money into my own hands and out of paypal's, but I'm not sure how I can go about doing that.

1) I would just get my bank info and directly withdraw it, but I'm paranoid that if they cross check my information, they'll find that I'm under 18 and freeze my account for 6 months or whatever

2) I could make a new account and send it to that, link that with my mom's name (current one is linked to my name) and send it off to her bank account through that. Only thing is paypal might be all suspicious that a 30 second old account is receiving $300...

3) The best option I'm looking at is if my sister/her boyfriend have a paypal account that I can send it off to, but that's a pretty big if....

So, any help is very much appreciated! Thanks (:

03-15-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I see no reason why putting in your bank info would reveal your age.
03-15-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you are scared you can always keep that money there to buy another lens...
The thing is that i don't think your bank will send any kind of personal info to paypal.You'll give your bank account and paypal will deliver the money (i'm pretty sure they don't check every single transaction so relax and enjoy your money).
03-15-2011, 08:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Coeurdechene Quote
If you are scared you can always keep that money there to buy another lens...
The thing is that i don't think your bank will send any kind of personal info to paypal.You'll give your bank account and paypal will deliver the money (i'm pretty sure they don't check every single transaction so relax and enjoy your money).
+1 on this. I doubt the bank can even release your personal info due to various laws without written permission from you

I'd likely spend it on another lens before i even got it out lol

03-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Money flows (or dribbles) into and out of my PayPal account, but rarely as cash. Cash? What is this stuff called cash, or effectivo? Anyway, I sell stuff, and money moves in. I buy stuff, and money moves out. Some sold items need to be shipped, but shipping might not be payable online (USPS 1st Class International, for example), so I run up a credit-card charge -- which account I then reimburse with a transfer from PayPal. Whatever is left in the PayPal balance will pay for more goodies. LBA, me? Of course not...

[/me fondles ~200 lenses, glances about greedily]

Anyway, no, your personal info won't be communicated. Probably. The financial community has bigger fish to fry, as it were. But just to be safe, keep your money within PayPal till your b'day. Buy more stuff. Sell more stuff. Make the world go 'round.
03-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well the thing is, I just sold a FA50 via paypal/craigslist, and I'm about to sell my DA40.

The funds from those 2 add up to.... /drumroll

FA43.

But I guess it sounds okay to just move it directly into my bank account then, thanks guys! (:
03-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I'd likely spend it on another lens before i even got it out lol
The last few months this has been a huge problem for me :ugh:

"Oh, well I'll just leave the money in there to pay my phone bill today." Buy a lens instead
QuoteOriginally posted by jaieger Quote
Well the thing is, I just sold a FA50 via paypal/craigslist, and I'm about to sell my DA40.

FA43.

But I guess it sounds okay to just move it directly into my bank account then, thanks guys! (:
Depending on what "account type" you have (Merchant, Personal etc) you can only move so much money through PP per month. $500 may be creeping up on that limit for a Personal account so you may want to verify that. I think that's for receiving money only...don't think there's a limit on paying (since PP loves collecting fees from the receiver).

03-15-2011, 04:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaieger Quote

FA43.

or used fa43 via paypal and change for more
03-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
krp
Veteran Member

I didn't know you have to be 18 to use Paypal. I'm your age and I've had an account since I was 13.
03-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Can you pay using paypal at either Adorama or B&H? if you can just leave it with them until you are ready to buy the 43mm.
03-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Depending on what "account type" you have (Merchant, Personal etc) you can only move so much money through PP per month. $500 may be creeping up on that limit for a Personal account so you may want to verify that. I think that's for receiving money only...don't think there's a limit on paying (since PP loves collecting fees from the receiver).
I have a personal account. I have had no trouble receiving over US$1000 in one month. I have seen nothing about limits. Yes, PP loves you when you spend/send money. PP also loves you when you receive money, because they take a cut of that too, straight from your pocket. PP probably must report USA transactions of US$10,000 or more -- that's USA law. But the more money you send and/or receive, the more money they make. Where did you see anything about limits?
03-16-2011, 06:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I seem to recall there are limits on "unverified" accounts, these were kind of high though and I'd rather keep spoon feeding the account with local bank transfers than give them a way to charge me directly. This probably means I won't be selling anything on ebay either. The trouble with them is that even a $2 item not received issue can get impossible to straighten out like so: I order and pay a $2 item, in a couple of weeks there is a unpaid-item case, I provide paypal email receipt, case closed, but I get no item, refund, nor even change to leave feedback to the seller (the normal interface for feedback or opening a dispute of my own has been disabled for this item since the bogus unpaid item case). Emails to them where I try to explain the situation and invoke buyer protection have no effect.
03-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Yep, unverified accounts can only withdraw $500/mo https://www.paypal.com/helpcenter/main.jsp;jsessionid=vz13NCLNH7gyk7sMv7p8pX...rInstance=9016

They don't say how much you can send using your unverified PP account (besides the federal $10k number) https://www.paypal.com/helpcenter/main.jsp;jsessionid=vz13NCLNH7gyk7sMv7p8pX...rInstance=9016
03-18-2011, 11:45 AM   #14

Does Pay Pal write checks and mail? If so that would be an option.
03-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks very much to all your help/comments, it's worked out perfectly : D